The Cyclical Ketogenic Diet: True Fat Loss

JayFive

JayFive

Oct 27, 2010
dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
this is what I am on now, but will not go a full two weeks (initial) of keto before a cheat or carb-up until after this weekend, then I will start my two full weeks due to vacation and the like(this is my second week) and it only took me a day and half to get full back into keto after my carb up last weekend :) So far I am liking it, other than the stomach bug I caught that made me want to shove some carbs down my throat (whenever I am sick I want carbs)

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I think this diet works quite well. After a couple of weeks the carb cravings went away, but I still enjoy the carbs in my carb-up period. I don't really deny myself anything over the weekend, and it seems like the carbs I ingest go almost entirely to muscle glycogen replenishment.

C

ccjc81

Feb 2, 2011
can anyone give advice on how to get started on this diet or is their a website that tells all about it.Im eating very clean now but ho do i get to 50 grams of carbs a day and what about fat intake and protien intake during the week

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
can anyone give advice on how to get started on this diet or is their a website that tells all about it.Im eating very clean now but ho do i get to 50 grams of carbs a day and what about fat intake and protien intake during the week
To make it simple, here's how it works:

Macros:
Fat 65%
Protein 30%
Carbs 5%

Carb-up: usually a 36-hour window like Friday night and all day Saturday. Ideally, flip the carbs and the fats, but I've had good success just eating everything in sight during carb-up.

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
The easiest way to get 50 or under carbs is a little trick I call not eating more than 50 grams of carbs.

trackerbr

trackerbr

Dec 16, 2010
Good post. I'm going to try a variation of this next within the next couple of weeks.

C

ccjc81

Feb 2, 2011
so you do not take in any carbs mon-fri,and begin your carb load fri night until sat night correct.this must really be tough the first couple of weeks,Thought you could take in up to 50 grams of carbs a day and still be in ketosis.just asking for some advice,thanks den

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
I'll try to punch in as much info as I can.

Ketosis is a state where your body is dependent on the breakdown of free fatty acids for it's primary source of energy. One of the ways that the body enters this state is when insufficient amounts of glucose are provided to the brain, the brain requires 100 grams of glucose a day. So technically, any diet under 100 grams of carbohydrates a day IS a ketogenic diet.

One of the reasons why 20-30 carbs a day is the set limit is because after ketosis is set in the brain will start to use ketones as a source of energy, this takes somewhere around 3 weeks. The brain will use up to 70+ (but below 80 if I remember correctly) percent of its requirements for energy from ketones. So at the three week point your brain is using a mix of 20-30 grams of glucose and the rest in ketones.

Here is a food list. The Ultimate Anabolic Diet Food List: 101 Foods You Can Eat | StrongLifts.com

Anabolic diet is a CKD diet that was published in a book by Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale the food list works for any ketogenic diet.

You are going to get your carbs in from these sources
1. Minimal amounts from fibrous vegetable intake
2. Seasonings you put on food

I personally go the first two weeks low carb, 20-30 grams of carbs a day (you subtract fiber from the total carb intake). Some guys can go up to 50 and not have their ketosis interrupted, some guys can't. It's a very easy diet, just takes some mental fortitude to get used to the low carbs. You will have carb loads, so you can look forward to days of massive carb intake.

For macro intake, IronInsanity was correct. The other way you can do your diet is a more attentive method that looks like this.

1 gram of protein per a pound of lean body mass
OR
1 gram of protein per a pound of body weight
20-30 carbs per a day
The rest of the calories in fat intake.

Both ways will land you around the same numbers and are both applicable ways to figure out what you need to eat.

When beginning keto you should go at least 10 days low carb before a carb load. Here is the reason why.

Day 1 - Entering Keto
Day 2- Still entering/establishing ketosis (most people take 48-72 hours to enter the initial keto stage, it seems to lessen a tad when you've done the diet for longer periods)
Day 3 - In keto
Day 4- In Keto
Day 5 - In Keto
Day 6/7 - As you can see, if you carb load at this point in the first week you would have only been in keto for about 3 days at the most. Not a very good way to start out the diet. Extend it out to at least 10 days at first.

Last edited:
N

Namehere

Jul 12, 2011
Any one done this diet on clen or t3 ? I'm currently on my first week and using clen. I read that clen can mess with insulin sensitivity.

K

kartpilot

Jan 15, 2012
Any one done this diet on clen or t3 ? I'm currently on my first week and using clen. I read that clen can mess with insulin sensitivity.

I would like to know the same. Would also like to know if anyone has used clen and what affects they noticed. Positively and negatively. Thank you!

L

LDH

MuscleHead
Dec 12, 2011
I'm doing the Dave Palumbo keto diet now and have dropped from 226lb to 212lb since Jan 1st.

I have 9 days left on the diet & then I'll switch to the CKD.

I really like the idea of being v strict mon-fri & relaxing the diet at the weekends.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic