Members
Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Vibration Machines

T

Tszczerbinski

Nov 13, 2010
Has anyone used Vibration Machines (i.e., PowerPlate) as part of their workout? .. I have been doing a lot of internet research and I ma interested in the wisdom from this forum

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
The title of this thread is missleading.

Reactions: KBD
NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
My only thought was "vibration machines are very good for women's need to orgasm"

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
well I was instantly drawn to this thread ;). What is the purpose of these machines?

goldy

goldy

Chutzpah VIP
Jan 17, 2011
My wife loves vibration machines. They work great!

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I use the PowerPlate in my gym for squat and deadlift days, and I use it two different ways.

Science has shown (and I can testify that it works) that 30 seconds of low frequency vibrations in between sets will reduce fatigue and maintain explosive strength endurance. Once I get up to my working squat weight (it's pathetic but I have a jacked knee and squat through the pain) of 275 for 3 sets of 20, ass to grass, I will jump on the PowerPlate for 30 seconds at 20hz in between set 1 and 2, and between set 2 and 3. I'll finish off my quads various hack squat machines and leg presses, hit up the bike for 15 minutes, and then before I leave, I'll stand on the PowerPlate for 90 seconds at the highest frequency (I think it's 80hz). Deadlift day is pretty similar.

I walked right by this machine for over a year, scoffing at the d-bags that were using it, until I finally read about it and tried it myself. It definitely helps. Don't knock it 'till you try it.

T

Tszczerbinski

Nov 13, 2010
Was it an oscillating type (machine oscillates from side to side) or the lineal (just up and down). My suspicion was that traditionalists would scough at it given that it is primarily used by physical therapists. But given it was initially designed by Russian scientist as a training aid (hmmm sounds a little like steroids) I am kinda surprised the the bodybuilding community has done more experimentation with it. I guess if it was a "proprietary blend per workout supp" it would be popular

Reactions: SAD
SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Hard to tell exactly because it vibrates the ever-loving hell out of me, so it's not easy to determine if it's going left to right or up and down because of the speed of the vibrations. Next time I hit legs I'll pay more attention and report back.

Nice post by the way, probably very true.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
My physical therapist had one of these for awhile. It reminded me of a paint shaking machine.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
SAD can you post the studies you found on the topic? I wasn't able to find much recovery wise.

T

Tszczerbinski

Nov 13, 2010
Info

A lot of marketing stuff to cut threw out there ... either the machine folks or the folks selling machines trying to pump their products (even read an entire review of product that was written by a guy that was reading the spec sheet ... it wouldn't have been bad but he also recommended never buying a machine based on spec sheets alone?!?). When all else fails, I went to wikipedia which also references a lot of the technical research

Whole body vibration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

T

Tszczerbinski

Nov 13, 2010
Effects of vibration training on muscle power: a meta-analysis. Marín PJ, Rhea MR.

Source: Laboratory of Physiology, European University Miguel de Cervantes, Valladolid, Spain. [email protected]
Abstract

The purpose of this meta-analysis was to attempt to gain a clear picture of the magnitude of adaptations in muscular power expected after acute and chronic training, as well as identify specific factors that influence the treatment effects. Studies using a power training intervention and containing data necessary to calculate effect size (ES) were included in the analysis a total of 30 studies. Effect size demonstrated that the type of vibration platform used is a moderator of the treatment effect of vibration on power development is the type of vibration platform employed. Differences were noted in both acute and chronic changes in power when vertical vibration platforms were compared with oscillating platforms. Vertical platforms elicit a significantly larger treatment effect for chronic adaptations (ES = 0.99) as compared with oscillating platforms (ES = 0.36). The data also show that age is a moderator of the response to vibration exercise for power. On the basis of the overall analysis, it is apparent that vibration exercise can be effective at eliciting chronic power adaptations. Exercise professionals can include vibration exercise as a means of fostering power improvements.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic