Latest Member
jacobss

UFC 296: Edwards vs Covington

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Yea, i'm not sure what the heck was up with Colby, totally different fighter from his prior fights. The crowd was booing the fight for a few rounds, and I don't really blame them. he talked so much trash, and he came out with no desire to win, or even put on a good fight. He tried to beat Leon at Leon's own game. I've never minded his trash talk prior, it's all an act and you can tell it big time, but I feel he crossed the line this time on stuff he said about Leon. I'm not the biggest fan of Leon (don't dislike him), but he just had to go out there and do his thing on standup. Colby hardly ever even went for takedowns, and when he did, they were weak and Leon even reversed them and took control. Leon even took him down. Total disappointment of a fight.

Wonderboy is awesome, but he frustrates me when he holds back too much. He made a major mistake in this fight that put Shavkat in a dominant ground position that eventually lead to WB tapping. This went about how I suspected it to go. WB's only chance is to keep a fight standing. He does okay on not taking much damage on the ground, but once he is down, then he is at a huge disadvantage. Wish he'd get a little more active and aggressive on the standup like he was years prior...even though I know he likes to counter. Shavkat is a force. It will be interesting to see who he gets next up the ladder.

Pantoja blew his wad in the first 2 rounds and faded big time in rounds 4 and 5, but once he got Royval down, it stayed there and Royval never was able to advance back to the feet. Pantoja was so tired the 5th round that Royval should have went for broke, but been aware that Pantoja was going to take him down. Royval needs more training, he has potential, but he is a ways off from Pantoja and an few others at the top. Pantoja is going to get caught by somebody soon in the later rounds, who will also have a good ground game...better than Royval. This was a decent fight.

Tony needs to retire. He needs to spar in training. He gets caught by guys on the standup too easily now. When he is on the ground, he has no desire to get back to his feet. Paddy was like a zombie that final round, like big time. If Tony could have kept it standing, he had a chance to possibly go for a TKO despite being dominated the whole fight. This was like the Pantoja/Royval fight in the final round, but both Pantoja and Paddy got the takedowns to save themselves. I wonder who they'll give Paddy next, lol.

Yea, Emmett laid the bomb of Hiroshima on Mitchell. Not much to really say except that it was pretty damn scary seeing Mitchell convulsing. I don't even want to think about how much worse it would have been for him if Emmett had dropped any f/u bombs. He is so lucky. I think Mitchell has to take damage to get the fight to the ground against top guys. In this case, he ran into a guy with big time power. Both of these guys got ate-up by Tapuria. Not sure where Emmett will go from here. He always has a chance to win, but against the very very top guys, he loses.

Totally agree about the undercard! It was damn good!

Aldana/Rosa was about as good as it will get for women's fighting....outside of maybe a few other top fights.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Great commentary brother. Agree with it all. I did not even finish Leon vs Colby. I went to bed after the 2nd round.

I thought we would be in a good fight drought until UFC 300. They were gonna hold the great fights for that card. But NO!

UFC 297 Strickland vs DDP is a banger
UFC 298 Volk vs Tolpuria as well as Paulo Costa vs Bobby Knuckles AKA Robert Whittaker
UFC 299 is a banger too. O'Malley vs Chito, Burns vs Jack Medallena, Kev Holland vs Venom Page As well as a ton of great undercard matches like Pedro Munhoz vs Kyler Philips and Yan vs Yadong.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
high likelihood that Colby never fights again

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
high likelihood that Colby never fights again

I've been reading that on social media a lot after the fight. I don't think he is the type to go out that way though, unless that is the best he can do at this point. If that is the case, with it being the best he can do with no considerable improvements, then he needs to hang it up. His whole gameplan was totally off IMO, and i'm not sure the reasoning. He stated he broke his foot 30 seconds into the fight, but I call BS on that, lol. He will never be a dominate standup fighter, he's just good enough to assist his wrestling. It's his constant pressure that has made him to the top though, and he didn't do any of that:(

Either way, there is a lot of new blood coming up and he will be lost in the shuffle if he doesn't come back to his normal self.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Colby will be broke in a few years and working as an usher at future UFC events. That's the closest he gets to the octagon.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic