Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

When is it time to put a dog down?

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
My old boy has been a faithful and loyal companion for many years. He is about 14 years old which is ancient for a medium size dog but he is in no discernable pain, Has a little trouble getting around from time to time but otherwise is doing well all things considered. Still loves us and we love him. Enjoys a good ear scratch and lying in the sun while I smoke a cigar.

On the bad side, when he has to go, I have about 1-2 minutes to get him out or he will just start going and cannot control it.
He has a bad cough even on cortico-steroids from a non-malignant tumor on his lung which keep us up at night so he sleeps in the laundry room with a baby gate which he hates. (Spent more $ on this dog in the last 2 years than all my animals ever put together)
He has started choking on his food, we have to watch him. Last night my wife had to give him a dog Heimlich maneuver as he passed out and started convulsing from choking on his food. He coughed up food and went right back to eating like nothing happened. Oh he still has a good appetite too.
His farts are so bad, it gags us. If he farts he will even scoot on out of the room leaving us to bathe in his crapulence.
He is almost blind and almost deaf and he has a habit of following close. He has tripped my wife and almost me and my son many times.

It kills me to think about not having him around. He used to go 4x4ing in my jeep with me. Fishing on my kayak, pretty much if dogs were allowed he went with me or my son.

Anyway, when do you think it is time? How do you guys and gals gauge quality of life?

20191018_163500.jpg

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
My old boy has been a faithful and loyal companion for many years. He is about 14 years old which is ancient for a medium size dog but he is in no discernable pain, Has a little trouble getting around from time to time but otherwise is doing well all things considered. Still loves us and we love him. Enjoys a good ear scratch and lying in the sun while I smoke a cigar.

On the bad side, when he has to go, I have about 1-2 minutes to get him out or he will just start going and cannot control it.
He has a bad cough even on cortico-steroids from a non-malignant tumor on his lung which keep us up at night so he sleeps in the laundry room with a baby gate which he hates. (Spent more $ on this dog in the last 2 years than all my animals ever put together)
He has started choking on his food, we have to watch him. Last night my wife had to give him a dog Heimlich maneuver as he passed out and started convulsing from choking on his food. He coughed up food and went right back to eating like nothing happened. Oh he still has a good appetite too.
His farts are so bad, it gags us. If he farts he will even scoot on out of the room leaving us to bathe in his crapulence.
He is almost blind and almost deaf and he has a habit of following close. He has tripped my wife and almost me and my son many times.

It kills me to think about not having him around. He used to go 4x4ing in my jeep with me. Fishing on my kayak, pretty much if dogs were allowed he went with me or my son.

Anyway, when do you think it is time? How do you guys and gals gauge quality of life?

View attachment 14800
You have to ask yourself, would you be OK living like that? Been through this with 7 big dogs. It is never easy.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Sounds like he’s at that stage when you’re gonna need to do it. I’ve been through it many times. He could be in pain, even though not discernible. I hope it goes as well as possible for you.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
Many many years ago I work for a veterinarian and that question came up many time from clients wanted to know is a Time?? I think the best advice that our doctor gave to the clients was when the dog no longer has a quality of life is the time to let go. Most people keep their dogs or pets I should say way longer than they should because we love our pets so much that we can't stand the thought of letting them go and in turn just prolongs the inevitable and makes your pet living uncomfortable ending. He also said you want to have fond memories of your pet for all the good years and if you let a pet go too long your last memories are about the times you had to spend so much time getting them outside, how many accidents they had, how hard it was at the end and sometimes those are your last memories.

When it's time do what's right for them.

We've rescued over 30 pitties in the past 20 years every single one lived an amazing life pass with dignity.

A year ago this past summer we had about two dogs down on the same day they both just aged out and their quality of life was not good. One of the hardest decisions I had to make in my life.

We used to service called lap of love. https://www.lapoflove.com/ is a veterinarian service comes to your home for the euthanasia that way your pet is not stressed having to go to a veterinarian clinic and having all the smells and strange people around. It is quite a bit more expensive it cost us about $1,000 to have both of our pets but down and taking away. For them.

So sorry you are losing your friend they deserve to be at peace.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Sorry to hear about your pup Jipped. I don't know if this will help now, as he seems to be really struggling, but when my old dog (13.5 year old 70 lbs hound mix) began struggling to get around I started him on TRT, .5 mg/kg of bodyweight a week. He moves so much better now. He can get up and down the stairs and on the coach with no problem. No more slipping and falling on the hard wood floors when he gets excited. He has been on for over year now and I am pretty sure has extended his life. I don't think he would be here if I didn't put him on TRT.

S

SilverFox

Oct 31, 2018
It's just as gut wrenching when your beloved pet were to pass away on its own, and you find it lifeless and cold one morning. That's what happened with my sweet dachshund who passed at 18 four years ago when I found her in her bed lifeless and unresponsive. Miss her!

BD Cool

BD Cool

VIP Member
Dec 1, 2011
I feel for you, bro... putting down a pet is a never easy. As others have said, factor in the pets quality of life when making this decision. Best of luck to you.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Been staying here silently, I cried each time we thought the time was right, except there's a voice of experience way superior to mine somewhere else in this thread.

Comes down to deciding if you are protecting the Dog, or yourself ... regretably there are no definitive answers.

"I feel your pain," jipped.

Warhead14

Warhead14

TID Board Of Directors
Jul 23, 2011
I will never be ready for that. I have one 7 year old Boston Terrier and mutt I found on the streets of west phoenix driving through AZ when it was 116 degrees out. Couldn't leave here there. I hate people that prey on the defenseless. Dont eve let me catch someone abusing a defenseless animal.... I am good with my life ending defending them... for real...

Attachments

• Olive.jpg
    Olive.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Gldy.jpg
    Gldy.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 28
trentracks

trentracks

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 23, 2011
Toughest decision you’ll ever make those eyes and soul hold unconditional love and honor

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic