Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

Advice for deadlift explosion off the ground

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Well this post was almost a year ago and still hitting deadlift hard... Just wondering if anyone had any new advice for sticking at the bottom.. I just feel like I can rdl more because of that extra 2 or 3 inches
Narrow your stance.

K

kaoticsolja

Nov 2, 2014
Any chance you can post a video of your pulls? It sounds like if accessory work hasn't helped, it might be technique? I'm pretty fast off the floor and when I go back through my old training journals, deficit deadlifts was a staple accessory.

Chair deadlifts help off the floor? I thought they were for the lock out because the legs' involvement is minimal? I ask because I was recently looking at these, wondering if I want to try them specifically to help with lock out?
Ya I could post my most recent pull I'm just finicky about posting videos online

built1st

built1st

Aug 13, 2015
Deficit deadlifts definitely work. Try adding in some chain/resistance band work with the deadlift.

K

kaoticsolja

Nov 2, 2014
I wanna do the chains but my gym only has one and damned if I'm gonna purchase and lug two of them around... And idk about bands I might have to steal some from the crossfit box... You just gave me a great idea..!

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Chair deadlifts help off the floor? I thought they were for the lock out because the legs' involvement is minimal? I ask because I was recently looking at these, wondering if I want to try them specifically to help with lock out?

Absolutely! Dimels will help your lockout, but chair deadlifts force you to wedge in correctly. So many guys try to just squat down to the bar and stand up. That puts the start of the lift like trying to push a car by getting a running start and slamming in to it...... wedge yourself in, pull the slack out of the bar and out of your body, then drive hard like you're coming off of a box squat...... chair deadlifts are just the first two steps to a box.

As for the advice to the OP about bands, chains, and speed work....... that's all great, but if you're missing at the floor it's a positioning and technique issue. The only way a strength issue is causing this is if you lack some fundamental strength to wedge in ( which I doubt).

Case in point - a few years ago I called for a 777 deadlift to break Ernie Lilliebridge Sr's record in the APF of 771...... I got a misload with 854 and still pulled it to the knee even though my contest best was 733.
ALSO - a buddy and I are both around 800 deadlifters. His contest best is just above 8 and mine is just below...... just for fun we both opened at 600 at a charity meet and when I went to wedge in to start the lift I pulled the plates 2" off the ground before I even drove my legs.

Learn to set up right, with your chest up and your knees/ankles vertical or close to it and you'll never miss at the floor.

Andy1990

Andy1990

Sep 2, 2015
Using a lighter weight and adding a few bands and chains and focus on pulling as hard and as fast as you possibly can.

wesleyinman

wesleyinman

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2014
Heavy Box Squats, Front squats, take off your shoes and pull barefoot :)

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Heavy Box Squats, Front squats, take off your shoes and pull barefoot :)
OK, I'll bite. I'm not sure if this is serious or not ... but since I've been pleasantly surprised before about learning new training techniques, I'll ask: "how does pulling barefoot help with explosion?"

wesleyinman

wesleyinman

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2014
OK, I'll bite. I'm not sure if this is serious or not ... but since I've been pleasantly surprised before about learning new training techniques, I'll ask: "how does pulling barefoot help with explosion?"

Shortens distance on the deadlift and allows more stability muscles in the feet to be used. In my PL experiences this made improvements. Granted @ 198lbs my best DL was 715lbs..so I am not the end all and be all..there are stronger DL'ers out there...but...in all fairness the options I gave helped me and might help the OP :)

Last edited:
Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Going barefoot or with deadlift friendly shoes aka DL Slippers, Reebok TR Lite, SABO DL Shoes, Wrestling Shoes etc...These all provide a very thin sole, better Grip and support. Lifting in normal running shoes.. The Sole of the shoe has to crush before you can lift the weight. Acts like a shock and robs you of power. Pulling Conv. Barefoot, Socks or Slippers are fine. If you pull sumo one of the shoes I listed would be a better choice.

In a meet you can't go barefoot.. You have to have shoes. Slippers are cheap $12 or so and everyone sells them.

tinymk

tinymk

Feb 5, 2013
I use medium resistance bands and chains. Like on a squat it keeps u pulling hard through the whole movement, people tend to slow down once they feel they have the lift.
I use a ton of quad off the floor so squat

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic