Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

When to start your first cycle?

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
This is mainly a thread to get your guy's and girl's opinions on when the proper time to using AAS. i know this would vary from person to person but as a general guideline when would you recommend any noob to start:

Once diet and training have been hammered out over years of experience and you have just reached your natural limit?

or once diet and training have been hammered out over years of experience but BEFORE you reach that natural limit?

some other criteria?

please explain as to why you think this. i am 100% sure i am nowhere near my natural potential but i m curious as to what you guys think. and this is a question for both lifters that have used steroids and ones that are still natty for whaever reason.

please do not turn this into a flaming/pissing match about natty vs. AAS use. thanks :)

Hanniballickedher

Hanniballickedher

MuscleHead
Dec 12, 2010
25 years or older when test starts slowing in production - 100% My opinion!! I didn't start till 42 and now wish i would have a long time ago.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
To start with, I don't think anyone ever truly reaches their natural limit. But surely the gains begin to slow down drastically. A person should have at least 2-3 years of serious consistent training and diet under their belt. Additionally, age has a lot to do with it. Guys in their teens and early 20s need to wait IMO. Plus, why not get your test checked and find out where you stand so there's no guessing. I know a guy who is 54, natural and over 1000. He's the exception. 4G, it really comes down to risk/reward and a determination on how each of the risks and rewards fit your goals. Just my .02.

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
25 years or older when test starts slowing in production - 100% My opinion!! I didn't start till 42 and now wish i would have a long time ago.

^^ I lean towards this. The only time I see a "reason" to juice earlier is if you're looking to compete and need size/strength.

BlueDevil

BlueDevil

MuscleHead
Jul 9, 2011
II pretty much nailed it. The "natural limit" thing is just a bad way of saying that you should be 25+ and have trained consistently for several years, plus understand nutrition and how to eat for your goals. Very few people actually reach their natural potential before using AAS.

Thinkbig

Thinkbig

MuscleHead
Jun 29, 2011
I I have been training since I was around 15 years old.

I joined a World Gym shortly after when I turned 16 and was experimenting with AAS by 17 and 9 months. I was around 240 at 6'2 at the time.

I worked out, went to school, and worked at GNC.

I didn't party, smoke or drink anything, I never did shot but eat every two hours and pound OTC supps like it was going out of style.

I don't regret anything, I immersed myself in the science at an early age, I had all the books and lived for the information as much as the workouts. I was a student of Bodybuilding ad much as I was an enthusiast.

So for me, I could have waited, but there is no real basis to look back and say "See, if you waited until ____, this would he different".

I've sired two kids, my stuff still works great, I held onto over 300lbs for a decade, and looked good doing it, of course I'm tall, and I was certainly never in contest shape at that sort of weight, but around 10-12% most times.

A lot has changed from back then, granted. Although my point is that, you cannot put an age, or a weight, or a specific criteria for it, and bottleneck everyone into that notion.

I think when your educated enough on the proper use, and the repercussions and such, and have a good base behind you, then your ready, at what age, or specific bodyweight that may come at, is not static.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I liked the way Dave Tate answers this question... Of course in his context its about competitive athletes. Check out the vid below. But for the non-competitive athlete? Around mid twenties, when natural test starts drop because why the hell not!

Last edited by a moderator:
GreatGunz

GreatGunz

VIP
Jun 10, 2011
My reason would be what do u need to do,Are you trying to meet a goal......Are you in neeed of size for a job,It all comes down too have you researched ,Read ,studied and researched some more?
Did anything you learned cause any doubt or second guess any of your decesions?
If so may'be your not ready for that jump,But if you are and you are cofortable that you have solid training and knowledge of this area than it is your decision to make as long as you are ready to commit 100% and not half ass it you go ahead your choice

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
My opinion:

1. At least 25-26 years old.
2. Been training hard and consistently for at least 5-7 years.
3. Has diet nailed and has for years.
4. Gains have slowed to a crawl or worse you are starting to go backwards.

I started at around 31, after 16 years of training and about 3 years of being stuck no matter what diet and training changes I made. If I could do it over I would have started at about 28-29.

Last edited:
400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
some great(and diverse) answers in here!!! yeah II, i highly doubted this would turn into a flaming match but just wanted to clear up that it wasnt my intent to start one.

the one thing i see ALL of you agreeing on(which is no surprise with you guys) is a solid base of training, diet, and knowledge before making the decision to use/not use steroids. i see everyone here started at different times as well and i see some of you wished you had started a little earlier.

good shit guys. i appreciate the honest answers.

@TB, holy shit that is heavy for that type of BF%!! good job keeping that weight with that low fat.
@POB, will be watching the vid momentarily(interwebz is slow to load right now)

grayclaws

grayclaws

Aug 23, 2011
I think it's different for everyone. Deffinitly no sooner than 25 when your natural "t" levels are sufficent. After that, I would say it depends on if you can truelly dedicate yourself to the time in the gym required and you've exasperated all other measures naturally and feel progression has stopped. Personally started after I turned 30, after recovering from a torn pec from a bench pressing competition. With it's introduction and age, training has also changed. No more 1RM's for this guy.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic