Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

When is it time to put a dog down?

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Thanks fellas, me and the wife have been together 32 years. We have had 2 dogs and one cat. I have put them all down at one point or another. Now this guy. I am gonna take him to the vet Tuesday and have him evaluated for quality of life, he needs a refill on his meds anyway. I find myself thinking about him a lot when working or sitting on my patio. He normally is out there with me but cannot stand the cold very well now.

I really appreciate each of you taking the time to post. I know I am not the only one that gets gutted when their fur buddy is gone.

DF, he does not choke on water, He has never tolerated heat well but does not pant excessively. This was the first time he almost dies while eating. We watch him eat now. He just gobbles it down too fast I think.

DaSarge

DaSarge

VIP Member
Nov 20, 2014
Hey Jipped ~ We're dealing with the same issue right now. Our dog has virtually identical health problems as yours.
About 6 weeks ago, we finally made the decision to let him pass. We decided to spend one final holiday season with him and set up an appointment with an "at home" euthanasia service. We've got four more days with him until we say goodbye. Needless to say, the 'lil woman and I are both a mess right now..

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Sorry and I understand how tuff this is. You will know when that time comes. You will feel it in your gut.

About 12 years ago my X and I had a dog that she was feeding with a turkey baster and he couldn’t go outside anymore or walk. That was when I said it’s time. I would have done it a month earlier when the dog stopped eating and walking.

MARTY313

MARTY313

VIP Member
Dec 21, 2012
Man, I was never a big animal guy. I had a few dogs and never understood how people get attached. But i got this damn chihuahua… don’t laugh.. and this dog is awesome. Had it about 8 years now. So when it comes time to put her down I know it’s gonna be tough.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
I suck it talking about death and I'm sorry to hear you're going through it. Like everybody else said the animal will let you know when it's time, and always keep quality of life ahead of your feelings.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Hey Jipped ~ We're dealing with the same issue right now. Our dog has virtually identical health problems as yours.
About 6 weeks ago, we finally made the decision to let him pass. We decided to spend one final holiday season with him and set up an appointment with an "at home" euthanasia service. We've got four more days with him until we say goodbye. Needless to say, the 'lil woman and I are both a mess right now..
We had a talk last night. We think it is time. He still gets around and goes potty outside for the most part but like y'all said. Dogs are stoic and may just be hiding pain. and it has to be miserable to cough constantly. I got a rotisserie chicken and have been putting bits of the chopped up chicken skin and meat in his food. He loves it. Next week we will do the same with a home euthanasia service. It is 5X as much $ as a regular vet but he will be at home and comfortable. I will bury him in our back yard which is something we could not do without other dogs as they were so big and our yard not very big.

Gonna suck, but gotta do what's right for my buddy.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
. . . . Next week we will do the same with a home euthanasia service. It is 5X as much $ as a regular vet but he will be at home and comfortable. I will bury him in our back yard which is something we could not do without other dogs as they were so big and our yard not very big.

Gonna suck, but gotta do what's right for my buddy.
We always had to do it, 5 times so far, at, and from, our DVM ... then had to somehow drive home.
YOUR plan is way better.

DF

DF

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2012
Thanks fellas, me and the wife have been together 32 years. We have had 2 dogs and one cat. I have put them all down at one point or another. Now this guy. I am gonna take him to the vet Tuesday and have him evaluated for quality of life, he needs a refill on his meds anyway. I find myself thinking about him a lot when working or sitting on my patio. He normally is out there with me but cannot stand the cold very well now.

I really appreciate each of you taking the time to post. I know I am not the only one that gets gutted when their fur buddy is gone.

DF, he does not choke on water, He has never tolerated heat well but does not pant excessively. This was the first time he almost dies while eating. We watch him eat now. He just gobbles it down too fast I think.
Sounds like he may have Cushing’s disease. Symptoms excessive thirst, crazy appetite, sensitive to heat, a bit of a bloated belly, sore joints ect…

You may want to have him tested. Our vet put our dog on Trilostane. He had significant improvement and he is 15.

I refilled his script at Chewy.com. Because it’s 40% of the vets price. I hate to say it but he went backwards. That shit maybe bunk. Now waiting on the vet to refill the script.

best of luck & I hope your buddy does better.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
oh gosh, my heart goes out to you.
Very tough decision...but as some others have stated....you will both know when it is time. Sounds you've given him a very good life so hope you are both proud of that. Doesn't make it easier, but man you gave him a great life. Be proud of that.

Tiny

Tiny

Dec 12, 2011
This is the worst part of having a dog and it’s such a hard decision. Focus on his quality of life. You will know better than anyone how he’s tolerating his old age. We all slow down as we get older, and we all have our bumps and bruises. Just be honest with yourself on how he’s actually doing and he’s feeling. You need to have the strength to do what’s best for him…whatever that decision is. He trusts you and relies on you. He knows that you have his back

Let your pup live like a king his final days. Regardless how many days, weeks, or months that may be.

So sorry to hear he’s not doing well and your faced with this situation.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic