Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Alone or with someone?

DLTH

DLTH

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2011
Guy I use to workout with moved. I liked having somebody to go with that is similar in strength and doesn't want to talk about anything other than the gym and our workout. I don't like bugging guys for spots and sometimes when there is only skinny dudes in they gym I know I'm gonna get one of those spots on bench that just ruins my day. Don't touch the bar! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You guys have had some shitty workout partners it would seem. I'm surprised that yall aren't able to find someone who has the same drive. Someone who isn't there to talk, slow you down, hold you back, etc.

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
I have a workout partner for about 1/2 my workouts. It helps to push things to the next level. It always makes a difference in the mirror after a month or so.

Shovel

Shovel

Oct 21, 2010
For those who train alone how are you able to go "balls out" on squats, bench, etc without having a partner there who knows how to spot your properly? I mean I don't trust some random weekend warrior to give me a lift off when I'm benching or get a spot when I'm squatting. Not to mention if you're squatting very heavy, ideally you want more than 1 person spotting you (ideally you want 3, 1 on each side and 1 behind) in case you aren't able to hit the lift.
This was my problem, not being able to go balls out alone. You might think you are until you lift with a partner, then you realize you were only about 80%. I've had a partner for 4 months now and it makes all the difference for me. You gotta do what you gotta do, but I like having a partner alot better than not. Just wish he was at the same level I'm at...
Good partners are few and far between too.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
I have a few friends that I train with but not as a group, usually I'll scroll threw my contacts and hit them up one by one till I find somebody ready to go... I don't really need a spot because Im nursing my shoulder right now but I feel like I have to push harder and longer when I'm around friends... When I'm by myself I rely on music and get pissed off at that ugly dude in the mirror, so I can go either way but I prefer a partner when possible.... Sometimes tho I need some alone time in the gym.

ozzy69

ozzy69

MuscleHead
Apr 5, 2011
alone---a partner would be nice for spots, in my gym there isnt anyone that can pull 315 off me if a bench press goes wacky or something

A

afton

Sep 19, 2011
For those who train alone how are you able to go "balls out" on squats, bench, etc without having a partner there who knows how to spot your properly? I mean I don't trust some random weekend warrior to give me a lift off when I'm benching or get a spot when I'm squatting. Not to mention if you're squatting very heavy, ideally you want more than 1 person spotting you (ideally you want 3, 1 on each side and 1 behind) in case you aren't able to hit the lift.

Probably get slammed for it but I use the smith for any heavy bar work. Means I can go 100% safely. Without a spotter I don't really have another option...

hips

hips

Jan 8, 2012
Afton, you gotta do what you gotta do...nobody betta slam you for your post. :)

lymbo

lymbo

TID Lady Member
Dec 21, 2011
i work out alone 5 am or i take the kids at 10 when child care opens. i had a trainner for legs for awhile dont no what happened to him? typical juice head gets paid for 10 weeks and doesnt show up after the 2nd week...please don't be offended by my comment on this type.. been around this industry for a long time...they're all the same ...

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
From 09 to about 6 months ago I was working out alone... as in, no one else in the gym. This was very nice and got me quite spoiled. No waiting for anything. For the past 6 months, I go to a keyed gym. Sometimes it's empty, which I love and sometimes it's full of teenage knuckleheads, which I don't love. They like to hang out wherever I need to go for some reason. The other day 6 of them were doing synchronized plate raises in front of the mirror. I just about fell over. As to the training partner, never had one and the only way I'd want one is if there was no talking and constant movement. I like to get into a mental zone when lifting and chit chat doesn't work for me.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic