Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

1/4 squats. Why do people do it?

zackrock

zackrock

Sep 8, 2010
I keep noticing people do 1/4 squats. At first glance one would say they're trying to show off how much weight they can squat. This sounds reasonable, but I've noticed a few things lately.

Today I saw a middle aged gentleman quarter squating. He wasn't showing off or anything because he was in the leg area by himself(I was the only other person there) and he only had on 1plate (135lbs). He did these 1/4 squats that were so shallow he barely even moved.

Does quarter squatting actually have any type of muscular benefits? Does it even work anything? I'm sure this man wasn't trying to show off. Could most people who 1/4 squat actually not know how to squat properly?

This is a serious question, not one to make fun of 1/4 squatters. Just wondering because I see it so much. A lot of the times it's some young kids trying to show off, but sometimes I see older people genuinely trying to get a good workout from it.

AWARE72

AWARE72

MuscleHead
Oct 17, 2010
There are benifets to doing partical range of motions. Working on a sticking point, tagert a certain muscle.

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
I personally do a full range and then a quarter range this I consider 1 rep this is just my opinion I have always done it that way it fatigues the muscle more in my thinking ,Now there might be other reason's people do them but that is mine.I do the same thing on leg press .

O

OldPLer

Nov 29, 2010
I have done quarter squats when I was working on getting used to the heavy weight on my back but there was no work involved, just mentally getting used to the weight.

marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010
My guess- the guy shoulda been squatting an empty bar FULL range... Or with 10's on it, bottom line, most folksare vain and put more on the bar than they can actually work with. I see it constantly.

Trainees might due the limited range thing mindfully- the majority of folks just go through the motions...

biguglynewf

biguglynewf

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2010
My guess- the guy shoulda been squatting an empty bar FULL range... Or with 10's on it, bottom line, most folksare vain and put more on the bar than they can actually work with. I see it constantly.

Trainees might due the limited range thing mindfully- the majority of folks just go through the motions...

I would have to agree with you here sir.

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
In my training experience I have seen partials being used for only a couple legitimate reasons:
-Firstly would be to increase top-end strength on squats, similar in principle to a rack dead or a rack bench. You can lift weight greater than your one rep max in this partial range and in thought(although not my thought) heavier weight means more development.
-I have also seen guys use 1/4 partial squats with light weight to target and squeeze a specific part of the quad. They use the "lockout" portion of the rep coupled with specific stance width and foot placement to specifically target a specific site such as the vastus medialis or lateralus.
-Thirdly you have you douche bags that can't squat shit to begin with who load up 4 plates like it means something big and do a 6 inch deep squat. I can only guess that the ensuing high-fives with their buddies afterwards are to help blood circulation as no one in their right mind would congratulate such a vaginal display.

Personally, I prefer full range of movement. If I need to target a specific muscle, I pre-exhaust that muscle prior to the squat. The only time I alter my ROM on squat is to go deeper for stretching purposes.

MAYO

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
also adjusting your STANCE helps target different muscles too, by placing feet wide or narrow

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
The only reason why people do those kind of squats because they need lessons ....half ass squats dont count...If 1/4 squats counted for anything then everyone would consider squats as a cake walk which isnt the truth...now om not saying that a half ass squat wouldnt hit the muscles but never the less its bullshit.........dw

G

Greenmonster

Sep 28, 2010
Maybe some of the older people dont do full reps because their knees cant take the strain anymore, or it is to work the fast twitch muscles in the quad as a burnout maybe. As for the younger more able guys that do it, it is just to show off. Go do some leg extensions and get the hell out of the rack. I agree with everyone else on that point. If only they knew how stupid they looked to the real lifters. The guys that grunt and shit doing 1/4 reps is my source of entertainment in the gym. I just want to go over and smack them in the back of the head and be like "really dude?". Squats arent supposed to be easy, and I have an extreme love/hate relationship with them. It is the only lift that I have ever puked while doing. Im just saying.

jdjack

jdjack

MuscleHead
Sep 22, 2010
Only reason they do less than full squats is #1 lack of understanding physics, and physiology (which means some 'guru' taught them wrong), and #2 their hubris.

rocco-x

rocco-x

MuscleHead
Sep 16, 2010
i may not squat a whole lot due to my knee injury but when i do it's ass to grass if i can handle the wght or a little heavier with box squats.i get up to 3-315 on some good days.(sad my bench is more0,but we've got this guy in one of my gyms-pretty sizeable at that from Turkey or one of those countries.he loads up the smith machine with 4 plates on both sides then only does 1/4 reps.actually more like 1/8th reps.gotta take a pic.
someone commented on how strong he was and he says "i move much wght,no?that is 405lbs on my back."i told him first off that's not 405lbs just cause it's 4 plates per side.it's only only 360 and those aren't what i'd even call reps.he just had to keep going on and on.i just finished legs but said fuck it,i threw on 315,after doing a 20rep set with 225 and almost puking.i yelled out,"this is how you suqat,wide stance,ass out,curve to the spine and drop to your heels or the very least past parallel."did it 2 more times to prove my point.
and to top it off he says,"well i don't want mass."wtf?!?! why even go to the gym and make people think you're moving heavy wght then,for your ego?everytime i see him on any exercise,whether it's my day to train it or not i just gotta do more with better form.by the 2nd set he's usually in the locker room.i hate posers...oh yeah,why don't people squat...cause most can't or are afraid.i know i was in my youth but no more.shit,tonight i gotta squat...you f-ers,lol....!!!!thnx alot

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic