Members
Latest Member
arcticranger

bodyweight benchpress, 29 reps

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
appreciate the advice and you're right, I will train without lockout out fully as I always do, but will try this again in a few days, locking out completely...just want to see what I can do and how I can compare to the lads from last years comp!

Good deal. Dont get sucked into 'x times bodyweight' stuff. It is always the little guys game. I am not little and not big, but I have seen enough arguments that it is always the 'little' guys who want to bring it there. Strength in nature does not scale linearly. It is allometric. Think relative strength of an ant and an elephant. The ant is by far stronger. Same can be seen in human populations. It is why calculators like Wilks came into existence. (to try to compare lifters across different bodyweights).

In the end, be your own man and let your lifts stand on their own. Who cares if a 135lb kid can bench more bodyweight reps then you can? Be the 200lb guy with well rounded strength in the big three and let the other people who cant, argue about how many times they can bench their weight. It is cool to pull one out every once in a while to show you can hang....but always know you are playing a little mans game.

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Thanks for saying it mac. I was thinking it. Me going rep for rep against someone 100lbs less than me is bull.

H

hungryh

May 14, 2011
Good deal. Dont get sucked into 'x times bodyweight' stuff. It is always the little guys game. I am not little and not big, but I have seen enough arguments that it is always the 'little' guys who want to bring it there. Strength in nature does not scale linearly. It is allometric. Think relative strength of an ant and an elephant. The ant is by far stronger. Same can be seen in human populations. It is why calculators like Wilks came into existence. (to try to compare lifters across different bodyweights).

In the end, be your own man and let your lifts stand on their own. Who cares if a 135lb kid can bench more bodyweight reps then you can? Be the 200lb guy with well rounded strength in the big three and let the other people who cant, argue about how many times they can bench their weight. It is cool to pull one out every once in a while to show you can hang....but always know you are playing a little mans game.

ah well now I have to disagree with you there. a good powerlifter is somebody who is strong FOR THEIR WEIGHT. Unless you are a super heavy weight, it is about relative strength, not absolute strength.

Having said that I will never compete under 200lbs. My big predicament now is whether or not to stay in my weight class (198lb) or move up to the 220lb class for 2014.thing is it may take years and years to be competitve in that class to gain 10kg of solid muscle! plus it will take a lotttt of time and effort, and more money too.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Thanks for saying it mac. I was thinking it. Me going rep for rep against someone 100lbs less than me is bull.

Yep.....I am soo tired of this one being played out. I am strong enough that I can hang with and many times beat little guys at their own game, but I know full well I am playing against a stacked deck.

It just bugs me to no end when the little guys blatantly disrespect some awesome lifts by bigger guys with comments like "oh yea....he is not even benching 2xbw like me" (says the 140lb guy about the 275lb guys raw 500+bench)

Just freaking annoying. And once one of them starts, all the rest filter in and jump on the bandwagon. After a while you know enough to know what is 'strong' and what is a circus trick.

Easy argument to settle. When your pinned in a car, who do you want running to help you?...the 135lb guy that can bench is weight 43 times or the 300lb dude who can just pick the car up off of you ;)

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Yep.....I am soo tired of this one being played out. I am strong enough that I can hang with and many times beat little guys at their own game, but I know full well I am playing against a stacked deck.

It just bugs me to no end when the little guys blatantly disrespect some awesome lifts by bigger guys with comments like "oh yea....he is not even benching 2xbw like me" (says the 140lb guy about the 275lb guys raw 500+bench)

Just freaking annoying. And once one of them starts, all the rest filter in and jump on the bandwagon. After a while you know enough to know what is 'strong' and what is a circus trick.

Easy argument to settle. When your pinned in a car, who do you want running to help you?...the 135lb guy that can bench is weight 43 times or the 300lb dude who can just pick the car up off of you ;)

You and SAD finally agree on something.

Reactions: SAD
macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
... Unless you are a super heavy weight, it is about relative strength, not absolute strength.

Sorry bud....you are misguided. Look at the all time records in powerlifting by weight class. You see clearly that strength does not scale linearly. I think at the lighest class, the dead record is like 5xbw+. As you go up in weight, the multiplier of what the best of best can do goes down. All the way up to SHW.

Just a simple law of nature man. Of course the 'best lifter' is the one in his relative weight class that can lift the most....but it is NOT a relative strength competition.....hence Wilks. (which does as good a job as you can comparing lifters across classes)

Reactions: MJR
H

hungryh

May 14, 2011
Sorry bud....you are misguided. Look at the all time records in powerlifting by weight class. You see clearly that strength does not scale linearly. I think at the lighest class, the dead record is like 5xbw+. As you go up in weight, the multiplier of what the best of best can do goes down. All the way up to SHW.

Just a simple law of nature man. Of course the 'best lifter' is the one in his relative weight class that can lift the most....but it is NOT a relative strength competition.....hence Wilks. (which does as good a job as you can comparing lifters across classes)

yeah I do agree with that. It's very very hard to write out haha

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
You and SAD finally agree on something.

Ha! Actually I think we agree on a lot more then we disagree. He is cool by me. I think a lot gets lost on forums and the written word. No doubt he takes his training serious. And no, I dont think he thinks all 200lb guys are puny weak fuks. (he is just expressing the frustrations with smaller dudes and all the smack talk that seems to come out of their mouths at times....I get it).

If anyone would be one to argue stupid bodyweight stuff, you might thing I would with a 3+xBW raw dead and 2+ raw Bench....but frankly I could give a crap. I just want to lift respectable weights for my size. (I could care less that is it 2x or 3x....etc)

I can beat many little twerps at their own game and bang out 30 wide grip pullups fairly easy or bench my bodyweight close to 40 times, but I am doing it over 200lbs so I can at least chuckle a little.

Most of the coolest guys in the gym I have ever met are bigger dudes. MUCH less cocky and generally root for everyone to be their best. Powerlifting has been a fun pursuit for those reasons.

Reactions: MJR
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic