Latest Member
severedthumbz
What's New?

Training to failure on every set *discussion*

Samson

Samson

MuscleHead
Dec 8, 2013
I have been thinking about my workouts and how to improve them. I have trained to failure on almost every set on all exercises. I'm currently training in a more standard way pyramiding up then hotting 10-12 reps on the other exercises. I'm wondering if this is not the optimal training technique due to many more injuries and getting older.

I know when people train for power they almost never go to failure and hit the muscle 2-3 times a week.

I'm not a power lifter so my goal is to get stronger and add some clean mass as I progress.

What's everyone's take on training to failure?

The whole workout?
Last set for each exercise?
Or a mix of both?
Something else?

Last edited:
Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
I train to failure on everything, starting heavy then work my way down, changing to a weight that I know/feel will have me train to failure at around 8 reps. I've always done this and have always had people I train do this once I'm happy they're ready for it. It's not a training routine for noobs as it does leave you open to injuries if you're not careful but done right you'll grow both in terms of size & strength.

Samson

Samson

MuscleHead
Dec 8, 2013
I train to failure on everything, starting heavy then work my way down, changing to a weight that I know/feel will have me train to failure at around 8 reps. I've always done this and have always had people I train do this once I'm happy they're ready for it. It's not a training routine for noobs as it does leave you open to injuries if you're not careful but done right you'll grow both in terms of size & strength.

I have had a good run with high rep train to failure on every set for a 18 week cycle. It just seemed that pushing as hard as I do (48 years old) might not be the best training method going forward. Maybe the age is a factor in the injuries. I have always had them they are just cropping up in much more frequency when I push to the extreme.

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
TBH I don't think I could manage to train to failure doing high reps but the way I've always trained is if I fail at 6 reps I've tried to go too heavy, if I can do 10 or more reps I've gone too light. I try to pick a weight that'll have me fail around the 8 rep mark and I'm 40 years old

Samson

Samson

MuscleHead
Dec 8, 2013
TBH I don't think I could manage to train to failure doing high reps but the way I've always trained is if I fail at 6 reps I've tried to go too heavy, if I can do 10 or more reps I've gone too light. I try to pick a weight that'll have me fail around the 8 rep mark and I'm 40 years old

Yeah the high rep range was 18-30. It was crazy man. It shocked my body but I think I overdid it and ran that style for too long.
I'm back to pyramid training right now using 10-15 as warm up and going down to triples on some of the bigger lifts. Last set just moving blood/pump reps of 15-40. Seems much better right now. We shall see when I jump on the new cycle what happens...

Rockshawn

Rockshawn

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2013
Samson, I lifted DC style last winter and I gained a lot of mass. If my diet had been in check, my last show would have turned out a lot different. I gained 20LBs of Lean mass on DC. How do I know, 2012 august show - 202lb on stage, 2013 May show - 222lb on stage. I really liked it too. It's really a power building routine and not for noobs. You can choose exercises that are joint friendly as well. I've got a lot of resources on DC so let me know if you want em.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I don't know any powerlifter besides Dan Green that hits a muscle group three times a week, but that's besides the point.

I like the idea of having just one brutal working set for what your goals are. As rockshawn said (please post up your plethora of info) DC could be a very effective change for you.

Samson

Samson

MuscleHead
Dec 8, 2013
I don't remember where I read that 3 times a week. I may have it confused with Olympic training methods. I read too much and my old brain can't recall as good these day. Lol

As for DC style, I played around with it many years ago. I my need to brush up as I'm always looking for something new fresh to peak my interest. Would love some intermediate /advanced programs to review. If there is a specific site either of you recommend post it here or PM if its against the rules.

Thanks

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I don't remember where I read that 3 times a week. I may have it confused with Olympic training methods. I read too much and my old brain can't recall as good these day. Lol

As for DC style, I played around with it many years ago. I my need to brush up as I'm always looking for something new fresh to peak my interest. Would love some intermediate /advanced programs to review. If there is a specific site either of you recommend post it here or PM if its against the rules.

Thanks

Oly lifters train a lot more than3x week. Try more like doubles a couple times a week and 5-6 days a week. They squat at least 3x week. Most will squat more.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
First I want to get out of the way, I have a different perspective of fatigue vs failure. Fatigue is going until you struggle to get the last rep on your own. Failure is when you need a spotter to complete the last rep, perhaps with one additional rep after that.

That said, I will do at least 2-3 heavier sets with complete failure on my first exercise. After that, it's how I feel and base it on my gains/rest/diet over the last few weeks.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I personally don't understand Oly lifting training programs. We've got a local guy who is a national record holder (he's good friends with SS, BI) and coaches oly lifting at the crossfit gym my wife goes to. His training regimen has them failing often, like every day, and doing the same types of movements 4-6 days a week. It blows my mind and we've had discussions about how much stronger I got while never failing in training, and him doing the same thing while failing every day. To each his own, but it definitely confuses me.

Take away the fact that there are world-class strength competitors who have gotten there doing opposite programs, I just think that psychologically it sucks to constantly fail and miss.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic