Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Back surgery mix?

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Met the surgeon on Wed. Said I would be in a brace for 3 months, unless I'm taking a shower. Can do any activity of daily living with the brace on. He said no weight restriction but not to strain. Said the 10 lb restriction was bullshit made up by someone at some point and became fact. After 3 months the brace comes off and I can start back in the gym slowly, only walking until then. At 6 months he said I should be ready for bungee jumping (not a consideration even with a good back for me). Back to work with the brace as soon as I'm off pain meds and can drive. He doesn't do PT or rehab. He said I'll know my limitations. This is the guy that had my buddy back in the gym squatting at 12 weeks with the S1-L3 fusion ALIF. Waiting to be scheduled for surgery. Currently back in the gym and being very careful, nothing that axial loads or twists but able to keep some lean mass intact. Can't walk but recumbent bike is no problem. Pain level the same, epidural didn't last more than 3 days. Hiccups stopped at 24 hrs and was brutal. Wouldn't wish this shit on anyone.
The braces they make for you are amazing and surprisingly comfortable for the amount of time you're in it.

silntrunin

silntrunin

MuscleHead
Aug 30, 2011
So after 14 years of back issues (2 herniated discs + bilateral sciatica).. It got worse year after year. Degenerated discs, Stenosis. And then in July, I can't remember the name, but my L5 vertebrae popped out of place. I was to the point of begging for fentanyl patches from my dr. Picking up my legs to get into the car. Laying down for 18+ hours a day.
... They finally caught up to me.

My neurosurgeon said 3 years ago that a lumbar fusion was the last option, and not to do it until I couldn't stand it anymore. So that's where I was.

So I had the surgery 10/31.. 360 Fusion (where they go in the front and back). Within 2 weeks I had less pain than I did 7 years ago. Oh and no opiates now for the first time in over 5 years!

So I started 3ius of gh about a week before surgery, and plan on running through April. Added Boldenon 300 for red blood cell count on top of my trt.

I'm not cleared for physical therapy yet, let alone the gym or even a treadmill. I'm still not doing anything stupid and haven't even touched a weight since August. So I'm being safe.

Is there anything else that would be effective for faster recovery?

Pt will probably be prescribed soon. Hopefully this week.

So tired of being a potato
Wow! 14 years. I was/am in the same position but I was only in severe pain for 6 years. I couldn't imagine dealing with that type of pain for that long.

Like you I tried everything from facet injections to therapy, nothing helped. I had my first fusion in 2019 and about a year later I was back in pain taking norcos daily again.
Just had S1 and L5 fused to the other fusion this last November. Currently 8 weeks post OP.
This shit is no joke. Swore I would never have another surgery again but I was literally balled up on the floor crying like a bitch on some days. Didn't have much choice the pain was so bad.

Finally starting to feel a little better but still have a long way to go.
Just now starting to do some lite stretching and foam rolling. Second time around was no where near as bad as the first fusion. Grateful for that.

Best of luck in your healing bro.

Dont really have any advice for healing quickly, doing the same with GH hoping for the best.
I will say though to keep an eye on your posture as I tend to feel like I'm being pulled into a hunched position and have to constantly straighten myself up. Dont want to be that old guy walking around looking like the hunch back of ND.
Try and stay as active as you can, I know can be hard but too much laying around is not good. Just makes it harder to get moving again.

lifter6973

lifter6973

Jul 3, 2021
Wow! 14 years. I was/am in the same position but I was only in severe pain for 6 years. I couldn't imagine dealing with that type of pain for that long.

Like you I tried everything from facet injections to therapy, nothing helped. I had my first fusion in 2019 and about a year later I was back in pain taking norcos daily again.
Just had S1 and L5 fused to the other fusion this last November. Currently 8 weeks post OP.
This shit is no joke. Swore I would never have another surgery again but I was literally balled up on the floor crying like a bitch on some days. Didn't have much choice the pain was so bad.

Finally starting to feel a little better but still have a long way to go.
Just now starting to do some lite stretching and foam rolling. Second time around was no where near as bad as the first fusion. Grateful for that.

Best of luck in your healing bro.

Dont really have any advice for healing quickly, doing the same with GH hoping for the best.
I will say though to keep an eye on your posture as I tend to feel like I'm being pulled into a hunched position and have to constantly straighten myself up. Dont want to be that old guy walking around looking like the hunch back of ND.
Try and stay as active as you can, I know can be hard but too much laying around is not good. Just makes it harder to get moving again.
I'm sort of in a similar situation as you guys. I am holding off surgery for as long as humanly possible. Glad you guys are getting some relief.

@Kosher Fried don't rush it bro. Get through your PT completely and see where you are at. The thing with fusion is that it helps with the current disc issue but now you will have more pressure on other areas meaning those discs can slip.
You will probably never be able to do some of the exercises you did before or go as hard as you want to. You can still get good workouts in eventually, you just need to watch it so the other discs don't give you problems.

HGH is the best thing you can use to help with recovery now. Some people use BPC and TB-500 but Im not really sold on those actually working. Good luck bro.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
One week post op. Fused L5/S1 and disc replacement L4/L5. This was a fucking ride for sure. Off narcotics after 1 day, Tylenol and gabapentin at night for spasms. Running ibuprofen for a neuroplaxia left groin from surgical retraction irritation but can only do that for 7-10 days as NSAIDS interfere with fusion. Want to avoid tylenol if possible bc I’m running 15 mg scrip compounded var for 6 weeks for recovery. Still need a walker but transitioning to a walking stick. Pain 1 or 2 while lying, sitting maybe 3 but no longer than 25 min. Hardest part a shower wo the brace, once the spasm start you have to sit but those are slowly resolving. Have a 10” incision from belly button to groin. Brace is uncomfortable but very helpful. I don’t want to fuck this up and it is something you only want to have to go through once. Can’t wipe my own ass, and legs ache like COVIID x 10 at night, up and down steps OK. If not for the groin nerve issue I’d be in much better shape. I should have had this done sooner. Waiting is the worst thing you can do if you are out of options. Have feeling back in both feet, better function and no L5 nerve pain. Will update more when I can sit longer.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
One week post op. Fused L5/S1 and disc replacement L4/L5. This was a fucking ride for sure. Off narcotics after 1 day, Tylenol and gabapentin at night for spasms. Running ibuprofen for a neuroplaxia left groin from surgical retraction irritation but can only do that for 7-10 days as NSAIDS interfere with fusion. Want to avoid tylenol if possible bc I’m running 15 mg scrip compounded var for 6 weeks for recovery. Still need a walker but transitioning to a walking stick. Pain 1 or 2 while lying, sitting maybe 3 but no longer than 25 min. Hardest part a shower wo the brace, once the spasm start you have to sit but those are slowly resolving. Have a 10” incision from belly button to groin. Brace is uncomfortable but very helpful. I don’t want to fuck this up and it is something you only want to have to go through once. Can’t wipe my own ass, and legs ache like COVIID x 10 at night, up and down steps OK. If not for the groin nerve issue I’d be in much better shape. I should have had this done sooner. Waiting is the worst thing you can do if you are out of options. Have feeling back in both feet, better function and no L5 nerve pain. Will update more when I can sit longer.
A very humbling experience. You are completely helpless. This shit would put King Kong on his ass.

Pig Vomit

Pig Vomit

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2022
Stay optimistic.

Had fusion on two levels and multilevel laminectomy about 10 years ago. I only realized how much pain I had been in prior to surgery once I woke up from surgery and the pain was gone. Things aren't perfect, but so much better than prior to surgery. I'm slightly careful about what I do in the gym (no squats or anything that significantly compresses the spine), but for the most part no limitations. You'll be OK. Just follow doc's recommendations and don't be stupid.

As for gear.....I don't think anything really helps until you're at a point with physical therapy where you are 100% confident in your stability and the repair and you are ready to gain size again. Therapeutically, I really don't think it would help. I only did TRT during my recovery.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Stay optimistic.

Had fusion on two levels and multilevel laminectomy about 10 years ago. I only realized how much pain I had been in prior to surgery once I woke up from surgery and the pain was gone. Things aren't perfect, but so much better than prior to surgery. I'm slightly careful about what I do in the gym (no squats or anything that significantly compresses the spine), but for the most part no limitations. You'll be OK. Just follow doc's recommendations and don't be stupid.

As for gear.....I don't think anything really helps until you're at a point with physical therapy where you are 100% confident in your stability and the repair and you are ready to gain size again. Therapeutically, I really don't think it would help. I only did TRT during my recovery.
There is enough lit support on Ox animal/human relative to improved wound healing and bone fractures, increased appetite with partitioning toward lean and overall feeling of well-being and anti-inflammatory actions that prompted me to ask one of my docs for it the first few weeks of recovery. Certainly not using it for performance enhancement, maybe with a walker. 90 d supply will use the other half after I’m back in the gym along with HRT to add some lean back. Should be fine after that on T and a little ND. More active today, but back is telling me that’s it.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
25 days post op. Original nerve pain gone. Legs weak and not coordinated, first couple of walks of about 3/4 mi this week were slow and then several rounds of stairs yesterday quads were sore. Incision healing well, no lower back pain. Able to shower, use the regular toilet, etc. no issues. Biggest problem is the leg ache I get at night and how easily I get fatigued, like COVID x 10 muscle ache that no med touches. Better than last week and finally getting a few hours of sound sleep a night. Maybe one 325 mg tylenol a day in the pm before bed, nothing else. Brace is uncomfortable but only off when I shower. I just keep thinking one more day done and one less day to go to get the brace off. Can dress except for shoes, hips are super tight. The recovery is a bitch, no way around it. Didn't think it would be this slow.

lifter6973

lifter6973

Jul 3, 2021
25 days post op. Original nerve pain gone. Legs weak and not coordinated, first couple of walks of about 3/4 mi this week were slow and then several rounds of stairs yesterday quads were sore. Incision healing well, no lower back pain. Able to shower, use the regular toilet, etc. no issues. Biggest problem is the leg ache I get at night and how easily I get fatigued, like COVID x 10 muscle ache that no med touches. Better than last week and finally getting a few hours of sound sleep a night. Maybe one 325 mg tylenol a day in the pm before bed, nothing else. Brace is uncomfortable but only off when I shower. I just keep thinking one more day done and one less day to go to get the brace off. Can dress except for shoes, hips are super tight. The recovery is a bitch, no way around it. Didn't think it would be this slow.
Damn, hang in there bro. Hope the time passes quickly for you.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
. . . . Can dress except for shoes, hips are super tight. The recovery is a bitch, no way around it. Didn't think it would be this slow.
Totally unrelated surgery 8 yrs ago when I tore up my leg ... BUT, when I was discharged from 2 wks in an inpatient rehab hospital I was prescribed a bunch of gizmos to ease my at home recovery.

One gizmo was designed specifically to help put on/off shoes+socks ... might be worth asking your surgeon to add that to your post-op list?

(my totally free medical advice is accurately priced :) )

lifter6973

lifter6973

Jul 3, 2021
Totally unrelated surgery 8 yrs ago when I tore up my leg ... BUT, when I was discharged from 2 wks in an inpatient rehab hospital I was prescribed a bunch of gizmos to ease my at home recovery.

One gizmo was designed specifically to help put on/off shoes+socks ... might be worth asking your surgeon to add that to your post-op list?

(my totally free medical advice is accurately priced :) )
They gave you Gremlins? Wow! Hope you didn't get them wet. :eek: o_O :oops: :D

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic