Members
Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter

Try a meet or not....

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
I've been tossing around the idea of maybe hitting a powerlifting meet up and seeing how I do. A few people on here thought I should give it a shot. Here's where i stand PR wise.

5'11'"
243lbs
14-15% bodyfat
bench currently was 460
squat 605
dead lift 600

I need to post some videos of my form because honestly with bench its pure crap arching back and all that, deads is coming along better form wise. squats I have that shit down

I guess more or less could i contend in what ever weight class I fall into? I dont want to go up there and get flat out smoked by people in the same class.

TexSon

TexSon

MuscleHead
Feb 15, 2013
I'd get help from everyone here and go for it, red. Give it your best shot and get the experience in. Gonna be a learning curve involved, so get the experience.

But I really don't have a valid opinion. I am strictly recreational. I'd just like to see you do it.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Yea red, you would do awesome.

Powerlifting meets really aren't as much about weight as you think.

They are more about getting up there and challenging yourself to lift as much as you can.

I think you'll do great man.

Just my opinion man, but unless your going for a state record or a world record, don't be concerned where you place.

Powerlifting meets are very positive and everyone supports each other.

You will most likely warm up together with competitors in your division.

And you spot each other and help each other out.

That's what it's all about.

Last edited:
J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
You would have won your weight class in the last meet I was at. You have good numbers brother, find a meet and we'll help you prep for it. The biggest thing is just showing up and seeing how it all goes down. You will do fine brother

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Turbo did you really say a PL meet isn't about weights? WTF BOY? He is right though. The brotherhood is like nowhere else.

Red you'd lift in the 242 class and would likely take first so long as your lifts meet the rules. Squat to depth, bench with a pause, fully lock the dead etc...

And if you ran a real PL program and then a good prep cycle for the meet your lifts would go waaay up. Plus the gear you'll be using for the meet will add tons of aggression. You know which guys get on the platform here so PM anytime with questions.

1st step is to find a meet, fill out the form and write the check. Until you write that check out its a pipe dream.

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
Nice numbers and a respectable total. I think you would do well you would just need to learn the timing and ref commands and your good to go.

M

MatthewC

MuscleHead
Dec 7, 2011
I thought arching the back is encouraged. I'm in the same boat with you and my numbers a way lower even for the 196 weight class. I'm getting more and more convinced to write out that check.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I thought arching the back is encouraged. I'm in the same boat with you and my numbers a way lower even for the 196 weight class. I'm getting more and more convinced to write out that check.

Arching is encouraged. But.... Your butt can't come off the bench during the lift.

Doesn't matter your numbers Matt. Everyone will be supportive.

Yaya

Yaya

VIP Member
Jun 25, 2012
good numbers, go for it. You dont wanna regret not doing one

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011

He means to say he has no arch.

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012
Good lifts with those numbers you would do very well like POB said in the 242 class. I only know one guy in my area that can beat those numbers and he is sick of dropping weight so he is going up to 275 class.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic