Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Those damn calves...

Haymaker

Haymaker

Oct 21, 2015
I do calf raise. What else is there?

Is there any positioning of the foot that makes the movement better? I.e. if I point my toes in or out or straight does it matter?

I know calves are generally a weak point for most people but what else can I do?

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Go very heavy and do tons of volume.

Also it takes a while.

When I first started lifting I had no calves at all. I now have 18" plus calves all the time.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
I like doing at least 5-6 sets of standing calf raises, then another 3-4 sets each of donkey and seated raises. Up to 12-15 sets total. At least 10 reps per set. Full ROM, good form - little or no jerking or bouncing.

My calves are much bigger better than the matchsticks they were 28 years ago, but still aren't that great - they're still a weakness.

Mr. Wiggly

Mr. Wiggly

MuscleHead
Oct 15, 2011
I have no calves................. :(

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Full ROM, good form - little or no jerking or bouncing.

This is good advice no matter what exercise you're doing.

Jeez I see so many fuktards doing "calf raises" and they are accomplishing jack shit because of poor or nonexistent form.

If you're doing them right it should hurt like hell by 8-10 reps but keep going to 15.

cynderella

cynderella

TID Lady Member
Feb 4, 2015
I change positions with my calf raises and I have hella ones granted I'm a female but I do pointed in, pointed out and straight I burn out the straight as many as possible then do the out and in 20x then rest and back at it. I only use 90lbs on the press.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
I change positions with my calf raises and I have hella ones granted I'm a female but I do pointed in, pointed out and straight I burn out the straight as many as possible then do the out and in 20x then rest and back at it. I only use 90lbs on the press.

Changing positions in my oppinion doeant do anything. Absolute best thing for calves is heavy sets lower rep range.

cynderella

cynderella

TID Lady Member
Feb 4, 2015
Changing positions in my oppinion doeant do anything. Absolute best thing for calves is heavy sets lower rep range.

Very true... I heard this around too not sure what the facts are on this.... exercises such as seated calf raises will focus more on the soleus whereas straight-legged movements (i.e. standing calf raises, donkey calf raises, etc), involve both the gastroc and the soleu.

Any ideas on this opinion?

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Very true... I heard this around too not sure what the facts are on this.... exercises such as seated calf raises will focus more on the soleus whereas straight-legged movements (i.e. standing calf raises, donkey calf raises, etc), involve both the gastroc and the soleu.

Any ideas on this opinion?

Yes, youre 9ver thinking it. Load whatever machine your doing with as much weight as you can handle. Sets of 5 was a favorite of mine.

Wunderpus

Wunderpus

Nov 20, 2015
Go very heavy and do tons of volume.

Also it takes a while.

When I first started lifting I had no calves at all. I now have 18" plus calves all the time.

100%. Calves used to lag for me because I trained them like most other body parts, 1 or 2 days a week. Once I jumped to 5 or 6 days a week with a different routine each day, they started to blow up.

Here's an example of how I would structure it-

Day 1- Seated calf raises, 3 sets of 10 narrow supersetted with 10 wide and hold for 10 seconds at the end of the set
Day 2- 5 sets of 8 heavy calf raises
Day 3- 5 sets of calf extensions on the leg press, roughly 20 reps or till failure

ETC ETC ETC, keep switching up the volume, weight and routine and they will grow. Calves are very used to being abused, so you need to really shock them.

Good luck.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic