Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

whats the best exercises for good posture?

Needswork

Needswork

Dec 19, 2011
my posture is terrible.My shoulders have been referred to as rolled forward. I have quit working on my chest for a few months to try and get my back and shoulders up to par. doc and chiro recommended. my chest has always been strong and over worked compared to other muscle groups. I have injured my shoulders many times and need to get them to go back. suggestions ?

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
much of posture is a mental issue. mentally making yourself stand up straight, shoulders back, chest out, gut in and butt in. my dad used to get after me and my sisters all the time when we were young. you can have the most developed shoulders and back and still have bad posture.

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
my posture is terrible.My shoulders have been referred to as rolled forward. I have quit working on my chest for a few months to try and get my back and shoulders up to par. doc and chiro recommended. my chest has always been strong and over worked compared to other muscle groups. I have injured my shoulders many times and need to get them to go back. suggestions ?

Core work would be a good start, balancing out the abdominal and lower back strengths.
Upper middle back with the muscles that engage scapular retraction and squeezing of the shoulder blades together.
External rotation for the rotator cuffs.
The 4 way neck machine is a good tool for building neck strength a lot of postural deficiencies start with the head and neck the spine simply follows like trying to balance a plate on a stick.
People who sit in front of computers at a desk for a living get this problem very commonly...also adjusting the workstation if you have a job so monitors are more level with your head etc...the old ergonomics can make a big difference.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Hit the rhomboids and traps hard... I wrote an article about this... I think it's under the injury prevention forum. Just do a search for posture and it will come up.

Needswork

Needswork

Dec 19, 2011
Im taking in all of the above. I have been working on my core that i consider to be weak and of course could always do more. could you name a few exercises that engage the scapular retraction that you would prefer over others? I have been hitting some bent over flys and feel that may be getting the spot. Just looking for more. No neck machines at any of the local gyms i attend. I did ride sportbikes for a long time and felt that help to build a lot of neck strength. Not great ergonomics for good posture tho. thanks for advice.

Needswork

Needswork

Dec 19, 2011
Hit the rhomboids and traps hard... I wrote an article about this... I think it's under the injury prevention forum. Just do a search for posture and it will come up.

Will do. thanks

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic