Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

We're Purchasing a treadmill for Christmas

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
So we're looking into purchasing a treadmill for Christmas, mainly for the wifey but it'll be going into the ongoing build of my home gym. However, we JUST agreed to do this last night and spend most of our Christmas budget on the kids.

Trying to stay under 2k, no need for commercial grade quality but something that is user friendly, has a long enough track for running and can reach 15% incline.

Please provide your recommendations/pros/cons.

Thanks

ValeTudo8080

ValeTudo8080

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2011
Spirit Fitness has been around 40 yrs and and has quality models in that range........Vision Fitness also.....True Fitness ,Precor and Landice can gt over 2 K pretty quick but would be my tops picks.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
I would hit up craigslist. People are always getting rid of these things. Can find some nice high end machines at a fraction of the cost. I used my treadmill to hang my clothes on before i finally gave it away.

GuerillaKilla

GuerillaKilla

Certified Pillow Biter
Jul 17, 2013
Bought a life fitness F3. Wife loves it and it folds up. A little pricey but great quality and looks sharp.

htu

htu

Jan 15, 2012
Try Play-It-Again sports if you have one in the area. You can get great deals there.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Try Play-It-Again sports if you have one in the area. You can get great deals there.

I'll second that, i picked up a sweet bench few years ago for a steal

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Ditch the treadmill and buy a concept III rower.

My wife used to be a treadmill slave. Bought a rower when I broke my neck in 09. Since then, my wife has really taken to it. You would not believe the difference in her physique over time. She is in her early 40's and puts many 20 yo's to shame. Really made a great difference in her shoulders, back, even hamstrings.

They cost about $1000 but look how few are for sale. There is a reason for that. That is why they pretty much hold their value so well with 10 yo units selling for only 200 less then a new one. Try that with a treadmill where you are lucky to get 25-30% of retail.

If you really want a treadmill, I would do the craigslist deal.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Thanks guys. We took a look online and at Play it again sports. We both agreed that used (for now) is the way to go to ensure that we (she) actually use it.

Appreciate the tips guys.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
Thanks guys. We took a look online and at Play it again sports. We both agreed that used (for now) is the way to go to ensure that we (she) actually use it.Appreciate the tips guys.
you did the right thing... nothing worse than a $1500 clothes hanger... Craigslist would be a good place to find ALL of your equipment needs... I have built a nice gym myself for less than 2k.. now I need rubber flooring and a leg press.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I would also say ditch the treadmill. Run hills... free and better. If you want something for the inside, I suggest a stepmill or a jacobs ladder.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Good investment. I like to use mine while watching the news several days a week, usually after hitting the weights.

Since it's a machine you use to walk and run and sweat like a pig on, there's no sense buying one that is overly extravagant - I bought one on sale at Academy for something like 2/3 off the sticker price several years ago.

Have a home gym as well - sometimes I work out at home, sometimes at my favorite local gym - and it's good to have a decent piece of cardio equipment handy either way.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
you did the right thing... nothing worse than a $1500 clothes hanger... Craigslist would be a good place to find ALL of your equipment needs... I have built a nice gym myself for less than 2k.. now I need rubber flooring and a leg press.

I know you guys don't have many hockey rinks down there but that's where the best contacts are. Commercial grade flooring if you can get the GM to give up their outside sales rep.

I would also say ditch the treadmill. Run hills... free and better. If you want something for the inside, I suggest a stepmill or a jacobs ladder.

You know about what I've been through this year on the family front. It's more for her. I love hills, stadiums and long distance trails.

Good investment. I like to use mine while watching the news several days a week, usually after hitting the weights.

Since it's a machine you use to walk and run and sweat like a pig on, there's no sense buying one that is overly extravagant - I bought one on sale at Academy for something like 2/3 off the sticker price several years ago.

Have a home gym as well - sometimes I work out at home, sometimes at my favorite local gym - and it's good to have a decent piece of cardio equipment handy either way.

Thanks JR. I agree. Some cardio equipment is a staple for any home gym. We're in the inaugural phases of building but in order to use the joint checking account, I have to make sure it's able to accommodate both sexes. After some of the comments and further research, we'll most likely grab a CL or play it again sports model for now and if we're both using it frequently enough; we'll make a larger investment in a year or two.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic