Threads
Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls

Advice for deadlift explosion off the ground

K

kaoticsolja

Nov 2, 2014
What do you guys use for sticking at the bottom of a big pull... I don't know if it's just me or others but I can address the bar and pull and feel like it budge... Maybe even 2 times.... But the 3rd time it comes up clean and feels light once above the shins... Negative deads seem to be hit or miss... Does anyone have some advice... I am 5'7 and pull 405 at 165...

K

kaoticsolja

Nov 2, 2014
Iv read pulling from a deficit and speed pulling helps.. Anyone use this?

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I have recently been experimenting with 'grip and rip'. I am a very slow puller off the ground and after I move it a few inches, I accelerate towards lockout. I have found part of my issue may be related to my setup. (stuck at 635 @ 205lbs bw) I spend too much time "down" setting up getting ready to pull. What I notice, is that setting my breath in the bent over position, I cant get a big enough breath to effectively push against.

I have seen many of the top guys hold their arms out and stand erect while in front of the bar. The take a huge breath, then bend down and just pull on that single breath. I am now trying to integrate this technique to my form. I am using a light weight of something I can rep 15-20reps if I just do a straight set. With 405, I stand at the bar and set up as I described. I take the breath, bend down and just rip it up. I set it down and re-do the whole setup. (You get pretty winded holding your breath this much and I only get 10 reps or so before I am gassed doing it like this.

I have yet to try to carry up the weight and see how this will work with heavier weights, but I believe it will be significant off the ground with the extra inter-abdominal pressure I am able to generate. I am fairly lean and I can only tighten a belt so much. Generating pressure to push against can be a little tough.

I agree with deficits but also consider the setup....

K

kaoticsolja

Nov 2, 2014
This is great man... I have noticed a lot of the top pullers grip and rip with a lot of confidence.... Your right you just can't get the same breath bent down... THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS/AM DOING! so now I'm supper excited to try this next back day! Please keep me updated if you reach a new PR with it as I'd be very interested...

Also do you train deads once a week?
I do but I use fairly high volume..
6 sets 2 for warm up 2 working sets and 2 from 85 to 95% of ORM...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You answered your own question to be honest.... deficit pulls and speed work.

I wouldn't advise someone to grip and rip the bar off the floor. That can throw someone out of position and if you're using a DL bar you will lose a bit as you begin the pull since you didn't pull the slack out of the bar first.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
You answered your own question to be honest.... deficit pulls and speed work.

I wouldn't advise someone to grip and rip the bar off the floor. That can throw someone out of position and if you're using a DL bar you will lose a bit as you begin the pull since you didn't pull the slack out of the bar first.

Thanks for the feedback BI. I was going to try since I am realizing that I cant build the same inter-abdominal pressure when I am spending too much time setting up. Any thoughts?

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
There are a few things that can help..... most come from technique.

Get a big breath and then grab the bar and pull - don't try to breathe while bent over. Hold that air and push in to that pressure. It'll give you a more stable torso and let you drive harder.
This also forces you to get to the bar and pull - not grip and rip, but also don't spend an effing minute down there playing with yourself.

Get your air
Grab the bar with your hips high
Load your hamstrings while pulling the slack out of the bar by sitting BACK, not down, while driving your chest up..... at this point for me, anything under 700 is levitating. Seriously, 600 will come an inch off the floor before I start my leg drive just from loading my hamstrings and wedging myself in.
Once your chest is up you want an aggressive leg drive ( like leg pressing) but as soon as that bar is moving all you need to do is focus on pushing your hips through - like a Dimel Deadlift.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
As for strength builders, missing at the floor is either from your back being too weak to wedge in to position, or your legs not being strong enough to initiate the pull.

Chair deadlifts help, seated SSB good mornings can too. Front squat or leg press to build your leg power ( quad dominant).
Speed pulls against bands and Dimel Deadlifts can help train you to pull fast too.

biguglynewf

biguglynewf

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2010
There are a few things that can help..... most come from technique.

Get a big breath and then grab the bar and pull - don't try to breathe while bent over. Hold that air and push in to that pressure. It'll give you a more stable torso and let you drive harder.
This also forces you to get to the bar and pull - not grip and rip, but also don't spend an effing minute down there playing with yourself.

Get your air
Grab the bar with your hips high
Load your hamstrings while pulling the slack out of the bar by sitting BACK, not down, while driving your chest up..... at this point for me, anything under 700 is levitating. Seriously, 600 will come an inch off the floor before I start my leg drive just from loading my hamstrings and wedging myself in.
Once your chest is up you want an aggressive leg drive ( like leg pressing) but as soon as that bar is moving all you need to do is focus on pushing your hips through - like a Dimel Deadlift.

this is is a great post!

Explained tremendously well....can almost see the lift by the explanation.

nice on you sir!

and thanks btw.

K

kaoticsolja

Nov 2, 2014
Well this post was almost a year ago and still hitting deadlift hard... Just wondering if anyone had any new advice for sticking at the bottom.. I just feel like I can rdl more because of that extra 2 or 3 inches

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Well this post was almost a year ago and still hitting deadlift hard... Just wondering if anyone had any new advice for sticking at the bottom.. I just feel like I can rdl more because of that extra 2 or 3 inches
Any chance you can post a video of your pulls? It sounds like if accessory work hasn't helped, it might be technique? I'm pretty fast off the floor and when I go back through my old training journals, deficit deadlifts was a staple accessory.

As for strength builders, missing at the floor is either from your back being too weak to wedge in to position, or your legs not being strong enough to initiate the pull.

Chair deadlifts help, seated SSB good mornings can too. Front squat or leg press to build your leg power ( quad dominant).
Speed pulls against bands and Dimel Deadlifts can help train you to pull fast too.
Chair deadlifts help off the floor? I thought they were for the lock out because the legs' involvement is minimal? I ask because I was recently looking at these, wondering if I want to try them specifically to help with lock out?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic