Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

Those damn calves...

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Squats. Heavy squats. The heavier I went, the more my calves developed. Its been a long time since I've done direct calve movements. Throw deadlifts in there too

Haymaker

Haymaker

Oct 21, 2015
It seems like most things in body building there is no secret, just hard work.

SpyWizard

SpyWizard

VIP Member
Nov 24, 2015
Go very heavy and do tons of volume.

Also it takes a while.

When I first started lifting I had no calves at all. I now have 18" plus calves all the time.

Yep,

you can do seated, you can do standing, you can use a hip sled.. you can super set them with legs presses... and you can also do 21's with them..

2 x week, or rather 72 hours between routines..

day 1 do leg press to working sets of 12, then with no rest do 12 calf raises with the same weight... x5 sets..

day 2 (2nd time that week) ... start with standing calf raises, then super set with calf raises 1st then leg press 2nd...

it's just a muscle... and i do pointing outside, then inside then finish straight..

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011

Not true. I have the one old weird secret miracle cure that makes trainers hate me.

R

Realize

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2010

Exactly, my calves have always been good from playing football when I was younger. What works for me is the usual, heavy weight, squeeze at the top and stretch at the bottom. I play around with foot placement as well.

You're walking on them all day so for them to respond you have to hit them extra hard.

baitslinger

baitslinger

Oct 28, 2014
Mix up the rep ranges. I do what I call 'heavy-light" sets on the leg press. Put 400 lbs on and do 8 hard reps. Re-pin the weight immediately for 180 lbs and rep out until your calves are burning and screaming for mercy. Pay attention to how you weight the reps, meaning put the weight on the big toe to hit the inner head, or on your pinky toe to hit the outer head. Do inter set stretching. As mentioned, seated calf raises hit the soleus. Genetics play a huge role in the look of the calves. If you have a high soleus insertion like me, it's tough to make them look like an Asian calf for example. Mine are always a weak point, but I have gotten them to grow. Use them when you walk around. Ever notice a person with a bouncy walk often had good calves?

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Running with a weighted vest or jump rope with a weighted vest. Farmers walks on your toes. Just some ideas to try.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
he hasn't signed on in a month or so....too bad, he was just started to grow on some of us.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Wonder what happened?

But anyway if you read this when I added huge weight my calves started growing.

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012
Number one, calves are genetic like anything else....beyond that work harder. Volume Volume Volume for calves. I have known guys who literally train them every workout to get them to grow. I usually superset them with quad exercises.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Every male runner I know has gigantic calvez. Just saying. It won't kill your gainz and may even improve your heart health and bf%.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic