Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

What makes a person strong

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Take two guys, or girls, same age, size and amount of time training. Put them on the same program, we will use 5x5 for example, same diet, rest times ,supplements (natty) and then at the end of let's say 3 months one will be stronger than the other. Why. What makes the one stronger in terms of squatting 25lbs more or whatever, over the other. Genetics? Why can someone like me, same stats, like stated above, with same muscle mass, squat 500 and I can only get 350? In fact let's say someone even smaller than me can pull 600 DL and I pull 405?

Last edited:
DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
Because you trained for size only for years? One probably has much better technique then the other in whatever movement you are talking about - could be a pull, bench, or even more technical - a C&J or Snatch

A lot of strength is training all the neurons and sciencey stuff in your muscles firing together to do the lift. That is strength. Muscle fiber recruitment. It has to be trained by lifting heavy. And it takes time.

That's some of the simpler points of it anyways.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Shit I could write volumes...

Some appear stronger but are merely faster. This is CNS activity doing that. The second part of the triphasic burst pattern occurs later. Essentially their body hits the brakes later.

For some it's a mental attitide.

Dammit I actually don't have enough time for this right now but Raiden this is a ****ing incredibly awesome question that deserves thought. I will get back to it...

GuerillaKilla

GuerillaKilla

Certified Pillow Biter
Jul 17, 2013
What makes people strong?

Being able to read through any of Big Pauls latest posts without killing themselves.

ZING!

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Shit I could write volumes...

Some appear stronger but are merely faster. This is CNS activity doing that. The second part of the triphasic burst pattern occurs later. Essentially their body hits the brakes later.

For some it's a mental attitide.

Dammit I actually don't have enough time for this right now but Raiden this is a ****ing incredibly awesome question that deserves thought. I will get back to it...

Yes, please share more on this topic, as I know you have knowledge on it. I was just thinking about it and was like "what is it? Is it A B or C?" but I know there's more to it than that. I would think there is not one singular thing, but multitudes and variances?

GuerillaKilla

GuerillaKilla

Certified Pillow Biter
Jul 17, 2013
I'm pretty sure It has to do with photosynthesis and neuro-linguistic programming.

Bro Bundy

Bro Bundy

MuscleHead
Nov 1, 2012
im gonna go with body structure bob..

Haymaker

Haymaker

Oct 21, 2015
I'd say mentality and body sense.

Some people quit when they hit a wall others can power through. Plus I think if you have great body control and are able to get better reps with a better mind-muscle connection you'll see more gains.

Some people always have shit form even after years of lifting and other people are damn perfect everytime with no coaching.

Then there's genetics...

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
I'd say mentality and body sense.

Some people quit when they hit a wall others can power through. Plus I think if you have great body control and are able to get better reps with a better mind-muscle connection you'll see more gains.

Some people always have shit form even after years of lifting and other people are damn perfect everytime with no coaching.

Then there's genetics...

I see what you are saying, but form has nothing to do with strength or how much one can DL versus another. I would even say mentality or the mental has very little to do with how "strong" a person is. PoB knows what I'm attempting to get at, the "thing" or "things" so to speak of. I'm trying to put my finger on "it" but can't quite do it. But please Haymaker, continue to discuss further.

I'm trying to open up a good discussion on this subject and see what we as members, lifters and those in the game can come up with.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I see what you are saying, but form has nothing to do with strength or how much one can DL versus another. I would even say mentality or the mental has very little to do with how "strong" a person is. PoB knows what I'm attempting to get at, the "thing" or "things" so to speak of. I'm trying to put my finger on "it" but can't quite do it. But please Haymaker, continue to discuss further.

I'm trying to open up a good discussion on this subject and see what we as members, lifters and those in the game can come up with.

To say technique has nothing to do with how much one person can deadlift vs another is incorrect. And there is a huge mental aspect to making and attempting max effort lifts.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
To say technique has nothing to do with how much one person can deadlift vs another is incorrect. And there is a huge mental aspect to making and attempting max effort lifts.

How about when a person with sloppy form on bench for example, can push more weight because he is doing things to help move the weight like squirming, contorting his body or something that would get him disqualified in a meet, versus strict good form that limits you to a certain degree of how you can use your body and not move as much weight. So to me, the form issue goes out the window. Form does not equal stregnth.

Mentally, how does mental make a person strong or stronger? Remove the phsycing out part or getting hyped up for a lift. Is it related to "if you can believe it u can achieve it" mind set? Or does the brain send neurons that fire more rapid when forced to exert force?

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011

The techical aspect is minimal in my oppinion, the movements are simple. The mental cannot be emphasized enough. Single most important piece of prep is being mentally prepared to train heavy.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic