Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Why are calves such a "genetic" muscle?

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
One has to wonder how many genetically gifted bodybuilders are out there but the just never found bodybuildng interesting. Think about how many talented people there must be but they never found their niche.

I think about this ALL THE TIME. I see guys who are naturally stout and big-boned and just KNOW they'd be monsters if they gave a shit.

I have 6.5" wrists and was never meant to be big. I was 5'10" 155# in my mid-late 20s. So yeah I have always noticed stouter dudes.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I had trouble with them until I started treating them like everything else, I started killing them.

Just like anything else, lots of mixing and doing different things. Foot placement, high reps, low reps, iso holds, negatives, stretching between each set, etc...

I started getting the most out of them with long iso holds and slow negatives while stretching but mixing was a must.

This is just my experience and I do agree that genetics play a big part but we sometimes have to ask ourselves, have we really turned every stone?

H

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Calves are largely genetic. Then couple it with the fact that they endure multiple reps on a daily basis from walking running climbing etc on a day to day basis, \he training of them needs to be heavy. I trained the he'll out of my calves in my 20's. Always he a year with some old school power lifters. Haven't trained them in years and they are still good. Short story long, heavy is better imo. When it comes to calves.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I think 90% of bodybuilding is half genetics. The other half is hard work. 50% is nutrition and rest. And the remaining 90% is drugs.

Well bro, I hate to disagree with such a good friend, but I think 75% of bodybuilding is one half genetics and hard work, and the other half of the 75% is nutrition and rest. The remaining 25% is all about having great sex!

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Just ask Dennis Wolf........

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
Well bro, I hate to disagree with such a good friend, but I think 75% of bodybuilding is one half genetics and hard work, and the other half of the 75% is nutrition and rest. The remaining 25% is all about having great sex!

I love it when you talk science and sex with me in the same conversation......c'mere tiger! lol

Akhusker

Akhusker

Dec 25, 2014
Wouldn't it have to be based on bone (structure) size and heights, toss in the way a person walks and you have small or huge calves. Idk just my theory

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
In 27 years, I've piled large amounts of muscle onto everything else, especially quads, hams, hips / glutes, back, chest, shoulders, and arms (pretty much in that order), going from 135 lbs to 230 or so of mostly muscle.

My calves are far bigger, harder, and more peaked and developed than they were 27 years ago when I started, but they're still high and short and "small" relative to the rest - especially compared to my huge legs. They were pretty much nonexistent when I started, and have always been stubborn.

I use a full ROM, moderate weights, and a deliberate motion. Donkey calf raises are a favorite.

Here's a typical routine, done before hamstrings:
Standing calf raise (pyramid): 1 set x 15 reps; 1 set x 12 reps; 3-4 sets x 10.
Seated " " : 3-4 x 10-15
Donkey " " : 3 x 10-12

EastMade

EastMade

Feb 11, 2015
IMO, it isn't the routine that matters, for growth it's all about training the muscle hard and achieving a solid pump, feeding the muscle and rest (obvious).

Of course the person with the superior genetics, whatever muscle that may be will always have the better development, even putting less work in - fact. Case and point, I've talked to multiple older gentlemen at my gym about their calves when I noticed the crazy development, size and visible fibers twitching as they walked..... They informed me that they didn't even work calves at all. That just goes to show - genetics play a huge role.

DrB

DrB

Feb 7, 2015
I read somewhere that Reg Park used to do calf raises with 1000lbs

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic