Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Trying to help out a buddy, but GOTDAMB!

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
This new guy you're training is not familiar with this health and fitness culture. Just like you wouldn't be familiar with another countries culture. What you have to do is explain to him how to reach his goals instead of being annoyed with his understandable ignorance. You're the one responsible here and it doesn't look like your representing your life style very well. My guess is he will be turned off by this new way of life simply because you failed to teach him how to successfully live this new way of life...Shame on you HGH

His problem is classic addict behavior. I actually spoke with a former addict about it, who is also a friend I used to train.

The behaviors:

1) it's nearly impossible to convince him that there is a problem with his behaviors. (In this case eating mass quantities and drinking like a college student)

2) he gives himself MASSIVE pats on the back for extremely extremely minor acheivements.

"I haven't had a drink for three days!!" Yeah neither has anyone buddy, it's Thursday.

There's not much I can do when someone genuinely thinks their half-assed workout is beast mode. And he won't listen to any opinions otherwise.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Is your buddies name "Raiden"?

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
I feel ya man. A kid I know who has no real size at all just posted something the other day of him flexing and going on about how he has finally reached his goal of a "fully leaned out" 220.. he's about 6'1" and if he got in contest shape would probably weigh about 165-170.

Reactions: HGH
shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Yup, lots of out of shape older guys using 1/4 reps with way more weight than they should be using. Then you have to sit there and listen to how they hit a new PR.

I wonder how many times someone looks at me, then looks at the weight on the bar, then wonders how I look like I do because I am not using the weight they think I should be. Nice, slow reps with full ROM, maybe some rest pauses, and do it right

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
so i have a good friend whose close with my whole circle of friends. he's also a business contact.

he is out of shape so i let him come be my training partner.

the problem is that it never ceases to amaze me how delusional a man can be.

1) SO many fat guys think of themselves as "big guys" and don't really understand that fat and strength aren't the same thing.

So true!... I've been in the company of these types more than I wish to remember!!!...

Do this: Invite him to a bodybuilding show with heavy and super heavy weight's competing...Let him see what a REAL 230-240lb BIG guy looks like...Should cure him, probably won't ever go back to the gym!....LOL!!!...

:-(

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Yup, lots of out of shape older guys using 1/4 reps with way more weight than they should be using. Then you have to sit there and listen to how they hit a new PR.

I wonder how many times someone looks at me, then looks at the weight on the bar, then wonders how I look like I do because I am not using the weight they think I should be. Nice, slow reps with full ROM, maybe some rest pauses, and do it right

Let me preface this comment if I may... I by no means am disputing your post...Wanted to make that clear!...

I do both!...Are there any studies to show that muscle cannot be built by doing quarter, half, partial, etc. reps?.... I also do negatives and work to failure...

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Truthfully, he needs to squat and often to strength the connective tissue but of course there is a catch. He needs to use proper technique.

I had ACL reconstructive surgery years ago...Also, I have chronic back pain, which has been going on for many years now... Back fusion surgery was done on my L5,L6 a few years ago to no avail, with exception of relieving the sciatica issue...Lower back is still relentless!!!!... I also slammed both knees into the side of a car at a young age (had nothing to do with the ACL reconstruction surgery on my left knee)...

So, as u can imagine I go through constant pain with both parts of my body...Now, the knees are not chronic, but frequent (pain, that is)... I try so hard to work legs, however, it's like pulling teeth!!!!...The ACL injury hurts the worst regarding the knees...

Would doing squats help?... I do attempt them, however, it hurts like a motherboard!!!!!... I also try to do lunges, leg extensions and leg presses, all hurting as well, just not as bad.... What's your take on the matter, friend?...

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I had ACL reconstructive surgery years ago...Also, I have chronic back pain, which has been going on for many years now... Back fusion surgery was done on my L5,L6 a few years ago to no avail, with exception of relieving the sciatica issue...Lower back is still relentless!!!!... I also slammed both knees into the side of a car at a young age (had nothing to do with the ACL reconstruction surgery on my left knee)...

So, as u can imagine I go through constant pain with both parts of my body...Now, the knees are not chronic, but frequent (pain, that is)... I try so hard to work legs, however, it's like pulling teeth!!!!...The ACL injury hurts the worst regarding the knees...

Would doing squats help?... I do attempt them, however, it hurts like a motherboard!!!!!... I also try to do lunges, leg extensions and leg presses, all hurting as well, just not as bad.... What's your take on the matter, friend?...

I blew out my entire knee as a kid, had same back fusion 3 yrs ago, just had shoulder done last yr but still use full rom. Stick around, start a log and listen to these guys.... you will learn alot!

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
I blew out my entire knee as a kid, had same back fusion 3 yrs ago, just had shoulder done last yr but still use full rom. Stick around, start a log and listen to these guys.... you will learn alot!

I'm hoping someone can shed some light, I don't think I've got many more moons to go anyway!!!...Sick of being destroyed by the hindrance of constant pain!!!...

Out of curiosity, how did they perform your procedure? (Where did they go in at, back or front)?...

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Let me preface this comment if I may... I by no means am disputing your post...Wanted to make that clear!...

I do both!...Are there any studies to show that muscle cannot be built by doing quarter, half, partial, etc. reps?.... I also do negatives and work to failure...

From a physics stand point, it's quite simple. Work = force x distance. Moving 225lbs 2ft is more work than 275lbs for 1ft.

If it's studies you're looking for, there are many.

Article/blog discussing study results:

http://www.personaltraineroxford.co...-better-when-it-comes-to-muscle-size-and-str/

The studies:

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/C...f_Range_of_Motion_During_Ecologically.32.aspx

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22027847

In one study, however, it showed that, when squating, full ROM (Ass to grass) did NOT increase muscle size over partial (Parallel or just above). It was suggested that a full ROM helps to increase proper functional form though. In other words, the benefits of full range squatting goes beyond just muscle increases.

Reactions: 5.0
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic