Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

The importance of Potassium supplementation when using HGH

S

Steve Armstrong

Sep 16, 2010
Not sure if anything like this has been posted before, but I always wondered why I got so bloated on GH. I always knew it caused water retention, but I always racked it up to decreased insulin sensitivity with carbs in the diet. Well, according to this article, GH (and IGF-1) acts to increase sodium reabsorption in the distal nephron. In English, using lots of HGH will cause salt retention. The easiest way to combat this is with reduced carb intake (for the insulin sensitivity issue as that does play a role) but also with potassium supplements. Potassium is found naturally in foods like spinach and celery, but you can buy pure potassium tabs cheap at a health food store. As soon as I started taking one to 2 pills with every meal (and using 7-10 iu/day of GH) I noticed a drastic decrease in abdominal distention and overall puffiness.

I highly recommend oral potassium supplements to those having trouble fighting the bloat associated with HGH use. It's a very simple solution and doesn't seem to be addressed very often. It's also good for your health seeing as how that sodium/water retention will cause high blood pressure.

Code:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18388193

georgia21

georgia21

Aug 30, 2010
Also, for those wondering why potassium helps, in short, your body must maintain a balance of sodium and potassium. Assuming healthy kidney function, extra potassium in the diet will cause a decrease in sodium reabsorption (it's far more complicated). But all you need to know is that water follows sodium, and supplementing with potassium will have an inverse effect on sodium (and thus water) retention.

Again, very important, this all stipulates normal, healthy kidney function

dropitlikeasquat

dropitlikeasquat

Dec 7, 2013
That's awesome that you posted this because I always tell people using GH to take a pot vit a day to also help with the carpal. :)

A

alterntego

Apr 2, 2011
would potassium chloride work . I plan on putting it in a salt shaker and using it instead of salt .
I dont really use salt on my foods but am considering this method .
any thoughts on it

Rockshawn

Rockshawn

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2013
Good post. Stopping to get some tonight

chestrockwell420

chestrockwell420

MuscleHead
Oct 9, 2012
ive always used potassium supps with gh when i read this yrs ago. i eat plenty of bananas too so that helps..

juced_porkchop

juced_porkchop

Feb 15, 2012
Good post. I havent given it much thought. ill add an extra banana or two a day while on hgh or igf on my next run.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
It's a balance you need with potassium. I hope everyone doesn't run out and start mega dosing potassium, mess you up!! Too much is deadly

Rockshawn

Rockshawn

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2013
It's a balance you need with potassium. I hope everyone doesn't run out and start mega dosing potassium, mess you up!! Too much is deadly

Very true. Isn't potassium still used in lethal injections? Supplement it.

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
Hyperkalemia "drug induced" different medications can cause this as well (ABTs, blood thinners, HTN meds) not only supplementing straight up potassium. Hyperkalemia can cause arrhythmia, slow heart rate and weakness. different hormonal disorders ( diabetes) can also effect how the kidneys remove the potassium so keep that in mind. only time i used it was when i was running lasix 1 day out ( never again.) Aldactone only diuretic i will use. i would only recommend an OTC Mag, Cal, Pot type supp. sorry i'm all over maybe Mike_RN can add something i forgot

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Pretty well covered TG, adequate hydration can do the same as low dose K+ (potassium) supplementation. If your body detects sufficient water availability...it will excrete sodium through urine to keep the balance. The only K+ supplementation I would recommend is Gatorade (cut in half with water) or better yet Pedialyte. I use these while running DNP, outdoor exercising during hot months and contest prep.

It's a fine line between too much and too little K+, I'd play it safe and avoid additional (non-food) sources.

B

Bonaparte

May 30, 2012
Just follow the RDA guidelines for potassium and sodium and you'll have plenty of potassium. OTC potassium supps are useless (as they only contain up to 100 mg each, and you should be getting 4,000-6,000 mg), and Rx ones should be used sparingly, as they are caustic to your stomach lining.
I used to think it was hard to get enough potassium through diet...until I reworked my diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables, etc.

You get most of your electrolytes through solid food, so no need to run out and buy pedialyte or sports drinks (which contain far more sodium and sugar than potassium).

BTW, minimizing sodium intake is just as important as increasing potassium (if not more).

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic