Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

TRAPS, I need a good routine

wesleyinman

wesleyinman

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2014
Unlike alot of the other posts (which I respect) I personally believe in targeting the traps at the proper angle and like calves I think they need to be hit several times per week to get them to grow.

I have found a routine that I use with all my clients, and actually alot of Pro's from BBing to Strongman have had me teach them this regimen. It is a 3 day a week routine. Low weight, high reps, and what you have to do is hit the right angle of the trap, squeeze as high as you can at the top and pause.

45lbs per hand, reps of 20.

Here is a video, hope I am allowed to post. I made it only to give my online clients an understanding of how to do it correctly. (First video)

It's funny bc alot of my online clients complained that I had "small" traps from the routine, in the first video. But lets be fair, a video doesn't always do justice to the true size someone carries. So I linked them to another video just to show what size traps I developed from the routine I developed...and that seemed to appease them a bit.
(2nd video) -you dont have to watch the whole second video just til about 10 seconds in, just to give you an idea of the trap development I attained from this routine.

Last edited by a moderator:
FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I'll throw this in the mix...

Standing calf machine shrugs:

Apologies in advance for the bb.com shirt...... :(

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
Try the building a bigger yoke variation of 5/3/1. There is an article on tnation about it.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Heavy rack deads & barbell / t-bar rows, overhead presses, bent over db laterals. Power cleans can also be effective, but I don't personally do them. I haven't done shrugs in years.

gunrunner

gunrunner

Jul 24, 2013
Unlike alot of the other posts (which I respect) I personally believe in targeting the traps at the proper angle and like calves I think they need to be hit several times per week to get them to grow.

I have found a routine that I use with all my clients, and actually alot of Pro's from BBing to Strongman have had me teach them this regimen. It is a 3 day a week routine. Low weight, high reps, and what you have to do is hit the right angle of the trap, squeeze as high as you can at the top and pause.

45lbs per hand, reps of 20.

Here is a video, hope I am allowed to post. I made it only to give my online clients an understanding of how to do it correctly. (First video)

It's funny bc alot of my online clients complained that I had "small" traps from the routine, in the first video. But lets be fair, a video doesn't always do justice to the true size someone carries. So I linked them to another video just to show what size traps I developed from the routine I developed...and that seemed to appease them a bit.
(2nd video) -you dont have to watch the whole second video just til about 10 seconds in, just to give you an idea of the trap development I attained from this routine.

Hey Wesleyinman,

I need to build my traps up more and decided to incorporate a second trap workout in my weekly routine, once with back and now once with shoulders. After seeing this video I decided to use your traps excercise on my second workout. At last nights workout I told my wife that I was going to do some traps. She said she did them earlier the week and didn't need to do them again. Well, she seen me doing this new excercise and comes over and has to try them out. She ended up doing the trap workout with me. Just a little fun story I thought I would share with you.

I did like the feel of the excercise. Nice stretch and contraction. I hope to report later on making great progress.

Thanks
Gunz

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Rack pulls, deadlifts, high bar squats. Rack pull against bands.

Go rack pull from above the knee with 200+ over your best deadlift for a few sets of 3-5 and tell me how your traps feel tomorrow. Reverse band deadlifts can be good for this too. My 765 deadlift turns in to 900+ reverse band and guarantees me a headache from a sore neck the next day. Go lift heavy and they'll grow.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic