RalfKelleh

91 lb. 9 year old GIRL Squats 205

Status
Not open for further replies.
shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
thanks RR, I am just so torn on it, I definitely don't want him causing problems down the road (or now for that matter) but I want him to get more fit and do things he loves...so it's a tough issue for me. He isn't the size of a normal 8 year old(soon to be 9)...he looks like he is 11 or 12...I just want to help him..

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
the other thing I forgot to mention...the mother was driving me batty with her vocalizing during the lifts...but if I "were" to let my kid do something like that...I guess I would be hollering encouragement too....

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
it is hard with kids. my monchers are both big for their ages. emma just turned 7 this week and is 89#. she is a bit heavy but she is tall and her brother is almost 6 and he weighs 69# and is almost as tall as his sister. i have used education with them for things like this since they were babies. they have seen me fix animals and treat injuries and i always tell them why the animal was hurt and how it could have been prevented and how it relates to them. i am very lucky that i have this ability to show them such things. plus they both see mom hurting and so they are very good at listening. most people dont want to take the time to educate their children or they think they are too young to learn but they are never too young and they dont learn if you never take the time to teach them. my dad was a teacher and every chore we did on the farm was a life lesson. from watching the cows and sheep bred and have babies to figuring out how many haybales we needed to make it through the week. i have tried very hard to do the same with my monchers. they have seen dogs with mangled legs that were run over by cars, to ones that we have had to make go see Jesus because they were too injured. everything can be a learning experience if we as parents take the time and the effort to make it so. children are an inconvience and the more time one puts in with them when they are young the better chance one has to help them when they are teenagers! time invested when they are young pays great dividens when they are older!

P

powerlifter62

Jul 30, 2011
I've seen a lot of young lifters come through my team's gym.... usually pushed by mom or dad and usually because pee wee football is starting around that age....

1st off.... I thought that her form was solid, not sure what you guys are watching. Her knees are coming in a little but she keeps her head and chest up and sits back good. Never looked out of control which is impressive as hell at that age. Most kids are so loose under the bar that they can't control their descent at all.... she looked in control from the walk out through the rack.

2nd off... I agree with the above poster who mentioned how other sports start young too. I just benched with a 20 year old gymnast who has had 4 shoulder surgeries and still coaches and competes, she wouldn't trade her 16 years in her sport for healthy shoulders if she could. Same goes for 100's of olympic athletes from around the world. If it were my child I would probably rather see them doing reps of something lighter until puberty, but if this is what she wanted I'd support it. How many other girls can go in to puberty ( and all the bullshit of middle school etc...) with the confidence that lifting at that level brings? Here is a girl with enough self esteem not to get knocked up by the first guy who talks nice to her. I'm sure she wouldn't trade her world record for all the healthy knees in the world even if she does mess them up.

3rd off.... did you see the focus on that kids face?!?!?! She's a bad ass. That was awesome!

I think there is one particularly good point in here that you don't even directly say. Squatting for powerlifting is different than squatting for bodybuilding. So a powerlifter can look at a squat and like it, and bodybuilders can look at the same squat a rage about the terrible form. Independent of the age of the lifter.

And there are a lot more good points in here that you do make directly. I agree that her form was pretty good. Her knees may still come in a little, but she improved that a lot by bringing her stance out some.

She really loves lifting. She is naturally very strong. She is naturally athletic generally, but particulray strong. She is very active in karate. And likes most sports; the latest she is getting into is basketball. My wife and I are very careful about her workouts and how she lifts; her safety and health always come first. And that she be in a range of physical activities. She knows, and is reminded contantly, that she can stop lifting whenever she wants., and that we love her whether she lifts or not.

As to her focus and intensity, yes that is definitely something she has done a great job learning and is still learning. Off the platform, she is really a very sweet, even shy, girl.

P

powerlifter62

Jul 30, 2011
Who's addiction? The child or the parent's? Most likely she wants to hear mommy and daddy say they are proud and in order to do that she must win. I highly doubt its about the records at her age.

There are a lot of things she does that make us proud. She doesn't need to lift, and she knows that. We will love her and be proud of her in whatever she does. As to all this "addiction" crap, the answer is, nobody's addiction. We would not allow her to be obsessed by, or addicted to, lifting. My wife does a lot of working out, but is not a lifter. And as to me, I lift because I enjoy lifting. I admire those who do well, but am not the least bit envious of them. And my daughter will lift as long as she wants to, and as long as my wife and I are comfortable that she is being safe. And it will be a very long time before she does any lifting that is not closely supervised by one or both of us.

P

powerlifter62

Jul 30, 2011
My middle son will be 9 this week and he wants to do powerlifting SO bad, but I am concerned about it. The guy that owns the gym my old man lifts at even went so far as to say that my son was "a record breaker in the making", because he is just built for it (shorter legs and despite being overweight, he is VERY solid and strong as an ox). I really want him to be more active so he can get a better handle on his weight, so I have encouraged him to learn to lift light db's to do bicep curls and very basic isolation moves (and yes, light weight). The problem is that he is so damn strong and he knows it...he wants to pick up big stuff and impress people (at a strongman show for kids he picked up one of the bars with over 250 lbs on it...I had to scold him to put it down).

Point being...he wants to do it and I am trying my best to keep it in check by distracting him and not keeping anything really heavy around where he can get at it...but I am not sure how long I can distract him from it...he really really has his mind set on it. At least he trusts me and Bob, so for now I am teaching him basic moves he can do with bw and light dbs to "get in shape", but if I ever saw a kid with a natural inclination to strength...it is this one (caught him curling 20lb dbs at moms LOL...have to really watch him close to keep him from picking up really heavy stuff).

Certainly he should get a handle on his weight if you think that is an issue. I, personally, would be a strong advocate that if he were to get more involved with lifting that it be along with other activities that are more cardio-oriented. I certainly think he could lift and be safe, and get a number of positive things out of it. But it does take a lot of work planning and supervising.

P

powerlifter62

Jul 30, 2011
one cant compare breaking horses at nine to squating 205#. i was riding unbroke horses at the age of 3 and was bucked off my first horse at the age of 2. horses were a part of my life as was milking cows and wrestling calves and bucking hay and everything else to do with animals and living on a farm and i have tons of arthritis to show for it. but i still wont be collecting disability :D farm work is necessary part of life, squating 205# at nine years isnt.

My wife also spent a lot of her formative years on a farm. Farming is necessary, I agree, but 3 year olds breaking horses is not "necessary". It may be an OK thing to do, that I can't judge (I've spent virtually no time on farms). But you have leveled a lot of criticism against my wife and me, and against the concept of kids lifting. My daughter is vastly safer in carefully supervised workouts than she would be trying to break a horse. No bar, whatever weight is on it, has ever turned around and kicked or stomped on the lifter.

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
powerlifter 62..... A kid her age hasnt even began to build the core to withstand that type of weight..Yes she is handeling the weight and with good controll but that dosent mean her core is fully developed yet.At any even time her core could crash.I can understand training without a belt...Helps build the core but when someone gets up to a certain percentage of LBS..Its wise to buckel up...U will not see any of your all star PL lifters breaking records without one on.My only beef and concern here is her center core....I mean shes only 9 ..She can'nt have that many years under her belt enough to have built up a soild core..To do that is takes many of years of climeing the weightpile.Im impressed dont get me wrong...I see much beauty about it...But concerns are a reality as well....To each there their own...Im not judgeing by any means...Just stateing some facts..
Ive been lifting well over 26 years now and i know the possibles...Injuries can last a life time...And a kid to have a bad back at a early age would be fatal to her well being and mental being..This would be my main concern over all....Other then that i see it as all good.Nothin is perfect...U know people have oppions and that all it is here...Just oppions...I think if she holds up and contuines to lift just maybe one day that little girl can be amoung the elite....I wish her all the best.....I know i would be prode of her if she was my kid....dw

P

powerlifter62

Jul 30, 2011
powerlifter 62..... A kid her age hasnt even began to build the core to withstand that type of weight..Yes she is handeling the weight and with good controll but that dosent mean her core is fully developed yet.At any even time her core could crash.I can understand training without a belt...Helps build the core but when someone gets up to a certain percentage of LBS..Its wise to buckel up...U will not see any of your all star PL lifters breaking records without one on.My only beef and concern here is her center core....I mean shes only 9 ..She can'nt have that many years under her belt enough to have built up a soild core..To do that is takes many of years of climeing the weightpile.Im impressed dont get me wrong...I see much beauty about it...But concerns are a reality as well....To each there their own...Im not judgeing by any means...Just stateing some facts..
Ive been lifting well over 26 years now and i know the possibles...Injuries can last a life time...And a kid to have a bad back at a early age would be fatal to her well being and mental being..This would be my main concern over all....Other then that i see it as all good.Nothin is perfect...U know people have oppions and that all it is here...Just oppions...I think if she holds up and contuines to lift just maybe one day that little girl can be amoung the elite....I wish her all the best.....I know i would be prode of her if she was my kid....dw

Actually, I have seen some very big lifts done without belts. I have been lifting for 29 years, incidentally, and generally with a belt. She didn't use a belt on the lifts this day because she really didn't want to, and I didn't think it was unsafe. I stand by that, but we're having her train with a belt again, although it is a thin belt.

Now, what is this tear you are on about "core"? Do you have examples of these injuries you are referring to as core crashes? Working abs is important, as are related areas on the side, but given that I have been lifting for longer than you have, have been to a good 100 competitions, read countless magazines and articles on the subject, and really don't know what you are talking about, can you give more of an explanation?

Last edited:
IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Btw... Welcome to the forum pl62 :)

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
It's a really good forum. We all tend to make judgments over the internet. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle. I hope you stick around.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic

Status
Not open for further replies.