Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

How do you continue to get stronger?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
When I am lucky enough to get down to our local PL'ing gym and train with some of the guys there it's completely different. I often hit PB's or get pretty close to it. I'd love to be able to do that all the time, but then I have to weigh up how much extra time the session (and travelling takes) as well as how much more of a beating my CNS would get. Don't know if as a natty raw lifter that's something I'd need to bear in mind :confused:

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Yea I deffintly feel more comfortable when I'm at a powerlifting type gym. I like the atmosphere. The closest one to me is about 90 miles.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Me too man. I train on my own. I only get a spot when I bench from an employee at the gym. Otherwise I'm on my own. It would be really nice to work in a group. And being constantly critiqued is really nice.

I don't train on my own. I train with SS (my wife) but we need a team to train properly, at least on squat day. Need at least side spotters and another to work the mono. One thing you can do for critiques is to record yourself lifting and than show it to someone.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
When I am lucky enough to get down to our local PL'ing gym and train with some of the guys there it's completely different. I often hit PB's or get pretty close to it. I'd love to be able to do that all the time, but then I have to weigh up how much extra time the session (and travelling takes) as well as how much more of a beating my CNS would get. Don't know if as a natty raw lifter that's something I'd need to bear in mind :confused:

I'd say just adjust your percentages to keep your CNS fresh. Also I'd schedule a deload week in your training periodically to keep from CNS fatigue and keep injuries down.

I hear ya on the traveling time. I can train for free at a gym that's pretty close but the gym I prefer to train at is more than 2x the distance each way. Spending an hour each way on the road def takes a toll but it's worth it. That's what I'm finding.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks. Yea I've been wanting to get some videos. Ill see if I can get some and post them in my training log.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I hear you guys on the travel times. There are probably 10 gyms within 15 minutes of my house. 4 are really nice with pools etc... I don't go to any of them because I won't get any better there.

I drive an hour each way, three times a week to lift with the best team in the area. Once or twice a month I drive 2 and a half hours EACH WAY to go train with a guy who is the top dog at what he does right now.

That dedication is what got me from gym hero nobody to top 50 all time for squat and total.... pretty close for bench too. I'm nothing special, definitely NOT a genetic freak, but I put in the work. If I can do it then anyone can.

At some point you have to decide what is more important to you, your sport or your TV time at home on the couch.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Just saw this posted on Facebook and thought it was great...

Best things I ever did for my squat:
-Always free squat
-Walk them out
-Stop using wraps
-Stop using belt
-Start doing reps
-Pause in the hole

Best things I ever did for my bench:
-Narrowed my grip
-Train with all the commands
-Start doing overheads
-Start doing reps
-Self handouts until near max

Best things I ever did for my deadlift:
-Start pulling from a deficit
-Start doing reps
-Pull with a wider grip
-Stop using bands
-Deadlift each week but rotate the intensity

Brandon Lilly.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
To get stronger you need to like cycle your workouts with varying intensity and increments of increases volume or workload then have an active period if recovery with lower workload then cycle again - periodizaton. Has been used for years . Decades ago weightlifters in Romania and Bulgaria kicked our asses in Olympics and much research has been done since then / get familiar with the concept and apply

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic