Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Straps or Not?

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I use straps because Im allowed to . Have some pretty sweet traps as well ;)

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Do a snatch grip deadlift 8 rep at 405. That's a great example of when straps are beneficial. You're not trying to build grip. Do farmers walks, kettle bell towel holds, regular deadlifts, with pause at top etc. For that.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Very rarely use them in recent years. I have them in the gym bag if I need them, but most of the time I don't.

I do very heavy rack pulls (and full deads on occasion) over/under about twice a month without straps. I also do most sets of rows, SLDL's, and pullups without them - I may occasionally put them on if needed if the weights are getting really heavy.

Haven't done shrugs in many years - I stopped doing them some 7-8 years ago when I kept getting injured when doing them. Traps have always been a strong bodypart and still are. Back and forearms are among my better bodyparts as well.

Also, at 46 with 28 years of training under my belt, I haven't been focusing so much in recent years on superheavy weights and being obsessively focused on "progressive resistance'. You realize at some point that you're about as strong as you can be and are not made of steel. Being able to walk normally and bend down and twist and turn myself and function normally in bed with my lady friend is more important to me than killing myself to add another 10 pounds to this or that lift.

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks for the tl:dr summary ctj. Rofl.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I use straps occasionally on deadlifts when my grip gets weak or to keep my calluses from ripping.

i also use them on other exercises where my grip strength is limiting (which occurs less frequently as I get stronger) such as on farmer carries or axle deadlifts etc!

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
My traps get tired before my grip does. I got a kung fu grip!!

that said, I will use straps in the event that grip becomes an issue and is holding me back. For instance, one particular pulldown bar I use at my gym is slick and the gnarling has become smooth. I will work up to my heaviest working set without them, but use them on the heaviest sets. I then take them off if sticking to reps of 10 or higher.

I can do shrugs without them easily, but, it's ironic that my traps aren't impressive. Even when I did use straps, my traps were still not impressive. I do armpit rows/monkey rows with 85lbs DBs and shrugs with 95-100s, no straps, and my grip is great, and my traps will burn after the set. Still, nothing. I am at a loss.

I have Popeye forearms though and I am told it's one of the first things people notice about me.

G

gymrat827

VIP Member
Nov 5, 2012
for my max sets, or last set of 2 of deads, shrugs, rows. yes......otherwise i depend on my forearms.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Why is every fukking thread fukked up with this bullshit? Seriously, great way to get new people interested in the board. Im fukking banning the next mother fukker that goes off topic and on to trolling and fukking up threads. KNOCK IT THE FUKK OFF!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic