jacobss

91 lb. 9 year old GIRL Squats 205

Status
Not open for further replies.
AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
Paying for that Olympic lifter is actually similar to paying for a disabled veteran. They both sacrificed health for the benefit of our country, granted, on two different scales, but the principle is the same. And what about those who grew up on a farm, doing practical and useful resistance training with hay, and sacks of potatoes, and animals. Some of the strongest and biggest SOBs I know grew up on a farm, doing their own form of resistance training from a very early age.

Here's a few studies I've found in a quick search, more could be uncovered if you dig at all.

Strength Training by Children and Adolescents -- Committee on Sports Medicine and Fitness 107 (6): 1470 -- AAP Policy

Resistance Training Among the Youth | NASM

study on children and resistance training - Google Scholar <----(Link to a goldmine of studies)

NOT in the olympics SAD. olypmic lifts, you know, clean and jerk and snatch.

Diesel

Diesel

Jun 11, 2011
Im sorry but no 9 year old should be squatting. They still have so much growing up to do. The earliest I would let my child start lifting is in high school when they are 15-16 years old.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Is everybody ignoring the plethora of studies I found? I'm not arguing for a 9yr old to be maxing out, but I am stating my opinion that it can be beneficial and safe to have your child start lifting weights at an early age.

ATW - you seem a little upset, so I'll say this as delicately as possible. If you need a disability check because your passion in life has torn your body down, would you take offense to somebody bitching about having to pay into disability because of you? That's why we pay into these things, so that those less fortunate can still survive. Judgement has a way of coming back in the form of irony.

EDIT: just read the post you made about him being an Olympic lifter, and how he traveled all over the world competing. If he's American, then whether it was the Olympics or not, he was still representing the USA, which I'm pretty sure you knew was my point in the first place.

Last edited:
Youngstunna

Youngstunna

Trenja Turtle
Oct 21, 2010
The risk of damaging growth plates at that age is too much risk vs reward

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
Is everybody ignoring the plethora of studies I found? I'm not arguing for a 9yr old to be maxing out, but I am stating my opinion that it can be beneficial and safe to have your child start lifting weights at an early age.

ATW - you seem a little upset, so I'll say this as delicately as possible. If you need a disability check because your passion in life has torn your body down, would you take offense to somebody bitching about having to pay into disability because of you? That's why we pay into these things, so that those less fortunate can still survive. Judgement has a way of coming back in the form of irony.

first SAD, im not upset. i am PMSing some so more like im irritable. now that we have that settled-

i was raised to work my ass off no matter how bad i hurt! my dad was a played college football, coached high school football and wrestling and basketball and track and field for 35+ years. he was also a powerlifter and he hasnt had feeling in his legs for over 20 years. he falls down all the time has had over a dozen surgeries on his back. he has a 8cm plate to fuse his neck. he has crushed vertebra in his lumbar back, where he has had laminectomies and has had the vertebral spines removed from 4 of the vertebra because of the scar tissue build up. he had his left shoulder replaced, just had both his knees replaced 6 months ago. even though he cant feel his legs, proprioception deficiets, the pain nevers still work well, he still goes out and takes care of their property and waters and trims the horses feet. the doctors told him in 1975 that he would be in a wheelchair by 1985 because he wouldnt be able to feel his legs. well you know what, it is almost 40 years later and he hasnt felt his legs in a long time and he is still walking. WHY? because he isnt going to give up and let everybody else take care of him! i was raised to be a fighter! and i dont care if i am crawling on my hands and knees to work, i will be working! i will support myself and my family no matter what the cost to my body! so there! go ahead and collect your disability and know that i will NEVER ask you to take care of mine!

Fish77

Fish77

VIP Member
Dec 24, 2010
If my daughter wants to lift, I will be right beside her smiling. She can already out last me hanging on rings, and she is only two. Tough little girl, and a very proud dad. How many Olympic stars waited till they were 17 to start training? Bet you can count them on your fingers.

I had already broke my first gelding by 9, it is not that young.

Have a good night all.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
If my daughter wants to lift, I will be right beside her smiling. She can already out last me hanging on rings, and she is only two. Tough little girl, and a very proud dad. How many Olympic stars waited till they were 17 to start training? Bet you can count them on your fingers.

I had already broke my first gelding by 9, it is not that young.

Have a good night all.
one cant compare breaking horses at nine to squating 205#. i was riding unbroke horses at the age of 3 and was bucked off my first horse at the age of 2. horses were a part of my life as was milking cows and wrestling calves and bucking hay and everything else to do with animals and living on a farm and i have tons of arthritis to show for it. but i still wont be collecting disability :D farm work is necessary part of life, squating 205# at nine years isnt.

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
they shouldn't even count it with such pisspoor shitty form. Supergirl, you suck, but don't worry because your mom sucks even more and is solely responsible for your super degree of suck.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I've seen a lot of young lifters come through my team's gym.... usually pushed by mom or dad and usually because pee wee football is starting around that age....

1st off.... I thought that her form was solid, not sure what you guys are watching. Her knees are coming in a little but she keeps her head and chest up and sits back good. Never looked out of control which is impressive as hell at that age. Most kids are so loose under the bar that they can't control their descent at all.... she looked in control from the walk out through the rack.

2nd off... I agree with the above poster who mentioned how other sports start young too. I just benched with a 20 year old gymnast who has had 4 shoulder surgeries and still coaches and competes, she wouldn't trade her 16 years in her sport for healthy shoulders if she could. Same goes for 100's of olympic athletes from around the world. If it were my child I would probably rather see them doing reps of something lighter until puberty, but if this is what she wanted I'd support it. How many other girls can go in to puberty ( and all the bullshit of middle school etc...) with the confidence that lifting at that level brings? Here is a girl with enough self esteem not to get knocked up by the first guy who talks nice to her. I'm sure she wouldn't trade her world record for all the healthy knees in the world even if she does mess them up.

3rd off.... did you see the focus on that kids face?!?!?! She's a bad ass. That was awesome!

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
4th..... DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE PARENTS GETTING THEIR KIDS IN TO PEE WEE FOOTBALL AT THIS AGE!
Wanna talk about shit that's hard on the knees? I know a lot of lifters and I still can count more buddies who are messed up from football than from lifting.

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
My middle son will be 9 this week and he wants to do powerlifting SO bad, but I am concerned about it. The guy that owns the gym my old man lifts at even went so far as to say that my son was "a record breaker in the making", because he is just built for it (shorter legs and despite being overweight, he is VERY solid and strong as an ox). I really want him to be more active so he can get a better handle on his weight, so I have encouraged him to learn to lift light db's to do bicep curls and very basic isolation moves (and yes, light weight). The problem is that he is so damn strong and he knows it...he wants to pick up big stuff and impress people (at a strongman show for kids he picked up one of the bars with over 250 lbs on it...I had to scold him to put it down).

Point being...he wants to do it and I am trying my best to keep it in check by distracting him and not keeping anything really heavy around where he can get at it...but I am not sure how long I can distract him from it...he really really has his mind set on it. At least he trusts me and Bob, so for now I am teaching him basic moves he can do with bw and light dbs to "get in shape", but if I ever saw a kid with a natural inclination to strength...it is this one (caught him curling 20lb dbs at moms LOL...have to really watch him close to keep him from picking up really heavy stuff).

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Shan ,Amma would be a great one to Pm and discuss this with,Her son and daughter are both into lifting.She has been very wise about the subject with her children.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic

Status
Not open for further replies.