Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Stretching hips

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
i thought the same thing ATW.I found some on google . I tried it out and it feels good.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
i thought the same thing ATW.I found some on google . I tried it out and it feels good.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
What helped me a ton when my hips sucked for a long time was hip mobility work done prior to training and even at home.

Also the IT bands will suck too so I stretched them and PVC pipe rolled or Rumble Roll each side.

The very worst thing you can do to your hips when they are barking is stretch them all this does is piss them off more your going to have to wait until pain is gone to stretch them. A teammate of mine got bursitis on both side think he could stretch them out and now it's been about 2 years and his hips are still a mess.

Did you notice YourBodyTrain never mentioned stretching your hips?

I Had to stretch quads myself for this and wish I knew what I know now thanks the YourBodyTrainer.

It's like a tight low back best way to fix that is loosening the surrounding muscles because just stretching the low back won't do anything if the glutes, hams and hips are tight and it's when I loosen the glutes and hams then the hips loosen up on there own as I loosen the low back.

I know for some this sounds weird but it's all connected together and when you realize this things get simpler.

JUST DON'T STRETCH YOUR HIPS THEY WILL LOOSEN TRUST ME!

I made that mistake of stretching the hips and mostly the hips all the time and things got worst but not like my teammate.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
hip pain is exactly why my old man wears gear when lifting those huge weights, he refuses to lift over 600lbs raw because he has horrid hip pain...be it age, arthritis or whatever, if he wears the suit he remains pain free....I have tried to talk him into working on his flexibility with stretching, but the very first day he decided to stretch..he did what he deemed worthy of stretching...flipping an 850lb tire....on the 4th flip...his achilles snapped...so I doubt he attempts to stretch ever again LOL. I tried to point out that that wasn't how to start stretching for flexibility...but being a hard headed powerlifter...it's in one ear and out the other...

anyhoo....good luck with the problem, if you want a temporary fix til you can work it out with stretching, try lifting in some briefs or a dl/squat suit

Even training raw I wear power pants to protect my hips.

Y

yourbodytrainer

Jul 21, 2011
Glad to hear you are all interested in stretching your hips PROPERLY. Rather than having you go on google and get more bad information, I am putting up a video that gives you all a complete hip stretching routine and how to perform it correctly. It starts with a seated hamstring/calf stretch, a seated glute stretch, the kneeling quad stretch I described and a standing inner thigh (adductor) stretch. Spine position is paramount in all stretches so look here first if you don't feel the stretch as we describe it. This program should be done before you train legs and after to undo the tightness that is a natural by-product of your training. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
acon83

acon83

TID VIP Lady Member
Jul 6, 2011
good info! I've started to acquire hip pain, and it's no fun. I'm happy to have some new stretches to try!!!

Y

yourbodytrainer

Jul 21, 2011
Glad to hear you are all interested in stretching your hips properly. Pictures and yoga postures miss the most important aspect of stretching which is maintaining spine position. This is the first thing everyone lets go off which then makes the attempted stretch totally ineffective and potentially dangerous. To assist you all with better understanding of my last post and to teach better performance I am posting one of our exercise videos that targets hip/leg stretches. The third stretch is the kneeling quad stretch that I wrote about. First one is a seated hamstring/calf stretch, second is a glute stretch and the fourth is a standing inner thigh (adductor) stretch. These should be done prior to squatting and definitely after to assist recovery and to undo the tightness that is a by-product of your training. Enjoy. If any of you need specialized help, leave me a message with contact info and details about your problem.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
So can you give us some info on stretching prior and after lifting.I have heard prior is a nono.I would love to see some info you have saying it is ok.I am nuetral on the subject I see pro's and cons of both.

acon83

acon83

TID VIP Lady Member
Jul 6, 2011
So can you give us some info on stretching prior and after lifting.I have heard prior is a nono.I would love to see some info you have saying it is ok.I am nuetral on the subject I see pro's and cons of both.
I have read so many different views and theories on that as well...I DO do it, because it feels good. I dunno if it's "wrong" or now, but I do before, during and after stretching...

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011

I don't know if you ever check in on my log but since even prior to my last meet and for months after I was having terrible hip issues. The psoas was tight which is pulling my torso down and to counteract it the glutes were constantly tight. I won't stretch prior to training. Ever. The micro tears it creates will leave you temporarily weaker. I was in physical therapy for a couple months and my therapist did warn me not to do any of my stretches within a couple hours of training. EXCEPT!!! If the stretches are dynamic. So here is the routine I've been using for a couple months now prior to training (daily actually) and my hips are 100% now.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Thank you and yes I read your log lol

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic