Members
Latest Member
jacobss

Knee Wraps when squatting

M

MatthewC

MuscleHead
Dec 7, 2011
So I got some knee wraps because my knee hurt when I squat. Tonight was the first time I used them and wow, I could do many more reps completely pain free and had a great work out. I didn't realize they would give me that much spring.

My question is should I train with them all the time, or should I still continue to build the deep squat without the wrap and work on heavier weights with wraps. I just got a belt and plan to train heavier weights with the belt on.

I'm starting to see why guys do bench shirts; it's kinda exciting moving stuff easier.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I'm assuming you mean knee wraps and not straps.

I personally think wraps should be worn when you're squatting >85% of 1RM.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
and another gear whore is born, lol. Knee wraps give you some pretty big carryover especially when doing reps. After your knee feels better I'd keep doing a few raw squats before wrapping them.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I've never gotten more than 20-25 pounds out of any wraps, no matter how tight or what pattern they were wrapped in, so I wouldn't say that it's anywhere near the same ballpark as actual gear (not saying anybody said that, just saying). That being said, from a safety standpoint, I always wrap over 85% just like BI said.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
SAD wears them when doing his crossfit:D

M

MatthewC

MuscleHead
Dec 7, 2011
I really don't know what my 1 rep max is, I think it's around 350. So, anything over 300 lbs start wrapping until my weight goes up sound right? Roughly start using them when doing 4 or less reps is what I'm estimating. My legs are sore as hell today, which is great, but my knee feel good.

Is there any downfall for using them all the time? Weaker workouts? Etc?

O

OldPLer

Nov 29, 2010
That sounds perfect, start wraping over 300, there really isnt a big downfall to using them all the time unless you are doing higher reps and then they are cutting off some of the blood supply so you want to be careful on long you keep them on

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I really don't know what my 1 rep max is, I think it's around 350. So, anything over 300 lbs start wrapping until my weight goes up sound right? Roughly start using them when doing 4 or less reps is what I'm estimating. My legs are sore as hell today, which is great, but my knee feel good.

Is there any downfall for using them all the time? Weaker workouts? Etc?

I believe there's a downside to wearing them all the time. I'd wager you'd weaken your knee region if you wore them all the time. They would do the job your ligaments/tendons are supposed to be doing.

I'd recommend you buy a pair of sleeves and you could wear them all the time. It will provide a bit of support and help warm up the region esp if you wear a pair of neoprene sleeves.

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
not to go off subject but I was wondering what the real truth about weight belts is? I keep hearing that they don't do shit but put money in the pockets of the people that sell them?

As for wraps, I don't use knee ones but have started using wrist ones and find that they only help a little

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
not to go off subject but I was wondering what the real truth about weight belts is? I keep hearing that they don't do shit but put money in the pockets of the people that sell them?

As for wraps, I don't use knee ones but have started using wrist ones and find that they only help a little

They absolutely serve a purpose by intensifying your core strength.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic