Members
Latest Member
jacobss

How do you continue to get stronger?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
What do you guys do to continually improve your strength? Are there any tips or methods that have worked well for you? I'm interested to hear how some of you approach the task of consistently getting stronger, especially those of us that compete in the same weight class.

I'm sure that as we get older, more experienced and our strength is already pretty good there has to be something 'extra' that is needed in order for us to get more out of our lifts
confused.png

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Couple of things I'll throw in...

** Don't neglect training for reps. Think back to when you started out, how did you continually get stronger? Reps. You won't get stronger training off just single reps ~ you'll just get more efficient and confident under heavy weight. You wanna squat 405? Work up to handling 315 for reps. As powerlifters we spend enough time focusing on singles/doubles/triples, spending time in a higher rep range is only going to benefit them in the long term.

** Geared lifters should train raw after a meet.
Let the body get used to handling the weight again without any equipment, take the weight down and bring your raw lifts up. Let the body get used to doing all the work for at least a month after a week before you go back to the suit, when you do put it back on you'll feel the strength difference. I know some elite PL'ing coaches advocate putting the suit back on at week 5 and then again at week 8 where you can start using it as you normally would ~ makes sense to me.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Personally, I think speed work is essential to continually get stronger at your present bodyweight. Rep work is something that is often overlooked. Another point that is often overlooked is preventative work and recovery work that should be a constant in your training.

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
I've always varied my routines about every 4-6 weeks once i started getting keyed in on how my body was responding to different things, so I wouldn't get stale on one set workout. Also always done 5-8 reps but won't hesitate to crank out a few extra reps if I can do them with good form...or decent form haha. But since making these changed I've been getting stronger at consistent rate. Sometimes slower then usual but its usually still going up. Have a PR. Bench of 465lbs. So its has to be working some for me.

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
Honestly I got stronger when upped the gear usage

Braw16

Braw16

MuscleHead
Aug 8, 2012
I do try to change up and also use tempo training pause sets and negatives. Lately it seems it has really help me improve my strength gains.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Honestly I got stronger when upped the gear usage

I think MF was talking about training methods to increase strength and not so much increased AAS usage. Using more and more gear is def one way but what happens when you drop or decrease the gear? I'll tell ya... you're strength will dwindle.

You can get stronger without cycling.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Guys think too much about this..... how do you keep getting stronger? Keep working harder*

Now, this is all assuming that everything else is in place. Your average gym rat, running a garbage program, lifting by himself will only get so far regardless of how hard they work.
Every meet I go to I meet people who work their asses off but lift like shit because they don't have any clue what they are doing. If you want to do well in this sport you need to invest some time in the driver's seat - go make the drive to find teams that are better than you and train with them.

It took my 8 years training on my own (with just a buddy or two to spot) to get a 500lb squat.
At that point I started training with one of the top teams in the country.
5 years later I hit a grand in a meet and 1100 in the gym.

A good coach will spot technique problems that you can't see, a good team will spot weaknesses you didn't notice, and the whole group keeps you motivated and competitive.

This is especially true if you are the strongest guy in your gym. If you squat 500 like shit, but your training partners all squat 300 then of course they are all going to be telling you how great your squat was. You get no constructive criticism, no fire under your ass to improve, and no help from people who know more than you.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
That's one thing I'm looking for, a team to train with. I may have found what I need though. The owner's son of the gym I'm training at has hit some big numbers (bigger than min) and used to compete in the APF. I do believe I'll start training when he's there so I can have him help me.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Guys think too much about this..... how do you keep getting stronger? Keep working harder*

Now, this is all assuming that everything else is in place. Your average gym rat, running a garbage program, lifting by himself will only get so far regardless of how hard they work.
Every meet I go to I meet people who work their asses off but lift like shit because they don't have any clue what they are doing. If you want to do well in this sport you need to invest some time in the driver's seat - go make the drive to find teams that are better than you and train with them.

It took my 8 years training on my own (with just a buddy or two to spot) to get a 500lb squat.
At that point I started training with one of the top teams in the country.
5 years later I hit a grand in a meet and 1100 in the gym.

A good coach will spot technique problems that you can't see, a good team will spot weaknesses you didn't notice, and the whole group keeps you motivated and competitive.

This is especially true if you are the strongest guy in your gym. If you squat 500 like shit, but your training partners all squat 300 then of course they are all going to be telling you how great your squat was. You get no constructive criticism, no fire under your ass to improve, and no help from people who know more than you.

that bold part is the truth... I was the biggest guy in my gym. When I'd squat 550 guys would stop what they were doing and watch. I've just switched gyms to a much more serious place with westside certified guys and shit... They picked apart my squat and put 50lbs on it in about an hour...

Yaya

Yaya

VIP Member
Jun 25, 2012
Depends how much you push yourself, routine and timing has a lot to do with it

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
That's one thing I'm looking for, a team to train with. I may have found what I need though. The owner's son of the gym I'm training at has hit some big numbers (bigger than min) and used to compete in the APF. I do believe I'll start training when he's there so I can have him help me.

Me too man. I train on my own. I only get a spot when I bench from an employee at the gym. Otherwise I'm on my own. It would be really nice to work in a group. And being constantly critiqued is really nice.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic