Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Help with front squats

Murica

Murica

Aug 2, 2013
Other than some laxity in sacral ligaments post-childbirth should be relatively insignificant towards the biomechanics (more of a psychological crutch).

However, your stance issues lead me to believe there is some hip extensor weakness and getting into a wide stance activates abductors to assist. Something to definitely look into.

A quick fix on technique: during the upward movement think about thrusting your hips forward as you come up.

My $0.02.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
We are built differently. The angle from hip to knee is different than a males

Murica

Murica

Aug 2, 2013
Correct...

and if knees and feet are positioned relative to hips, Q angle does not matter on front squat

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
My point is we are built differently. If you want to take this to pm that's fine otherwise lets not muck up this ladies thread

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
this guy has really good form

Last edited by a moderator:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Jenner, I think you're watching him more than his form, lol......

His form is good but not very good. He could be more upright, his elbow position could be better (look at how close he comes to touching his knees with VERY light weight), etc...

If you want to see very good form watch an elite Olympic weightlifter... Here's a 154lbs weightlifter who's front squatting 440lbs for reps with VERY GOOD form:

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012

Hahahahaha

BI, how do you build up your wrist flexibility to be able to bend your wrist back to hold the bar like in the video you posted ?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Hahahahaha

BI, how do you build up your wrist flexibility to be able to bend your wrist back to hold the bar like in the video you posted ?

The easiest and safest way to do it is to load up a smith machine with some weight (let's say 315lbs). Than set the bar to where it would be set for a front squat. Grasp it with a pronated grip (palm away from you). Than shoot your elbow through (having it go past the bar, in front of the bar) while holding onto the bar with one hand. Hold it in that finished position for 30sec to 1min. Than repeat process with the other hand.

Another way to do it is to load a freeweight bar and force your wrists into place. This is a more painful way to do it but it's quicker and more of a sink or swim style of adapting.

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012

His form is good but not very good. He could be more upright, his elbow position could be better (look at how close he comes to touching his knees with VERY light weight), etc...

If you want to see very good form watch an elite Olympic weightlifter... Here's a 154lbs weightlifter who's front squatting 440lbs for reps with VERY GOOD form:

k, your dude is better...in my guy's defense...since the weight is lighter, looks like he is going a tad deeper putting his elbows closer to his knees..:)

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
The easiest and safest way to do it is to load up a smith machine with some weight (let's say 315lbs). Than set the bar to where it would be set for a front squat. Grasp it with a pronated grip (palm away from you). Than shoot your elbow through (having it go past the bar, in front of the bar) while holding onto the bar with one hand. Hold it in that finished position for 30sec to 1min. Than repeat process with the other hand.

Another way to do it is to load a freeweight bar and force your wrists into place. This is a more painful way to do it but it's quicker and more of a sink or swim style of adapting.

What if you have elbow issues, can you even use this hold?

A

ambaar

Sep 11, 2012
ok so assuming i need to seriousluly build up my inner thighs anyway, and am not AS concerned with quad growth, is it safe to assume a very wide front squat stance should be ok and not cause some kind of wierd injury (if i use good form)?
i know most people do their front squats more narrowly than I can. I am working on it though...
thanks all for your replies again :)

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
What if you have elbow issues, can you even use this hold?

My right elbow has been kinda ****ed up since the car wreck and I'm still able to perform Oly front squat. You just have to be "gingerly" and if it's still giving your problems put straps on the bar and grasp it like that. I posted a vid above demonstrating how to perform an Oly front squat w/ straps. The main thing is to just be careful and if it's painful use the straps.

You can also post a vid of you performing the front squat and we can help you with it.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 14 members watching this topic

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,