Seated hamstring curls: 3 x 8-10

Seated calve machine: 3 x 15

Seated leg extensions (really light): 3 x 15

Hamstring machine: 3 x 5

Seated calve raises: 3 x 10

Cardio: Prowler

45pound plate on each side

Down and back 5 times at moderate pace.

Cardio beat me up pretty good today. I was huffing and puffing afterwards. Took me about 30 mins to cool down before I could leave.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Try it and you will see why it works. Cuts your range of motion down and helps you involve the lats more.

It also allows you to use leg drive.

The Powerlifting Bench Press is a FULL body lift (why it's one of the big 3) and it's not just the pecs, shoulders, and triceps that move the bar. We use the lats as well as legs to help complete the lift. We want to move maximum amount of weight and so like POB said we put ourselves in the most advantageous position to complete the lift. Using an arch makes the lit more like a decline bench b/c of where the bar will touch.

Now, not all PLers perform the bench press that way but many do. This also isn't anything new. Like Turbo said we train lifts and not muscles. We care about the #'s on the board, we care about getting 2 white lights, and we measure progress differently than bbers.

dallas

dallas

May 23, 2014
Pleas don't think I'm saying its wrong. I realise this technique must benefit you. But that would kill my back.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
06/20/2014 Over Head Press Day

Warm up shoulders

Seated over head press:

Bar x 5

95 x 5

135 x 5

165 x 1

195 x 5 (pr) Not sure by how much though.

Standing dumbbell shrugs: 2 x 15

Seated lat pulls: 3 x 8

Standing lat straight arm press down: 3 x 8

Seated reverse fly machine (real light): 2 x 8

Seated row machine: 3 x 5

Back extensions

I was surprised about my top set on over head presses. I only thought I would get 195 once or twice. So not too bad of a day.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
06/23/2014 Bench Day

Warm up shoulders

Bench:

Bar x 15

Bar x 15

95 x 5

135 x 5

185 x 5

205 x 2

205 x 2

205 x 2 ( using no leg drive )

Seated flies (real light): 2 x 8

Standing hammer curls: 25lb dumbbells x 8 reps x 2 sets super setted with Standing dumbbell shrugs with 35lbs x 15-20 reps

Seated lower back extensions: 1 x 15

Ab Dolley: 2 x 8 or 10

Shoulder re hab

Cardio: Bleachers

Walked up and down 4 times, then sprinted up 6 times and walked down.

I'm wondering if I should stop using leg drive on the bench press and just let the weight focus on mainly my chest and triceps. Maybe I am over complicating the lift and should go back to the old way I did it to build up my chest strength. I don't have raw explosive strength so I thought this might be an idea. My sticking point on bench is right at my chest area.

I haven't been feeling great recently either. The Dr. and I wanted to try adding a new medicine to my regime and its giving me some unpleasant side effects. So the past week has been kinda miserable. I woke up today feeling really un happy.

Last edited:
IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Warm up shoulders

Bench:

Bar x 15

Bar x 15

95 x 5

135 x 5

185 x 5

205 x 2

205 x 2

205 x 2 ( using no leg drive )

Seated flies (real light): 2 x 8

Standing hammer curls: 25lb dumbbells x 8 reps x 2 sets super setted with Standing dumbbell shrugs with 35lbs x 15-20 reps

Seated lower back extensions: 1 x 15

Ab Dolley: 2 x 8 or 10

Shoulder re hab

Cardio: Bleachers

Walked up and down 4 times, then sprinted up 6 times and walked down.

I'm wondering if I should stop using leg drive on the bench press and just let the weight focus on mainly my chest and triceps. Maybe I am over complicating the lift and should go back to the old way I did it to build up my chest strength. I don't have raw explosive strength so I thought this might be an idea. My sticking point on bench is right at my chest area.

I haven't been feeling great recently either. The Dr. and I wanted to try adding a new medicine to my regime and its giving me some unpleasant side effects. So the past week has been kinda miserable. I woke up today feeling really un happy.

Great work turbo! As far as the leg drive it's all dependent on your primary goals brother. Sounds like you're wanting to focus more on your chest rather than an overall strength for now. If that's true, I think focusing most if the stress on your chest without the leg drive is the way to go. Even if that means lowering the weight a bit. Might even consider tossing in some floor presses to really isolate your chest and eliminate fibers from other groups being recruited.

And about the medicine bro, that sounds horrible. I'm sorry to hear that. I would let your doc know asap and eliminate it or try an alternative. Being unhappy and not able to control it because a chemical put you there is no good brother. I hope you and the doc find the right approach. In the meantime, if you need anything you know how to contact me bro.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Great work turbo! As far as the leg drive it's all dependent on your primary goals brother. Sounds like you're wanting to focus more on your chest rather than an overall strength for now. If that's true, I think focusing most if the stress on your chest without the leg drive is the way to go. Even if that means lowering the weight a bit. Might even consider tossing in some floor presses to really isolate your chest and eliminate fibers from other groups being recruited.

And about the medicine bro, that sounds horrible. I'm sorry to hear that. I would let your doc know asap and eliminate it or try an alternative. Being unhappy and not able to control it because a chemical put you there is no good brother. I hope you and the doc find the right approach. In the meantime, if you need anything you know how to contact me bro.

Thanks man. Strength is my #1 goal, but I thought maybe isolating the chest more would give me more explosive power.

I'll probably drop the new medicine, and will have to get a new plan.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Congrats. 195x5 is ridiculously good. Your delts must look like they have shoulder pads under the skin.

Thanks Chris. :p

Not as impressive as your dead lift though.

Last edited:
Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
06/25/2014 Leg Day

Warm up on elyptical

Seated leg press machine: 3 x 8

Seated leg extensions ( real light ): 3 x 8

Hamstring machine: 2 x 8, 1 x 5

Seated calve raises: 3 x 8

Did 2 sets on this shin machine. You pull up with your foot and it works the front of your calve.

Seated leg curls: 3 x 8

Seated calve machine: 3 x 8

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
Nice work, Turbo, especially that 195 OHP.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic