Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Tennis Elbow Prevention/Therapy

H

hardcore210

Jun 28, 2011
My right elbow is so bad, I'm getting a PRP injection done on the 22nd of this month....

M

maximus1986

Aug 21, 2011
Ive got it in both arms but theres no pain when i straighten my arm so i dont think its that bad, just aches all the time. had it 2 years, ive got 2 weeks off in november, would 2 weeks complete rest with stretches and ice heal it?

H

hardcore210

Jun 28, 2011
I haven't touched a weight since the first week of June, and mine hasn't improved any.

C

Crickets

Aug 21, 2011
I was diagnosed with this condition about 2.5 years ago. Basically the doc told me take it easy and wear the band around my forearm. I wore the band for about 2 weeks when I lifted and noticed nothing. I took it easy for another two months and the pain slackened. I came up with a warm up where I would do 3 sets of 10 chinups supersetted with sets of very light cable curls and reverse cable curls. I stretched before during and after the warmup and I never felt pain. This warm up has became so automatic to me I catch myself doing it on leg days too.

About two months ago I decided to do a workout at home and started off with weighted chinups with no warmup. I felt a burning in my elbow and back came the tennis elbow. I now do about four sets of my warmup and stretch more and the tennis elbow barely bothers me. I never thought about wrist curls helping, I always did them because I messed up my wrists after an accident horseback. Wrist curls eventually ended my wrist pain which was debilitating at times. They probably helped my tennis elbow as well. I think I'll add them back into my workouts. Thank you for this article.

M

maximus1986

Aug 21, 2011
Hey crickets, what weight exercises do you do? i wanna start working out again but i dont wanna make it worse. im def gonna do the warm up u mentioned.

R

Realize

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2010
I got my self a sleeve about a month ago and it helps a lot. I only use it on shoulders and chest days. Pressing movements kill my elbows. I can't even throw a baseball more than a few times.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Ive got it in both arms but theres no pain when i straighten my arm so i dont think its that bad, just aches all the time. had it 2 years, ive got 2 weeks off in november, would 2 weeks complete rest with stretches and ice heal it?

Sorry to hear bro... If its "not so bad" as you've said, then definitely try following the routine to strengthen it that I outlined in my article. Prevention would be best, but if its sorta there already, expect it to come back occasionally.

I was diagnosed with this condition about 2.5 years ago. Basically the doc told me take it easy and wear the band around my forearm. I wore the band for about 2 weeks when I lifted and noticed nothing. I took it easy for another two months and the pain slackened. I came up with a warm up where I would do 3 sets of 10 chinups supersetted with sets of very light cable curls and reverse cable curls. I stretched before during and after the warmup and I never felt pain. This warm up has became so automatic to me I catch myself doing it on leg days too.

About two months ago I decided to do a workout at home and started off with weighted chinups with no warmup. I felt a burning in my elbow and back came the tennis elbow. I now do about four sets of my warmup and stretch more and the tennis elbow barely bothers me. I never thought about wrist curls helping, I always did them because I messed up my wrists after an accident horseback. Wrist curls eventually ended my wrist pain which was debilitating at times. They probably helped my tennis elbow as well. I think I'll add them back into my workouts. Thank you for this article.

Interesting that the warm up helps. Must not have been too severe lucky for you.

Hey crickets, what weight exercises do you do? i wanna start working out again but i dont wanna make it worse. im def gonna do the warm up u mentioned.

If you want to avoid making it worse, pick up some lifting hooks or good straps. That way when you're doing pulling exercises, you can use a "false grip" and take your thumb out of it. Also when doing pushing exercises, use dumbbells instead of barbell and don't grip the handles so tightly. This will keep the aggravation down somewhat. Its all about the grip.

I got my self a sleeve about a month ago and it helps a lot. I only use it on shoulders and chest days. Pressing movements kill my elbows. I can't even throw a baseball more than a few times.

I started with a sleeve before I knew what this was. It helped somewhat, I think maybe because it kept it warm or offered a bit of support. But it won't do anything for you when you're working out or even pulling a jug of milk out of the fridge. Pick up the following two things at the store - a counterforce brace for the elbow and a wrist support for carpel tunnel that doesn't allow the wrist to move around much. It should have a hard plastic bit on the underside that stops you from bending the hand down. Wear the wrist brace when sleeping, and wear the counterforce brace during the day and when you lift. Take the counterforce brace off to do the exercises in the article. If you're diligent about doing these, it will make a difference. Good luck bro.

C

Crickets

Aug 21, 2011
I'm sure my warmup is not ideal. It arose from the need to warm up my elbows before curling. Honestly to this day if I try to curl more than 20 lbs with either arm with no warmup I get a sharp pain in my elbows. Pullups use enough back that they did not hurt me, I use very low weight on cable curls (about 20 lbs). Honestly I did not put much thought into it, warming up and stretching worked for me. I suggest doing the warmups and stretches POB wrote about and then doing very light work. The poundage or exercise selection is not as important as making sure you are warm before going heavy. If I warm up and stretch I can go heavy and do a large volume of arm work. With no warmup I'm weaker than a 110 cardio bunny due to the pain. I have the same trouble with my shoulder, so far I have found no solution but I am now trying the dowel rod stretch daily. I starting to think I was genetically cursed with week ligaments, that coupled with starting lifting so late and trying to lift with experienced guys 60 lbs heavier than me has led to me constantly battling some kind of pain.

M

maximus1986

Aug 21, 2011
Il order some straps and do the strength exercises in your article, nice one. So does this type of injury never fully heal? Ive never iced the injury so im startin to ice it now so hopefully that wil have some impact. Good thread.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
From years of heavy chins, filipini stick and knife, getting both medial an lateral tendons torn both arms , ive remedied the issue and avoided surgery by exercise . First during the aggrivation phase i do forarm work first and usually i can do my workout without pain. I also do extensive routine . Rope rotations just not sufficient. Either barbell , cable or dumbell forearm curls for extensors and flexors with arm on a bench. If i use cables allow arms to hang use bottom pully and either pull hand/ wrist toward or away from body. My gym also has a forarm station to do these in addition to rotations out and in.6 to 8 total sets. Some supersets for flex/ ext to make quicker and get blood in area. Ususlly do before my bis. All my strikes with sticks for arnis escrima i do as warm up pre back. Havent had pain in 7 years now. I learned value of heavy rehab work when i broke my lower spine. So now i apply that to all injuries. We bodybuilders are different than average person. So rehab is different. No 5 lb wrist curls when you can normally do 140 lb barbell wrist

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Ive healed all injuries with concentrated exersice for injured area. I work out heavy and never do i sucumb to straps or belt. I make my erectors my natural belt and my grip my straps. To me the body weakens when using these. And there are tons of studies now that verify and validate this theory. I only would use them when injured or in a competition using heavy heavy weight. I workout heavy squats deads and presses no belts. My surgeon in 1995 said no belts and my back has never bothered me as long as i work my erectors directly. Same with my forearms. No straps with 100 lb plate hangin from waiste on wide grip chins

P

popularfitness

Jan 26, 2012
About 4 years ago I had severe elbow pain that I couldn't do certain weight training exercises. It wouldn't go away and lasted for about 4 months. A friend of mine who has a daughter studying chiropractic medicine told me about a simple and natural therapy to use which I could do myself and my elbow tendinitis went away totally within a week. Now I rarely or if ever experience any sort of soreness or pain in my elbows. If I do feel anything, I will use this technique and it is gone immediately. My video at YouTube explains this technique and cure: Natural Cure for Elbow Pain Video - YouTube

I also have an article and text description at my website explaining this natural therapy but I am not sure if I can post it here. If I can, please let me know and I will post my information article url.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic