Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Supplement advice for women!

Namaste

Namaste

Aug 19, 2011
I am currently taking a multiviatmin (One-a-day), protein shakes (after workout and four hrs after workout, prolab purewhey), and a creatine pre-workout (xplod).

I need some advice from some people, about to make a huge purchase from bb.com and need to know what I should get for lean muscle gain, energy, health, and recovery

I have heard fish oil is a great supplement to take.

Also unsure if a dietary (fat burner, lipo-6) is really necessary in my case, but please bear in mind that I do have 16% fat on me right now...which needs to fade. That fat seems to settle in my ass and thighs, shame because it a pain to get rid of.

SO PLEASE MAKE YOUR SUGGESTIONS TO ME SO I CAN GET THIS ORDER IN AND GET THE BALL ROLLING!!

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Also Get you some tyrosine, selenium, and Iodine. theese are key to keep your thyroid up and running.

womens thyroids are alot more sluggish do todays enviroment and stress, poor diet.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I am currently taking a multiviatmin (One-a-day), protein shakes (after workout and four hrs after workout, prolab purewhey), and a creatine pre-workout (xplod).

I need some advice from some people, about to make a huge purchase from bb.com and need to know what I should get for lean muscle gain, energy, health, and recovery

I have heard fish oil is a great supplement to take.

Also unsure if a dietary (fat burner, lipo-6) is really necessary in my case, but please bear in mind that I do have 16% fat on me right now...which needs to fade. That fat seems to settle in my ass and thighs, shame because it a pain to get rid of.

SO PLEASE MAKE YOUR SUGGESTIONS TO ME SO I CAN GET THIS ORDER IN AND GET THE BALL ROLLING!!

Fish oil or flax is a great supplement to take for overall health. You might consider switching up your multi. Don't take this as Gospel but I'm pretty sure one-a-day isn't gonna cut it for an individual training hard. L-Carnatine has shown more and more benefits in studies for energy, fat loss and lean mass development. Creatine is on your list but look for one that is micronized and made with creapure. Optimum Nutrition creatine powder is a good choice IMO. Don't bother with the OTC fat burners, I don't believe any of them work without adding ephedrine to the mix. Consider checking out board sponsor Manpowernutrition.com and get yourself an E/C/A stack to aid in fat loss. Although I would say 16% is a good BF level for a woman :)

Namaste

Namaste

Aug 19, 2011
GNC Women's Ultra Mega Vitamin

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: Two Caplets
Servings Per Container: 90

Amount per Serving % Daily Value

Vitamin A as 50% beta-carotene; 50% retinyl acetate 5000 IU 100%

Vitamin C as ascorbic acid & calcium ascorbate 200 mg 333%

Vitamin D as cholecalciferol D-3 1600 IU 400%

Vitamin E as natural d-alpha tocopheryl acetate 30 IU 100%

Vitamin K as phytonadione 80 mcg 100%

Thiamin (B1) as thiamin mononitrate 50 mg 3333%

Riboflavin (B2) 50 mg 2941%

Niacin (B3) as niacinamide & niacin 50 mg 250%

Vitamin B6 as pyridoxine hydrochloride 50 mg 2500%

Folate,Folic Acid,Folacin 400 mcg 100%

Vitamin B12 as cyanocobalamin 50 mcg 833%

Biotin 300 mcg 100%

Pantothenic acid as calcium d-pantothenate 50 mg 500%

Calcium as calcium carbonate 500 mg 50%

Iron as ferrous fumarate 18 mg 100%

Iodine as potassium iodide 150 mcg 100%

Magnesium as magnesium oxide 100 mg 25%

Zinc as zinc oxide 15 mg 100%

Selenium as l-selenomethionine 200 mcg 286%

Copper as cupric oxide 2 mg 100%

Manganese as manganese sulfate 2 mg 100%

Chromium as hydrolyzed protein chelate 120 mcg 100%

Molybdenum as sodium molybdate 75 mcg 100%

Antioxidant Fruit and Vegetable Blend 105 mg*

The most highly recommended multi-vitamin on the market, but yet I have NEVER heard of it until now? Seems kinda fishy to me although the ingredients seem to back up the support.

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Those are a decent one Namaste, Girl Friend likes those.

Iodine content is way to low though, selenium is the recomended for thyroid support, that's good.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
first off, dont order from bb.com. there are way cheaper places. i will go try and remember to find the thread we have in here about where people buy their supps!

supps dont fix or make many things better. one can take a whole bunch of them and if you arent doing the workout and the diet thing right, the supps arent going to make any difference. also, depending on the supps, most of the stuff in there is in such small amounts that it doesnt do you much good anyway. whole foods are you best bet for most of your nutritional needs.

like shine says, a good multi that has the minor minerals in it is a great idea. we have a thread here on that as well.

i take a multi, several joint supp products, immune booster, omega 3, biotin and folic acid for my hair :D and then i use animal rage as a preworkout and univeral intra aid for my workout. i have tried everything else and run tons of logs on bb.com on supps and honestly, 99% of them dont do anything for you! or if they do, it is gone as soon as you stop using it.

hard work and time and a proper calorie intake are going to be your absolute best way to go.

i started out at 175# 32% bf and am now 175% 15% bf and it has taken me 2 years to get here. just enjoy the ride and make it a lifestyle and you will still be doing this in 20 or 30 years. go fast and burn yourself out or make it so horrible that you dont go back and you will be back to being unhappy and trying every fad diet that comes along.

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
So the more selenium the better?

No but you need tyrosine and a bit more iodine, added to with what's in your multi.

500mcg is a good range to boost thyroid and keep it strong, 1000mcg won't even hurt but the 500 is good from most test run.
6000mcg will shut thyroid down. just as an example to keep balance in there.

Namaste

Namaste

Aug 19, 2011
Thanks AllTheWay, love your results and hope to get somewhat close. I really enjoy the feeling of lifting and doing cardio. Although cookies and snacks seem to be a downfall that I am slowly widdling away since I quit smoking about 6 weeks ago. I lost 70 lbs over the course of 3 years lots of hard work and dedication to drive past those stupid fast food joints, but ended up saving myself alot of money in the long run.

As far as joint supplements what do you recommend? Dont want to tear up my joints at such a younge age.

I feel better about myself now, but want that tight beachbody with tone and muscle def.

Do you recommend protein for muscle recovery? If so which one?

Multivitamin?

I know I know lot of questions, but you obviously know what you are doing.
Thanks for all of your help.

Namaste

Namaste

Aug 19, 2011
Thanks Shine,

I have heard about taking tyrosine from previous people from my old gym. I had a few sessions with my dietician (back when I was much heavier) and was recommended this and iodine, also would explain why Im so tired all of the time.

Awesome advice!

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Bit of nutrit junk lol but good stuff, stimulates can lower thyroid so keep on top of it and you will be better off in the long run and feel better.

Iodine and Tyrosine Ð the biggest factors The two most important nutrient deficiencies associated with hypothyroidism are iodine and the amino acid Tyrosine. In this country, iodine deficiency is rare as iodine is routinely added to salt and the American diet is generally high in salt. In undeveloped countries where iodine is deficient in the soil and little fish and sea vegetables are consumed, iodine is a major cause of goiter and a form of physical and mental retardation known as Cretinism. Some 800,000,000 people worldwide suffer from iodine deficiency and goiter. The RDA for iodine is 150 mcg per day for adults age 11 and above, 175 mcg per day in pregnancy and 200 mcg during lactation. Lab tests for iodine include plasma iodine (by neutron activation analysis and urinary iodine. Hair trace mineral analysis may also be used to screen for iodine deficiency. Excess iodine may cause inhibition of TRH and TSH however. The dietary intake of iodine in the United States is estimated to be over 600 . Levels in excess of that amount are not recommended.
Tyrosine is the core of the thyroid hormone molecule. A molecule of thyroglobulin contains 134 tyrosines, although only a handful of these are actually used to synthesize T4 and T3. Deficient intake, digestion or metabolism of tyrosine may be a cause of hypothyroidism. Tyrosine is a non-essential amino acid in that it can be made from phenylalanine. However, some people have an enzyme deficiency and thus have difficulty in converting phenylalanine to tyrosine. Supplemental tyrosine may be taken in 500-1000 mg doses tid.

Mercury and Selenium
Mercury toxicity can block the conversion of T4 to T3. Similarly Selenium deficiency will also prevent the conversion of T4 to T3. Selenium is a chelator of mercury and can be used with dimercaptosuccinic acid to remove mercury toxicity from the body.

Zinc
Zinc supplementation re-established normal thyroid function in hypothyroid disabled patients treated with anti-convulsants. In a study, 9 of 13 patients with low free T3 and normal T4 had mild to moderate zinc deficiency. After oral supplementation with zinc sulfate (4-6 mg/kg body weight for 12 months), levels of serum free T3 and T3 normalized, serum rT3 decreased and TRH induced TSH reaction normalized. Since copper exerts an antagonistic role, high copper may inhibit thyroid hormone activity. A study of fourteen pre-adolescent hypothyroid patients and a similar number of controls for serum zinc levels revealed zinc levels were significantly lower in the hypothyroid children before supplementation with thyroxine. The authors suggest that there is an association with zinc deficiency and thyroid function. A study of twelve hyperthyroid and seven hypothyroid patients relative to zinc tolerance found that high levels of zinc excretion were observed in hyperthyroid cases and zinc deficiency was observed in hypothyroid patients leading the authors to conclude that zinc levels were a marker of thyroid function. Zinc and thyroid hormone levels both decline with age and may be related. Children's with Down's syndrome have many symptoms in common with hypothyroidism and are also commonly deficient in zinc, suggesting an association.

Protein and liver disease
Protein deficiency, starvation, cirrhosis or other liver disease can reduce the amount of transport proteins available to carry the T4 to the cell. In the case of liver disease, overall nutrition and specifically, glutathione may be helpful in promoting normal liver function.

Krebs cycle nutrients
At the level of cellular utillization, CoEnzyme Q10, magnesium and B vitamins may be helpful as they play roles in the Krebs cycle. B vitamins might have more direct roles as well. In animals, B12 deficiency is associated with slight reduction of type I 5'-deiodinase activity and with significant reduction in serum T3. In a study of fifty-two patients under psychiatric care for B-vitamin deficiencies, it was observed that in the female patients where there was depression and a low thyroid index, there was also a deficiency of vitamin B2.
On the other hand, extreme doses of niacin (mean 2.6 grams daily for an average duration of 1.3 years) revealed significant decreases in serum T4, T3 and TBG with no alterations in free T4 and TSH levels. Similarly, lipoic acid taken with T4 resulted in a 57% reduction in the expected rise in T3 values in just 9 days, suggesting that lipoic acid should not be taken with exogenous T4. Vitamins C and E only improved hepatic 5' Ðdeiodinization in conditions of increased lipid peroxidation due to heavy metal toxicity.

Foods to avoid
Thiocyanate glucosides, substances found in vegetables from the cabbage (brassica) family, have an antagonistic effect on the binding of iodine in the thyroid. Persons with hypothryoidism would do well to limit consumption of raw brussel sprouts, cabbage, kale, broccoli and cauliflower. Cooking negates this effect. Soy isoflavones also appear to exert a negative effect on thyroid hormone activity. Animals fed soy protein experienced a decline in T4, free T4 and T3 while experiencing an increase in r-T3. In one study, 37 healthy adults consumed 30 grams of soybeans for 1-3 months. They experienced significantly increased TSH levels and hypometabolic symptoms suggestive of functional thyroid hormone deficiency (malaise, constipation, sleepiness). Goiters appeared in half the subjects. Symptoms disappeared after one month cessation of soy ingestion.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
Joint suggestions: good EFAs ... always make sure you're getting good quality EFAs! I also like MSM. I can't say I've ever noticed any difference w/ glucosamine /chondroitin, but HYUGE fan of MSM. You're not going to see sudden differences w/ it, but over time, continued use.

And overall, I would say one of the greatest things you can ever know about joints is good push/pull balance. Esp if you're younger and just getting into lifting - always have an aspect of your training be focused on core / functional strength - this can be in the form of yoga/ pilates or crossfit type stuff where the focus is on bodywt type things and not so much just on the weight of what you are moving. (Only caveat w/ crossfit is going after challenges where there's lots of fast movements, e.g kipping pullups where you're giving up good form for some sort of speed. Form is the most important thing you can focus on.)

I'm saying this because after 30 yrs of 'per muscle group' type of training, the natural push/pull imbalances in my body have become more pronounced over the years. The neural paths that your body follows to execute a particular motion can be retrained, but it does take its toll.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic