Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

A calorie is just a calorie

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
A calorie is just a calorie or calories are all that matter.

I was was hoping to get a few opinions on this.

Personally, I have found this not to be true. Seems like it could be a fad but some believe it doesn't matter what kinds of carbs we ingest, the end result will be the same as long as we stay in our specific macro count for our goals.

If I want my BF% to stay on the lower end. I need slower, complex carbs. I know people are different and I feel it might be fine for some but not for all.

I know it's been going around for some time but I thought I might bring it up for a discussion. Even if you believe it to be true, go ahead and post.

After all, it's just a discussion.

HDH

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
It's my opinion, that unless someone has a metabolic disorder, like diabeetus, this is mostly true. Most people just aren't strict enough and/or honest with themselves or others because they either track horribly, or just cheat too much when they are let "off the leash". Everyone that I know that starts an IIFYM diet, tracks EVERYTHING, and doesn't jack off on the diet, manages to cut down pretty low and are surprised by their progress. I find that about 90% or more of people who say that "That doesn't work for me" has either never done it correctly, or shit, hasn't even been ever even been ripped before. That's just me being perfectly honest. I hate when someone who has never been under 16% or never seriously tried an IIFYM diet tells me "Well, that works for you, but not for me..."

IMO, only worrying about Calories and macros can do wonders for body comp. If you want health, then eat healthy. If you want to be lean, track macros/cals and you don't have to be anal about eating clean.

I know most don't visit BBing.com, and with good reason. But there is a thread over there, with all guys and gals cutting, and all of them have adopted the IIFYM diet and all have shredded on it. The only time it didn't work, we caught them not tracking every day and everything they ate.

Last edited:
GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
There is a lot of new "science" and studies that I just don't trust. But the science behind blood sugar is firm. Ask any diabetic. Simple carbs will raise your blood sugar fast and thus cause a spike of insulin. Insulin is the storage hormone. Any pro bodybuilder can attest to that. More simple carbs means more insulin which means more storage. An equal amount of complex carbs can make you fat too, but you have a longer period of time to spend them. Simple carbs speedy digestion rate paired with the insulin spike means those nutrients are going to get stored fast. Unless you are an athlete who is glycogen deprived, you can't use these carbs for energy fast enough and will store as fat.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
There is a lot of new "science" and studies that I just don't trust. But the science behind blood sugar is firm. Ask any diabetic. Simple carbs will raise your blood sugar fast and thus cause a spike of insulin. Insulin is the storage hormone. Any pro bodybuilder can attest to that. More simple carbs means more insulin which means more storage. An equal amount of complex carbs can make you fat too, but you have a longer period of time to spend them. Simple carbs speedy digestion rate paired with the insulin spike means those nutrients are going to get stored fast. Unless you are an athlete who is glycogen deprived, you can't use these carbs for energy fast enough and will store as fat.

Actually, most of the science is just wrong. What the "science" fails to show, is that the diets high in sugar that cause obesity were actually extremely high in calories too. The high sugar was a byproduct of a high calorie and unhealthy diet. Simply consuming sugar, having an insulin spike, and the idea of fat storage, is HIGHLY exaggerated. This is where macro control comes in to play too. If you track macros, and get the carbs you need, fat storage from insulin spikes is all but 0.

All this is based on dated science and sources.

*Edit* just to add, those studies were also done on sedentary people, who really didn't need a lot of carbs either.

Last edited:
macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
For most people....yes a calorie is a calorie. Sure there are some differences (thermic effects...etc) but none significant enough to really warrant consideration.

How do I know this?... Well I have spent over 2 years recently experimenting this exact principle on myself. For over 24 months, I planned every macro and caloric level daily. I would never stray more then 2-3 g off any given target. I found it made no difference if I ate oatmeal and sweet potatoes, or pizza and icecream. NONE. As long as the overall macros were the same.

Here is an older pic from almost 3 years ago when I first returned to the gym after a 10 year layoff. This was done in only 11 weeks 100% natural and ZERO cardio. I ate icecream 3 times a week, pizza one day, pasta another. (hardly the best carbs). I ate a good deal of rice too.

uppercomp-1.jpg

comp.jpg

I'm about 20lbs heavier now then in those pics of my initial cut. I am just as lean or leaner now and I have operated on IIFYM. It just plain works.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
All science aside, fiberous carbs can make you feel fuller for longer. This may enable one to eat less carbs. Not a "calorie for calorie" argument but still pointing out a weight loss benefit of fibeorus carbs.

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
when i had my jaw surgery i was consuming my cals in liquid form. mostly fast carbs sugar like protein drinks. it only came to about 1000cal a day and post op more like 300 to 500 cals just from me having nausea all the time. i lost weight 10lbs in the first week post op. FAT and MUSCLE

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Here's more "non-science" argument for you. A food junkie is a lot more likely to over eat pizza and icecream then say broccoli or oatmeal. Again, not a "calorie for calorie" argument but rather another benefit of fiberous carbs.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
All science aside, fiberous carbs can make you feel fuller for longer. This may enable one to eat less carbs. Not a "calorie for calorie" argument but still pointing out a weight loss benefit of fibeorus carbs.

Here's more "non-science" argument for you. A food junkie is a lot more likely to over eat pizza and icecream then say broccoli or oatmeal. Again, not a "calorie for calorie" argument but rather another benefit of fiberous carbs.

I agree with both of these replies. Although I am an IIFYM advocate, I won't ignore the benefits of having fiber and eating many other things that help with satiety. It's pretty amazing how "easy" you can make a caloric deficit if you eat the right things. IIFYM simply gives more flexibility, but the choice is yours on how you want to manage it.

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
Fat guys at the gym try to tell me this all the time. See any competitors or athletes eating pizza and ice cream? Can't get the same results IMO. Maybe it works for some freakishly gifted people but not everyone

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
See any competitors or athletes eating pizza and ice cream?

Yes. There are a lot doing it these days. I can name off many, but here is one for now. Alberto Nunez, a natty pro who eats pop tarts during his contest prep and puts a lot of his clients on IIFYM.

Alberto-Nunez3-300x160.jpg

Last edited:
Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
Yes. There are a lot doing it these days.

You know any professional athletes? They may eat it but not as a staple in their everyday diet. I can eat it too but I cant survive on sugar and grease

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic