Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Why are calves such a "genetic" muscle?

FranchizeBBer

FranchizeBBer

Sep 10, 2010
Why do people always point to genetics as the reason for poor calf development? I know this to be true but does anyone know why genetics are so heavily involved in calf growth and not so much in say deltoids, triceps... aside from their shape. Opinions? What are some ways to overcome genetics as far as calf growth?

PS. Synthol isn't a viable option.

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
I have a theory about calves, but please tell me (anyone) if you think it's bullshit.

Basically, they're really hard to work to failure because of the mechanics of calf machines. You need to be able to get the rack up over the stop, so you always stop a few reps shy of failure. Or at least I do.

The one time I did calf raises to ACTUAL failure my legs got trapped under the weight. I literally could not get it up and had to call a stranger over to lift it up so I could pull the stop over.

I think if you workout with a partner who can lift the weight off you, and do raises to failure (like we all do with every other body part), then they'll grow.

wesleyinman

wesleyinman

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2014
I think besides Genetics which is key, is because they are so commonly utilized (walking), etc..they are constantly adapting to very rigorous use and are harder to grow..likewise any muscle that is over used, it often smaller, etc..so you have to figure out a stimulus for them that will make them grow based on your genetic predisposition.

One trick I actually learned on the forums years back is this:

I actually found a that stretching them, or calf stretches work. Essentially you can lie in bed even and point your toes forward as far as you can and as hard as you can, keeping constant tension on the muscle (this requires the mind muscle connection) then slowly PAUSE for 3-5 seconds, and then, bring your toes back towards yourself, or the direction of your face you could say, and PAUSE there for 3-5 seconds. Do these for sets of 100 on top of your regular routine, 3-5 times per week and I promise you will see new growth ;)

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
The insertion points of the muscles of the calves varies greatly changing the length and height of the muscle. Also body mechanics plays a huge role in their development. A longer foot, for instance, creates a longer lever and the calves must be stronger to overcome the mechanical aspect. Similar things happen for other muscles like the delts but unless you walk on your hands, you're not going to see the effect of bearing a load all day every day.

If you're not hitting failure on calves because you're afraid to get stuck, it just means it's time to get off the seated calve raise machine and use the standing or the leg press.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I don't think it's all genetics.

I bet if every dude that cried about having small calves due to genetics spent as much time on them as he did his biceps and chest they'd grow.

I had small calves when I was in my early 20's. I started training them 3 days a week. They grew.

Now they are one of my best developed body parts and I just maintain them now.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Most people who have good genetics in a certain body part tend to say that don't have good genetics. They like to think that it's all their hard work. But the reality is that many people put in the hard work and don't get the results, especially on a part like calves.

Reactions: HGH
Rampage

Rampage

MuscleHead
Oct 26, 2011
Like many things in life, I think its 50% genetics 50% environment (the work you put in).

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
I think 90% of bodybuilding is half genetics. The other half is hard work. 50% is nutrition and rest. And the remaining 90% is drugs.

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
Most people who have good genetics in a certain body part tend to say that don't have good genetics. They like to think that it's all their hard work. But the reality is that many people put in the hard work and don't get the results, especially on a part like calves.

I agree.

I saw a bodybuilder on FB complaining that people complimented his genetics instead of hard work. Meanwhile, he still has like 18" arms on a 270# frame. I wanted to post "put some of that 'hard work' into your t-rex arms" but i didn't. ;)

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
I work my calves before every workout except legs. Calves work is sort of my warm-up to everything. Yes, they are growing but I swear there is a 65 year old man at my gym that does nothing but the elliptical and his calves destroy mine.

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
I work my calves before every workout except legs. Calves work is sort of my warm-up to everything. Yes, they are growing but I swear there is a 65 year old man at my gym that does nothing but the elliptical and his calves destroy mine.

I was in line at a food truck behind a man with the most enormous calves I have ever seen. Just unbelievable. I asked him about it because he was otherwise kind of schlubby and he said he'd never worked out a day in his life, was never athletic. But he complained about them not fitting in jeans.

FML

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
One has to wonder how many genetically gifted bodybuilders are out there but the just never found bodybuildng interesting. Think about how many talented people there must be but they never found their niche.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic