Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Stretching hips

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I posted this here because if i dont start doing it i am gonna be doing a write up on an injury in here.Any favorite stretches for hips.After the box squats and deficit deadlifts I woke up in the middle of the night from my hips aching.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
could be arthritis starting in your coxofemoral joints. my are starting to bother me all the time!

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
I would imagine with all the uni lateral work you do you have some tight hip flexors as well as a anterior tilt in you pelvis (tilted
forward a bit eventually leading to squatters ass). Unfortunaletly while strong like ox, all these imbalances leave your body out of sorts and not functioning as it was designed, ergo one leg at a time. I too suffered from tightness and spasms in my hips until after enough research I discovered the problem. The solution is to stretch what is tight and tighten what is loose and while it takes time the results (pain relief) is almost immediate.

Solution: Walking lunges going long and deep and or split squats with rear leg raised. I prefer walking lunges as they mimic real life. The best way to perform them is with a light barbell (BB) over head (as in the top of a jerk) as this puts you in the correct posture. Second best is with a BB on your back. I have done this religiously for 8 months and remain pain free. Although I was nearly pain free in 2 or 3.

Hope that helped,
Hawk

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
nice info CH. i do walking lunges almost every week. but without weight because i am walking home and i dont figure the gym would appreciate me taking their bar home :D

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
I can just see ATW doing walking lunges going home, lol. Dedication! I'm a fan of general stretching on a daily basis if I can remember to do it. It doesn't hurt, and I lift better when my mobility/flexibility are good. Even yoga helps, but it makes me sleepy.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
i was pondering this last night and my hips are hurting worse since i started doing more to try and strengthen them which leads me to believe that it is an arthritis problem. when they are sloppy then the joint isnt going to be as tight but once one starts tightening it up it is going to hold things tighter and any arthritic areas are going to be in contact even more.

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
hip pain is exactly why my old man wears gear when lifting those huge weights, he refuses to lift over 600lbs raw because he has horrid hip pain...be it age, arthritis or whatever, if he wears the suit he remains pain free....I have tried to talk him into working on his flexibility with stretching, but the very first day he decided to stretch..he did what he deemed worthy of stretching...flipping an 850lb tire....on the 4th flip...his achilles snapped...so I doubt he attempts to stretch ever again LOL. I tried to point out that that wasn't how to start stretching for flexibility...but being a hard headed powerlifter...it's in one ear and out the other...

anyhoo....good luck with the problem, if you want a temporary fix til you can work it out with stretching, try lifting in some briefs or a dl/squat suit

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
They are ok today.I think the heavy deadlifting and yoke topped off with deficit deads and box squats did them in.I will however take this as a warning sign and start stretching and rehabbing them a bit more.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
nice info CH. i do walking lunges almost every week. but without weight because i am walking home and i dont figure the gym would appreciate me taking their bar home :D

Well, if you brought it back?...

Hawk

Y

yourbodytrainer

Jul 21, 2011
As a result of doing box squats and deficit deads is you tightened down your hip flexors, namely the psoas and the rectus femoris. A simple fix is to do a kneeling quad stretch. To perform this, start on your hands and knees (quadriped). Place your feet with the soles of your shoes vertical on the balls of your feet. Bearing weight on your hands and balls of your feet, slightly raise your knees off the floor and let your weight sink back into your feet. You will feel stretch in the bottom of your feet. Retain this feeling in your feet and bring your knees back down, slightly wider than hip width. Slowly walk your hands back to your thighs and bring your torso up to as close to vertical as you can. The pull you will feel in your quad will be extreme and you will feel like you are going face first to the floor. Now, keeping the tension through your feet, slowly push your hips forward while holding your abdomen in. More than likely the urge to push your belly out will be more than you can control. FYI 80% of the muscle we are stretching,the psoas, attaches to your lumbar spine and pushes your belly out.
To make this a little easier, keep the foot tension and think of moving your butt back over your heels, push your belly out to feel the extreme, now pull your belly button to your spine. Hold that and begin to push you hips forward like you were doing a pelvic thrust. Hold this stretch a minimum of 30 seconds, repeat 3 times. Do this before you go to bed and especially after doing box squats and deficit deads. Your hips are telling you what you did to them.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
ybt, do you have pics because i cant figure this out :confused:

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic