Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

300 lbs Squat or 1025 Leg Press?

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
I believe in Squats, not only because of their ability to build leg mass, but because of the intestinal fortitude it takes to do a full range squat. If a person is willing to squat it shows me they are not afraid to bust their balls! And that intensity is what it takes to get big and strong. I know some noobs who can barely single 250, but they train hard whatever they do...they have the attitude of a 500lb squatter! That noob will get big over time. Conversely the dude that either makes excuses or avoids squats tend to miss leg days and train chest on Monday. Those guys plateau and are littered in gyms across the world.

That is not to say the leg press is of no value...it is! And I know a few people have legitimate issues, however I find it odd that many dudes who can't squat with 315 because of bad knees can load 900 on the sled...dunno?

Bottom line is guys who squat and dead have what it takes to make it in the iron game.

2cc's,
Hawk

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
I believe in Squats, not only because of their ability to build leg mass, but because of the intestinal fortitude it takes to do a full range squat. If a person is willing to squat it shows me they are not afraid to bust their balls! And that intensity is what it takes to get big and strong. I know some noobs who can barely single 250, but they train hard whatever they do...they have the attitude of a 500lb squatter! That noob will get big over time. Conversely the dude that either makes excuses or avoids squats tend to miss leg days and train chest on Monday. Those guys plateau and are littered in gyms across the world.

That is not to say the leg press is of no value...it is! And I know a few people have legitimate issues, however I find it odd that many dudes who can't squat with 315 because of bad knees can load 900 on the sled...dunno?

Bottom line is guys who squat and dead have what it takes to make it in the iron game.

2cc's,
Hawk

Good post. I like how you put that. Very good bro.

Braw16

Braw16

MuscleHead
Aug 8, 2012
I prefer squats I've had 2 spinal surgeries and my neck is fused and I haven't had a problem at all. It's a great overall leg builder. Bigdave mentioned the leg press causing hip injuries for me at least if I go to heavy it does bother my hips.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
I do both but prefer squats way more. I use leg press for volume training and squats for strength and overall size gains.

Now I have injured my lower back a few times and had to use the press for a bit but as soon as I am able I am back on squats. I've started using Zercher Squats more and no pain at all in my back. Granted it is hard to go as heavy with this one verses a back squat but still a nice variation and better than a leg press.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
Where do hack squats fit in here?

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012

2cc's,
Hawk

Well said.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Leg press all the way!

Just kidding squats lol.

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Remember those old leg presses where you pressed straight up onto the air from underneath the weight? You didn't see triple the weights of squats because it was real weight. With the sleds its very misleading. It let's noobs load up and do 3 inch partial reps and let's them think they just did 800 pounds+ leg press. The old style leg press would have crushed them loaded up with 800 pounds.

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
squat! 300 lbs for 10 SHOULD get you farther than a grand leg press, IMO. I have leg pressed 1000+ lbs(as im sure many of my fellow TID members have) and nothing feels better than the squat!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Squatting hands down. Nothing can replace squats. There is no substitute.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic