Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Help with front squats

A

ambaar

Sep 11, 2012
For some reason I cannot maintin proper upright posture unless I take a very wide stance, almost like sumo front squats. Is this bad? I can't find much information about this move and was looking foe opinions.
The only trainer at my gym who actually lifts is a young man, so he might not understand the mwhanics of a woman's hips after childbirth... so he did not have any answers for me.

If I take a narrower stance, I can't go down all the way because the bar rolls forward. I have no issues taking a narrow stance and going ATG without weight, but my chestdips forward slightly when i go low.

What is wrong with me?
Can I keep doing wide stance front squats?

thanks!

R

rssum23

May 21, 2013
I personally would try bringing the stance in some and practice sitting back on a box. Nothing wrong wit wide stance front squats though. Just would use multiple stances to experiment which one works best for muscle gain

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I'd wager you're using a cross armed style when performing the front squat. That's not the best grip to use. Instead use a oly clean grip and that will make it easier for you to remain upright while performing the lift. Also, put on a pair of shoes with a slight heal to make it easier to hit depth. Just b/c you're a woman doesn't mean you need to use a wide stance.

You will probably have to work on your wrist flexibility at first to be able to perform an oly style front squat.

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
I personally haven't done these, know I probably should but just haven't put the time in to get it right. I feel that it's just an awkward lift and one just has to practice and find what works for them. If a wider stance works, go with that for a while...add some weight, get the form down then try a more narrow stance..you gotta start somewhere :)

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I'd wager you're using a cross armed style when performing the front squat. That's not the best grip to use. Instead use a oly clean grip and that will make it easier for you to remain upright while performing the lift. Also, put on a pair of shoes with a slight heal to make it easier to hit depth. Just b/c you're a woman doesn't mean you need to use a wide stance.

You will probably have to work on your wrist flexibility at first to be able to perform an oly style front squat.

This is true. I stopped crossing my arms and went from 225 for a few reps to as of last December a 405 for a single.

You need mobility in the hips and the thoracic spine. Make sure you are pushing the knees out hard and driving the elbows up and in!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
This is true. I stopped crossing my arms and went from 225 for a few reps to as of last December a 405 for a single.

You need mobility in the hips and the thoracic spine. Make sure you are pushing the knees out hard and driving the elbows up and in!

The heel helps with hip mobility so she can work on it while being able to properly perform the lift.

On a side note many people think they have poor shoulder mobility and cannot perform OH squats and they come to find out it's a hip mobility issue and not a shoulder one.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Use lifting straps if you cant get your wrist around properly . Keeping your elbows up will force you to stay upright rather than roll forward. Drop the weight you are using down enough that you are able to do the lift properly.

And finally ......How wide is wide stance to you?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Use lifting straps if you cant get your wrist around properly . Keeping your elbows up will force you to stay upright rather than roll forward. Drop the weight you are using down enough that you are able to do the lift properly.

And finally ......How wide is wide stance to you?

If you need a visual for using the straps....

Last edited by a moderator:
sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
^^ That's been my biggest challenge as well - definitely don't have the necessary wrist mobility just yet.

Altho its not idea, you might find the Smith Machine a place to start doing them. And in the mean time keep working on wrist mobility. I found a bunch of good suggestions with this google search.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You might as well ditch the movement if you're going to do it on a smith machine.

A

ambaar

Sep 11, 2012
wow thanks for all the replies!
and the lifting straps idea!!
i am pretty new to lifting,so my weights are pretty light.
to answee the question about stance, i am pretty wide. not quite sumo stance but a little more than shoukder width for sure.
Yes i am using the cross armed grip so far because my wrist/foream/something isnt flexible enough to be in that position :( lifting straps should help though. I will try that next time .
how do i work on making my arms bend that way, though, so i wont need straps forever?
thanks!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic