jacobss
What's New?

Strained lower back from squats and deads

T

Torres

MuscleHead
Sep 16, 2013
A lot here def have the right ideas!!!
Inversion table works great for the lower back , it may give u relief , can't hurt to try !!!
Plus regular chiropractor appointments are great . I usually see my chiropractor every 2 weeks for adjustments and acupuncture .
Epsom Salt bath also relieves stress in any type of area !!!
Sometimes I even lay flat on the floor for 1/2 hour to an hour and that helps as well !!!

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Ok... Video of how to get upside down safely is needed - I'd hate to kill myself trying this shit and I don't do flips off diving boards or anything close to that kind of thing...so this is rather intimidating.

Btw, this thread has turned into a wealth of information. Big thanks go out to all who have contributed thus far!

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Update:
Haven't had a chance to get in the gym to hang yet but I did roll my hips around on a baseball and felt IMMEDIATE relief! What in the hell is this sorcery?!!

It's so common for people with lower back issues to try and stretch their backs to relieve the tension. Never would I have thought the pain was caused by hip tightness.

In retrospect, when I did my foam rolling warm ups Friday before squatting I noticed some increased sensitivity in the hip flexor areas so I rolled them a bit more than normal... Apparently sitting hunched over for so long drawing at my dining room table allowed for a ton of binding to occur. Went straight from a ten hour drawing session to squat heavy in the gym Friday... Not a good idea apparently.

Will get to do band upside down stuff Thursday and will continue to roll the hips throughout the day, but what a relief it was to stand up and be able to bend all the way over!!!!

Thank you so much for all the input - it has me cheesing ear to ear.

B

Brianlyndon

Jan 12, 2014
Follow med advice post strain/pull rest ice pain relief NSAIDs and do no HARM for at least 72 hrs post injury H heat A alcohol R running M massage then slowly had heat to the injury keep NSAIDs and pain relief and stacks of drinking water....Dr won't refer until up to 6 weeks to say physio in UK .

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Inversion tables are cool if it's done once or twice per day. When you **** yourself up though you can't beat the hip hang.

Inversion is also more for your back. Hanging like we do does more for the hips because you can move your feet around. For example, tight hip flexors? Let one leg hang behind you for two min then do the other leg. When you flip back up you can hit extension no problem. Inversion tables just aren't that radical.

Plus we look like retards at the gym doing it which is a bonus cause people leave us alone.

I just break out the lacross ball for the hips or perform banded distractions (but not upside down)... That takes me to my very own circle of hell.

And you know at my gym if I hang upside down, people will bitch and I'm already dealing with enough bullshit there at the moment. I've watched Donnie's tutorial on the hip hang and as much as I'd love to do it, I just can't risk anymore bullshit at the moment.

We have a table and your correct it's more spinal but I do also get lower back relief in muscle and erectors.

One can get some relief and stretch in the hips with kettle bell squats, I love these pre squat or deadlift because they have your glutes already firing before you touch the bar.

You're the second person I've heard say goblet squats are a great pre workout lift to do. I'll have to give these a shot next week.

Last edited:
Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
I just break out the lacross ball for the hips or perform banded distractions (but not upside down)... That takes me to my very own circle of hell.

And you know at my gym if I hang upside down, people will bitch and I'm already dealing with enough bullshit there at the moment. I've watched Donnie's tutorial on the hip hang and as much as I'd love to do it, I just can't risk anymore bullshit at the moment.

You're the second person I've heard say goblet squats are a great pre workout lift to do. I'll have to give these a shot next week.

A cross fit guy (cringe) suggested those to Wifey to keep her thinking about pushing her knees out. On blocks seems rather clever - there were some thots doing it taking selfies the other day on two flat benches. We asked them to move so we could dumbbell press - no love for hoes on bench day!

Someone asked them why they did them though and they responded with "hip health". They were being perverted and high-fived each other making duck faces, but there's merit to their comment...

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011

Do them for deads and gm's also.

Focus on depth, pushing knees out and squeezing the glutes.

I do those the the hip circle after, my glutes and hips are fired up to go and I can do less reps to warm up.

Chris Duffin is huge on getting your body ready before you touch the bar so you can do less reps and move up in weight faster.

IMO there no as affective without weight like a kettle bell, been doing them off a box for years and there is no comparison to them with a kettle bell without a box.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Now I've gone and bruised the area that gives me relief! Too much baseball rolling plus beers = tender hips (no homo)

Still helping though. Tonight I will be hanging with Mr. Cooper from the squat rack (no homo again) - will report bsvk

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
Now I've gone and bruised the area that gives me relief! Too much baseball rolling plus beers = tender hips (no homo)

Still helping though. Tonight I will be hanging with Mr. Cooper from the squat rack (no homo again) - will report bsvk

You can really over do it with the lacrosse ball when you have this type of thing going on. I've done it myself, and it sets you back a bit.

I wouldn't roll it again for a couple days.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Do them for deads and gm's also.

Focus on depth, pushing knees out and squeezing the glutes.

I do those the the hip circle after, my glutes and hips are fired up to go and I can do less reps to warm up.

Chris Duffin is huge on getting your body ready before you touch the bar so you can do less reps and move up in weight faster.

IMO there no as affective without weight like a kettle bell, been doing them off a box for years and there is no comparison to them with a kettle bell without a box.

I'll use those 2 as part of my warm up next week.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
You can really over do it with the lacrosse ball when you have this type of thing going on. I've done it myself, and it sets you back a bit.

I wouldn't roll it again for a couple days.

I couldn't if I tried. I really expected to see bruising but it hasn't come to the surface yet I guess. Extra tender.

Hung upside down with two average bands around my waist and it felt amazing. Will do this Friday again and will be doing all sorts of Kelly Starrett stuff for hips this afternoon and Friday before lifting. I'm debating on whether I should pull heavy or chill because now I just feel like I had a heavy day a few days ago, not in agony like this past weekend.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic