Latest Member
TableEffit
What's New?

The Official PillarOfBalance Journal!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Walked into the gym feeling strong and ready... Walked out ashamed and I have no clue what the fuck to do.

Deads
225 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 1
405 x 1
455 x 1
505 x 1
505 x 0

What the fuck^^^ I blew a 505 Deadlift.

How am I supposed to compete in a couple weeks with a goddamn squat under 500 (remember I blew a 505 squat a week ago) and a dead Max at 505? I'm quite simply going to embarrass myself.

Bench
135 x 7, 7
225 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Shoulder rehab stuff and good mornings light and fast.

I am supposed to be at my peak in a couple weeks and instead I am weaker than before.

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
Chalk it up to a bad day and move on. Do this meet and do the best you can. That's all you can ask. Your young and a lot more meets ahead

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Stop beating yourself up POB. You have a lot of great things in your life: a good job, a great fiance(congrats btw), a healthy child, and a brotherhood of friends. The meet is merely a fun day of lifting and a beginning to a long and exciting journey. I feel beat up too bro, so I just took off the last 8 days and ate like a champ, and I swear to God I feel 95% rejuvenated and rearing to go. This ramp up to the meet is a learning experience that takes dozens of times to perfect, I'm sure. So we just need to pay attention to how we're feeling and learn from it.

I for one am going to drop the test dose next time and not start my blast so far out. I'm also going to not worry about what weight class I'm in and just eat for recovery and energy.

Pick your fucking head up and enjoy this experience bro. You know how many shit-talkers there are out there who don't have the balls to compete? And you are competing against yourself only. Not me, not Joe Schmoe, you and you alone.

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
Don't stress.you do this for the love of it.your not been paid to lift.some days you fell strong other days not so.dont beat yourself up about it.on comp day do your best and that's all you can ask of yourself.good luck

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Thanks guys... And Sad ;) lol

I don't know what the hell is wrong with me. Maybe nerves or something... I gotta stop freaking out...

I think some extra food would definitely help. I needed to get under 242 and I'm about 238 an dropping still...

hips

hips

Jan 8, 2012
Chin uP. I am always here pobs ;) you lucky sob just kidding...listen to the guys. First time is to learn and see!

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
Stop beating yourself up POB. You have a lot of great things in your life: a good job, a great fiance(congrats btw), a healthy child, and a brotherhood of friends. The meet is merely a fun day of lifting and a beginning to a long and exciting journey. I feel beat up too bro, so I just took off the last 8 days and ate like a champ, and I swear to God I feel 95% rejuvenated and rearing to go. This ramp up to the meet is a learning experience that takes dozens of times to perfect, I'm sure. So we just need to pay attention to how we're feeling and learn from it.

I for one am going to drop the test dose next time and not start my blast so far out. I'm also going to not worry about what weight class I'm in and just eat for recovery and energy.

Pick your fucking head up and enjoy this experience bro. You know how many shit-talkers there are out there who don't have the balls to compete? And you are competing against yourself only. Not me, not Joe Schmoe, you and you alone.

SAD is spot on, relax a little brother your life is full of blessings these days and you're going a million miles an hour. I was down to 251 on my way to 242 when I stopped myself and said fuck it, I've run a marathon with new shoes before and blew off both my big toenails at the midway point. Lesson learned I just ate what I ate leading up to the meet I weighed in at 270. If I would have weighed in at 276 I wouldn't have given a shit. That was the right thing to do. Later on if you want to brutalize yourself with weight loss then ok but for now you need to feel great, go in there and get off your first lifts of each movement and then push yourself on your second and third attempts.

My team had the best advice for setting opening numbers in the weeks leading into the meet I set my openers by doing a weight that was heavy and I could do for three consecutive sets of one rep, I did it and it worked like a champ. Even better my coaches called all of my lifts and the shit was called out in kilos and I don't do math LOL so I had no damn idea what I was lifting. You may not think that matters but I'll tell you it takes a load off your brain.

A meet is the benchmark that we use to measure our progress like it or not and before I did it I didn't necessarily buy it but I do now and I'm looking forward to my next chance to prove how hard I've worked. You will do fine, we're all in your corner! I don't have all the answers but I'm here to answer any questions I can for you bro!!!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Good workout today...

Bench
135 x 7
225 x 5
275 x 3
305 x 2
305 x 1
305 x 1

Dumbbell overhead extension
80 x 10
90 x 8
100 x 9

Barbell Curls
80 x 8
100 x 5

wide grip chins
5, 6, 6, 6

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
good numbers on that benchpress PoB. i would offer some kind of encouragement but it looks like SAD and Halo covered it all.

and besides thanks to you i now have the itch to compete so bad that i am going to try and find me a meet around the same time in August as the one you guys are going to be at. wont be the same ofcourse but i would like to have atleast one competition out of the way before the world ends in December :))

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I have seen it time and time again. Some dudes will have the shittiest workouts prior to a meet. Make sure you don't do much the week of the meet. Rest, ice and foam roll....worse case some light accessory shit. Since it's full power, my advice is to make sure your opener is something your can do on your deathbed. If you miss your opener: Game Over. I always look for something I can hit for a triple. IF I am feeling a little on the gambler side and my training has been going solid, maybe a something I can double. Biggest thing is have fun. Learn. Relax. And let the chips fall where they may. Meets will come and go. Rob Luyando, a world class equipped bencher put it like this, "Meets are lifting practice with an audience."

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
I have seen it time and time again. Some dudes will have the shittiest workouts prior to a meet. Make sure you don't do much the week of the meet. Rest, ice and foam roll....worse case some light accessory shit. Since it's full power, my advice is to make sure your opener is something your can do on your deathbed. If you miss your opener: Game Over. I always look for something I can hit for a triple. IF I am feeling a little on the gambler side and my training has been going solid, maybe a something I can double. Biggest thing is have fun. Learn. Relax. And let the chips fall where they may. Meets will come and go. Rob Luyando, a world class equipped bencher put it like this, "Meets are lifting practice with an audience."

Great post Hawk!!!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic