Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

The Cyclical Ketogenic Diet: True Fat Loss

goldy

goldy

Chutzpah VIP
Jan 17, 2011
goldy, the diet looks real nice. How often will you carb up? Once per week? What will your carb up meal or day look like?

I carb up every friday night, last meal of the day. I have typically 5 rolls of sushi and some soup.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I've been following this diet (perhaps a bit more protein and a bit less fat) for the past two months, and am now down 20 pounds of fat, and I don't think I've lost any lean mass. I've been extremely pleased with this. Unfortunately my carb cravings haven't gone away. But the low energy levels at the end of the day haven't been too bad.

When I dropped carbs before in contest prep, I was already 6-8 weeks out, and at a modest calorie deficit. That is when I was a grouch and miserable. I've kept my calories high, and I'm still losing fat at a modest clip. Very pleased with this!

M

mayhem

Nov 14, 2010
If you want even better results, use Coconut oil (1tbs) per meal for your fat. It is an MCT, an works better than anything else.

usa

usa

MuscleHead
Dec 24, 2010
I've done the Anabolic Diet twice and it's very similar. Daily carbs for me were about <50Gms. I also scheduled my heavy lifts on Monday after my carb loading. Monday was leg day-Squats, presses, and extensions. It was the initial phase shift 2 weeks that really sucks. After that point I always felt great.

jdjack

jdjack

MuscleHead
Sep 22, 2010
IMO probably the best diet anyone who wants health and strength while manipulating a simple diet.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
My problem with this diet has always been the fear that I wasn't getting my required vitamins and minerals. I don't mean required as in what the FDA says I should get, I'm talking about how much better I feel when I eat vegetables with every meal and fruit in the morning. If we get most of our vitamins and minerals from fruits and veggies, and we can't have fruits and veggies 5.5 days out of every 7, are we not sacrificing health for lower bodyfat?

The theory makes perfect sense, and I've given variations of this diet a go-round, but I always felt that the "two week lag" effect was as much from not getting vitamins and minerals as it was that our body hadn't quite adjusted to using fat for energy instead of carbs.

So besides the obvious answer of multivitamins (I don't think they can do 10% of what real food can), how can one make this diet both nutritionally healthy AND lose bodyfat?

usa

usa

MuscleHead
Dec 24, 2010
My problem with this diet has always been the fear that I wasn't getting my required vitamins and minerals. I don't mean required as in what the FDA says I should get, I'm talking about how much better I feel when I eat vegetables with every meal and fruit in the morning. If we get most of our vitamins and minerals from fruits and veggies, and we can't have fruits and veggies 5.5 days out of every 7, are we not sacrificing health for lower bodyfat?

The theory makes perfect sense, and I've given variations of this diet a go-round, but I always felt that the "two week lag" effect was as much from not getting vitamins and minerals as it was that our body hadn't quite adjusted to using fat for energy instead of carbs.

So besides the obvious answer of multivitamins (I don't think they can do 10% of what real food can), how can one make this diet both nutritionally healthy AND lose bodyfat?

Some people don't count the carbs in some of their veggies. Mostly the greens. As for eating fruit. There are a couple low glycemic impacting fruits that are recommended once your well on your way within the diet. I believe berries and watermelon are allowed on the anabolic diet.

Reactions: SAD
JayFive

JayFive

Oct 27, 2010

I've been able to eat some lower sugar veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, etc) and still remain in ketosis. I've avoided fruit but mainly I've just tried to get some sort of green veggies (or cauliflower) with each meal. Hell, I made faux-mashed potatoes out of cauliflower a few times.

Reactions: SAD
jdjack

jdjack

MuscleHead
Sep 22, 2010
Hell, I made faux-mashed potatoes out of cauliflower a few times.

One of my favorite things. You can make them taste like great garlic-mashed almost exactly if you use a good amount of real butter and cream. This is one thing that I wouldn't be able to do this without.

usa

usa

MuscleHead
Dec 24, 2010
I've been able to eat some lower sugar veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, etc) and still remain in ketosis. I've avoided fruit but mainly I've just tried to get some sort of green veggies (or cauliflower) with each meal. Hell, I made faux-mashed potatoes out of cauliflower a few times.

I've also done this and it turned out great. If your really brave try the no carb "pork rind" pancakes. Low-Carb Pancakes (Pork Rinds) Recipe -- Mr Breakfast

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
USA is right on spot. When I do CKD or any low carb diet I get in a variety of vegetables. I don't count anything leafy green towards my carb count, aside from just the multivitamin I get in a full head of lettuce plus whatever other low carb vegetables and fruits I want. You obviously want to avoid some things like carrots and corn which have higher sugar levels, but there are plenty of vegetables that are perfectly fine. I'll get a list and post it up in a minute.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic