Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Philips Respironics CPAP Recall - After 1 Year & 8 Months....Replacement Received

Pig Vomit

Pig Vomit

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2022
I think I posted about this on WCBB....

My original CPAP was a System One provided by my health insurance, recalled for a risk of it giving me little something called CANCER. Submitted my replacement request to Philips the very first day, June 17, 2021, the same day they said to stop using it due to the cancer risk. Finally received the replacement today.

They replaced it with a DreamStation2, which is a serious upgrade from the System One.

I have a 2nd unit I bought myself for a 2nd home, and no matter how many times I submit the request for replacement for that unit, Philips website doesn't seem to take it. Eventually I'll get that 2nd replacement and sell the brand new 2nd unit, as I got my health insurance to replace one of my units with a ResMed AirSense10 way back in July 2021.

I'm posting about this because I seem to recall there were several others with recalled units also waiting. Hopefully if you are still waiting you'll get your replacement soon.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
It is frustrating for sure bro. I do not know anything as I am new to CPAPs. I stopped using mine, I just could not get used to the mask and my mouth would always get so dry it would wake me and I could not go back to sleep.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
It is frustrating for sure bro. I do not know anything as I am new to CPAPs. I stopped using mine, I just could not get used to the mask and my mouth would always get so dry it would wake me and I could not go back to sleep.
You need to keep up with it brother. COSA is a killer. I am fighting the dry mouth and throat even with humidifier..as it results in a massive congestion reaction when I wake up. Part of it is also no distilled water so I am going to buy a distilled water machine. I sleep without the cpap and my heart races 100 times and bp through the roof in the morning and a fog that kills me all day.

Pig Vomit

Pig Vomit

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2022
Getting used to it took awhile. I was a stomach sleeper and had to switch to being a back sleeper. I eventually bought a reclining bed and used the "zero G" position to keep me from rolling over during sleep, because my biggest issue was tolling my head onto my mask and waking up due to leaks and pressure.

When I first got it I thought I'd never get used to it. Eventually you will, but you have to stick with it and be consistent. After you get used to it you won't sleep without it, I guarantee it. Wake up much more rested.

The dry mouth will be reduced with the humidifier. Dry mouth can also be attributed to other medical conditions which may arise due to AAS.

kid666

kid666

VIP Member
Jan 28, 2011
Ive been using a CPAP every night for the past 15 years or so. The Res Med Air Sense 10 for the last 10 years maybe longer. I use the nasal pillows.
It goes everywhere with me. Vacation, out of town, etc. I can't sleep without it. If i happen to fall asleep on the chair without it, ill wake up gasping for air within minutes. Recently the ins company tried to send me a POS replacement during Covid called ResVent. Complete fucking garbage. They blamed Covid and the shortage of machines for sending it. I bitched and complained, and they finally sent a new Res Med Air Sense. Initially took a few months to get used to it, but can't live without it now.

Friggemall

Friggemall

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2020
Ive been using a CPAP every night for the past 15 years or so. The Res Med Air Sense 10 for the last 10 years maybe longer. I use the nasal pillows.
It goes everywhere with me. Vacation, out of town, etc. I can't sleep without it. If i happen to fall asleep on the chair without it, ill wake up gasping for air within minutes. Recently the ins company tried to send me a POS replacement during Covid called ResVent. Complete fucking garbage. They blamed Covid and the shortage of machines for sending it. I bitched and complained, and they finally sent a new Res Med Air Sense. Initially took a few months to get used to it, but can't live without it now.
THis is what I have as well. Had to buy it myself. I was tested and told I do not have it. My now ex wife practically yelled at my doc telling his his test was BS and any moron can just watch me sleep for 10 minutes and I'll stop breathing at least 3 times in those few minutes. mAnd heaven forbid I be on tren and don't use it. I use the nose pillows too. I sleep like crap without it if I forget or fall asleep in the recliner.

Does you nose pillow leak air where the joint connects to the pillows?

kid666

kid666

VIP Member
Jan 28, 2011
THis is what I have as well. Had to buy it myself. I was tested and told I do not have it. My now ex wife practically yelled at my doc telling his his test was BS and any moron can just watch me sleep for 10 minutes and I'll stop breathing at least 3 times in those few minutes. mAnd heaven forbid I be on tren and don't use it. I use the nose pillows too. I sleep like crap without it if I forget or fall asleep in the recliner.

It does sometimes leak air, but i take a small cotton ball and place it directly under the pillows. It will lift it snug to the nostrils to prevent that leakage. It drives me
nuts when it leaks, i can heat the smallest leak and it will keep me up.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013

It does sometimes leak air, but i take a small cotton ball and place it directly under the pillows. It will lift it snug to the nostrils to prevent that leakage. It drives me
nuts when it leaks, i can heat the smallest leak and it will keep me up.

I have the same machine. Also now goes with me everywhere. I can barely nap without it.

I went through a bunch of masks, and nasal stuff trying to find something that worked. Was very frustrating in the beginning. I have a big head but the medium F20 full mask works perfect for me. Barely covers my nose and mouth, and I adjust the humidity in summer and winter. More in the winter and less in the summer.

My blood work numbers improved so much after 6 months of using the machine that I could see how COSA literally kills you. The biggest was my always borderline high crit dropped from averaging 52 to 48. I always assumed it was high from test and gear, and always donated. I still donate, but now I'm usuallty 48-49 instead of 51-52. LDL went down, HDL went up, Glucose went down.

It's amazing what proper rest and not stopping breathing in your sleep will do for you lol.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
You need to keep up with it brother. COSA is a killer. I am fighting the dry mouth and throat even with humidifier..as it results in a massive congestion reaction when I wake up. Part of it is also no distilled water so I am going to buy a distilled water machine. I sleep without the cpap and my heart races 100 times and bp through the roof in the morning and a fog that kills me all day.
Bro, I have an articulating bed. I have found that if I do not drink alcohol (Big cause of SA) and raise the bed up where my upper body is lifted up at at least a 20 degrees and I stay on my back, I do not snore, I do not wake up gasping for breath and I wake up refreshed. I also have a galaxy watch I track sleep with. My heartrate never gets over 60 when I sleep and if I wake up it is because I have to pee.

I think I figured it out for me, thanks for the concern.

rot-iron66

rot-iron66

Oct 30, 2022
I bought my own (like new) Phillips for 400.00. Then they announced the recall. I sent it in and got myself a used Resmed for 300.00 while waiting.
Phillips sent me my replacement a couple months back. Like you mentioned, a major upgrade. (2500.00 dollar unit or so).

I then sold my used Resmed for 300.00 after that. This new Phillips is BIPAP I think. When I exhale, it is much easier and does not have positive pressure against your exhaling.
Pretty happy with this new one, much easier to breathe, etc.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
Bro, I have an articulating bed. I have found that if I do not drink alcohol (Big cause of SA) and raise the bed up where my upper body is lifted up at at least a 20 degrees and I stay on my back, I do not snore, I do not wake up gasping for breath and I wake up refreshed. I also have a galaxy watch I track sleep with. My heartrate never gets over 60 when I sleep and if I wake up it is because I have to pee.

I think I figured it out for me, thanks for the concern.
Sounds good jipped. I think there are a lot of people out there that are overtreated for SA. I saw many in my last group training when I was picking
up my resmed airsense 10. Even with cpap I have taken steps like you and PV mentioned like sleeping on my back instead of rolling over and ripping the mask out. I put a pillow on each side of me which locks me into a flat back and two pillows to keep my head and neck raised a bit.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
Getting used to it took awhile. I was a stomach sleeper and had to switch to being a back sleeper. I eventually bought a reclining bed and used the "zero G" position to keep me from rolling over during sleep, because my biggest issue was tolling my head onto my mask and waking up due to leaks and pressure.

When I first got it I thought I'd never get used to it. Eventually you will, but you have to stick with it and be consistent. After you get used to it you won't sleep without it, I guarantee it. Wake up much more rested.

The dry mouth will be reduced with the humidifier. Dry mouth can also be attributed to other medical conditions which may arise due to AAS.
I have allergies and sinus issues and goshdamn I hate winter with the gas pack heat.
I even use biotene for dry mouth and wake up like concrete.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic