Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

1/4 squats. Why do people do it?

Body_Builder

Body_Builder

MuscleHead
Oct 18, 2010
Maybe some of the older people dont do full reps because their knees cant take the strain anymore, or it is to work the fast twitch muscles in the quad as a burnout maybe. As for the younger more able guys that do it, it is just to show off. Go do some leg extensions and get the hell out of the rack. I agree with everyone else on that point. If only they knew how stupid they looked to the real lifters. The guys that grunt and shit doing 1/4 reps is my source of entertainment in the gym. I just want to go over and smack them in the back of the head and be like "really dude?". Squats arent supposed to be easy, and I have an extreme love/hate relationship with them. It is the only lift that I have ever puked while doing. Im just saying.

I forgot where I saw this at or who said it but they were talking about how doing a full squat is actually easier on the knees than a half squat for example.

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
i may not squat a whole lot due to my knee injury but when i do it's ass to grass if i can handle the wght or a little heavier with box squats.i get up to 3-315 on some good days.(sad my bench is more0,but we've got this guy in one of my gyms-pretty sizeable at that from Turkey or one of those countries.he loads up the smith machine with 4 plates on both sides then only does 1/4 reps.actually more like 1/8th reps.gotta take a pic.
someone commented on how strong he was and he says "i move much wght,no?that is 405lbs on my back."i told him first off that's not 405lbs just cause it's 4 plates per side.it's only only 360 and those aren't what i'd even call reps.he just had to keep going on and on.i just finished legs but said fuck it,i threw on 315,after doing a 20rep set with 225 and almost puking.i yelled out,"this is how you suqat,wide stance,ass out,curve to the spine and drop to your heels or the very least past parallel."did it 2 more times to prove my point.
and to top it off he says,"well i don't want mass."wtf?!?! why even go to the gym and make people think you're moving heavy wght then,for your ego?everytime i see him on any exercise,whether it's my day to train it or not i just gotta do more with better form.by the 2nd set he's usually in the locker room.i hate posers...oh yeah,why don't people squat...cause most can't or are afraid.i know i was in my youth but no more.shit,tonight i gotta squat...you f-ers,lol....!!!!thnx alot

people like that i wouldnt waste my time on...dw

O

oldman

Nov 16, 2010
The only time I do 1/4 squats or 1/2 squats is to get the feel for heavier weights. If I am doing 405x3 then I finish putting 5 or 6 plates per side...doing a set of 1/4's. I do find it gives a great core workout, plus you get the confidence feeling that much weight on your back. The other thing I will do is do 1/4's one week, and then keep dropping lower each week until failure. I found it really helped me up myu full range squat weight.

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
For some it is also a genetic thing or they are limited due to knee issues.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Partials training has its place. But in reality the people at your gym you see doing 1/4 squats are doing half asses squats. Most likely because they dont know how to squat. A lot of uninformed lifters trash their quads and then follow up with some leg curls. So they have weak hams and glutes. The hams and glutes are what let you "sit back" and hold yourself steady at the bottom.

I would have these people start box squatting to correct their squat.

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
I cant stand this.. if it wasnt for my left knee being trashed in the past id go ass to ground. I tried it for a month a while back and it just had my knee in excruciating pain all the time.. but i do go parallel. Maybe a tad bit lower, i use a low bench and sink my ass on it but without taking the stress off legs.. its right around parallel and i can go that low confortably. I definitely get a full ROM workout on them, quads glutes and hams all get an awesome pump. I hate when tiny guys are talking to me out somewhere and are like yeah i squatted 405 the other day.. im thinkin yeah? Id love to be in the gym to see your 405 1/8 squat...

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Partials training has its place. But in reality the people at your gym you see doing 1/4 squats are doing half asses squats. Most likely because they dont know how to squat. A lot of uninformed lifters trash their quads and then follow up with some leg curls. So they have weak hams and glutes. The hams and glutes are what let you "sit back" and hold yourself steady at the bottom.

I would have these people start box squatting to correct their squat.
A lot of people think they are going much deeper than they actually are.

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
A lot of people think they are going much deeper than they actually are.

This is true also.. unless you are seasoned or use a bench/box or have a mirror beside you it can be deceiving. A lot of people bend their back more and more instead of going deeper with legs and they thinl theyre going low

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
This is true also.. unless you are seasoned or use a bench/box or have a mirror beside you it can be deceiving. A lot of people bend their back more and more instead of going deeper with legs and they thinl theyre going low
I think even mirrors can be deceiving based on the angle of your viewpoint. Either tapping a box/bench or using a video recorder is the best way to gauge it IMO.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
Just go down until you can't physically go any lower.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
my knees trashed, i can be laying in bed and roll over the wrong way and my knee will lock up and i cant move and just painfull......but i still squat atg

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic