Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

24 Hour Fitness is spiraling downhill.

norm

norm

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2023
(I tried to figure out which forum to put this, so sorry if it's in the wrong place.)
I'm not sure what is going on, and I feel the need to rant.

The 24 hour I frequent has suddenly been spiraling downhill. After Covid, it had come back pretty well. Then the last year or so I noticed all these changes--less staff, weights consistently scattered about, filthy locker room (well, was never hotel clean), and most importantly, the clientele. It's like they are giving away memberships to people that have, how shall I put it, little means. This translates to no manners and slovenly behavior. I have gotten tired of trying to be tolerant of them. It's a challenge to find a dry floor area and bench in the locker room. What happened to toweling down a bit after the shower or pool. Just no courtesy at all.

I know 24 recently came out of bankruptcy, but that doesn't seem to explain everything.
Anyone else see this? Is it just my local 24? Is it just me?
So where to go? Aren't these corporate gyms all similar? I would eagerly pay a lot more for a quality place but nothing seems to be nearby for my schedule.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
That's pretty gross. I have seen similar happenings elsewhere, most notably at my last apartment complex. After Camden Property Trust purchased the property, they started signing up tenants that really should not have been allowed. Trash, noise, constant smoke, parking garage speeding and catalytic converter thefts.. all became a problem where there were very few before... certainly no cat thefts (wtf?). There is also no way these people were paying what I was paying for rent. They were no doubt being subsidized in some way. I don't care race, orientation, etc., anything as long as you adhere to basic common courtesy and follow rules and customs that should apply to everyone. But there was a definite, undeniable change. It's all this social justice, ESG/DEI/whatever the new one bullshit... creating problems and division where none existed.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
This is pretty much all big box gyms. The clients leave the place a mess. Towels left all over the place, when there are several bins to place dirty towels. Plates left on machines and benches. Dumbbells strewn about. I have three gyms I go to just because I have clients that use them and each one is the same. I have even told the staff I planned on having my clients cancel their memberships and move to another gym if things didn't get better. It fixes it for a couple days then goes right back to the same old shit.

Lurch

Lurch

VIP Member
Jul 22, 2013
I think it's unfortunately just a reflection of society. Seems this is happening with a lot of places. People aren't taking care of things and the upkeep isn't being kept up. The place I go to for the most part has been ok but it's not like it used to be.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
(I tried to figure out which forum to put this, so sorry if it's in the wrong place.)
I'm not sure what is going on, and I feel the need to rant.

The 24 hour I frequent has suddenly been spiraling downhill. After Covid, it had come back pretty well. Then the last year or so I noticed all these changes--less staff, weights consistently scattered about, filthy locker room (well, was never hotel clean), and most importantly, the clientele. It's like they are giving away memberships to people that have, how shall I put it, little means. This translates to no manners and slovenly behavior. I have gotten tired of trying to be tolerant of them. It's a challenge to find a dry floor area and bench in the locker room. What happened to toweling down a bit after the shower or pool. Just no courtesy at all.

I know 24 recently came out of bankruptcy, but that doesn't seem to explain everything.
Anyone else see this? Is it just my local 24? Is it just me?
So where to go? Aren't these corporate gyms all similar? I would eagerly pay a lot more for a quality place but nothing seems to be nearby for my schedule.
My wife and I have been members of 24 Hour Fitness two different times. Never again. We saw the same issues pre-covid, broken machines, trash can on the floor over flowing, half the over head lights out. Seems the membership there also got worse and worse until there were nothing there but homos and nuts. Hell, I never go in gym restrooms'. We went back to LA Fitness. Its not great but better than 24 Hour Fitness is here.

K

KyleB

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2012
Ya this is why I go, train, do my thing and move on. I don't count on water fountains working. Don't count on anything. I have my bag with my waters and even take the empty bottles with me. In and Out.

I took a few years off like around Covid started, was 24 hour member for 10+ years before. Now it's weird. They encourage selfies on intercom?! That threw me off. A lot of the younger kids stay on these new squat racks for hours, not exaggerating. Before it was clunky rusty squat racks....no one touched them. People train in slippers or crocs now, there used to be a serious closed toe shoe rule. There are 2 staff...One at counter and I think one is gym manager...no trainers...at all. I don't get it, but if I focus on that I've lost sight of why I go, for myself.

I go to a tiny 24 also, before covid they werent even open 24...any day of weak. That's my reference point.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
. . . . and the upkeep isn't being kept up . . . .
gonna borrow this now + then with your permission, Lurch. So many places it will fit :D

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
. . . .
Odds of this working are admittedly pretty low, but, hey, it's free to ask. I've seen an actively competing bodybuilder right here who travels to Shows a few times a year who asks for quality gym suggestions anywhere near an upcoming Show. Her intention is for the short term, but you might find a long term solution if you're willing to disclose approximately where you call home. IIRC her success rate for quality places is less than 100% but still pretty good, esp. when it's free to ask.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I’m surprised all the 24hr people haven’t revolted. Back in 2016 I tried two different locations and said F no, I’m not paying that price for trash. I’ve always been at LA fitness, and only a handful of times management would change at the club, some trash comes in, and all the members call corporate and it becomes spotless. Recently I’ve been at Anytime fitness since I travel a lot and the owners take pride in providing a good gym for its members.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
I went to 24-hr for most of my life, then they shut down my favorite one in 2014 out here. They had 2 others out here as well, but they were always way more crowded, so it sucked trying to get things done after work in 'getting off hours.' I went to those 2 gyms, but then they all shut down during Covid. I had my membership there since 1994 when they were still Family Fitness, lol.

Sucks. So many friends I knew for a long time at those gyms. There are 1-3 other chains out here, and 1-3 more hardcore gyms, which I actually never made it out to. Right now, I just train at home since i live about outside of town.

norm

norm

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2023
Odds of this working are admittedly pretty low, but, hey, it's free to ask. I've seen an actively competing bodybuilder right here who travels to Shows a few times a year who asks for quality gym suggestions anywhere near an upcoming Show. Her intention is for the short term, but you might find a long term solution if you're willing to disclose approximately where you call home. IIRC her success rate for quality places is less than 100% but still pretty good, esp. when it's free to ask.
Great idea man.
I'm in Orange County, CA and work near the Civic Center which is downtown Santa Ana.
Would appreciate any suggestions.

Somehow I found this "on the downlow" gym Revival Fitness. It's on 17th street. Only web presence is a low-traffic Facebook page and Instagram. They have no signage off 17th. Looks to be a serious gym. Have to DM the owner to get an appointment apparently. Anyone know about this place?

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Great idea man.
I'm in Orange County, CA and work near the Civic Center which is downtown Santa Ana.
Would appreciate any suggestions.

Somehow I found this "on the downlow" gym Revival Fitness. It's on 17th street. Only web presence is a low-traffic Facebook page and Instagram. They have no signage off 17th. Looks to be a serious gym. Have to DM the owner to get an appointment apparently. Anyone know about this place?
Whoa! (Maybe) you struck gold. Calling a gym "Revival" might suggest a place that tries to be old school ... a gym that could be described as a "boiler room gym," or a "black iron gym," two terms I remember from back in the day ... or maybe it was back in the day before.

Failing that, at least you're in an area that would support a lot of different businesses ... maybe someone here can help.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic