Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss

Starting out in powerlifting

Mass5

Mass5

Apr 11, 2012
Have been into bodybuilding for about 18 years but recently had a 2 year break where I haven't lifted a weight. I now have the time to get back into it but would like to change direction a bit and get strong on the squat, bench and Deadlift. Problem is there are so many programmes out that I don't know which is best to start. Have been reading a few journals on here which are very motivating so any help would be much appreciated.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
If you haven't lifted weights in awhile, just about any program will likely be good to begin with, but I think that Wendler's 5/3/1 is a good program to start, especially if you haven't lifted weights in awhile.

But after 4-6 cycles, you may want to move onto something else or try some of the 5/3/1 variations for the intermediate lifters.

Are you thinking of competing in powerlifting? That might be relevant to what programs you move to after a few months of re-acclimating yourself to lifting heavy.

Mass5

Mass5

Apr 11, 2012
Thanks Chris. With the 5/3/1 I don't have a 1 rep max to work out % for starting weights. So should I just start with a comfortable weight and go from there ?
By the way great journal Chris and highly motivational and also learnt some new exercises from it.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I think Chris has good ideas. Ask PillarofBalance and BrotherIron. You have great opportunities here!

Mass5

Mass5

Apr 11, 2012
Thanks bullmuscle ,hopefully they will see the thread and post a reply.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Thanks Chris. With the 5/3/1 I don't have a 1 rep max to work out % for starting weights. So should I just start with a comfortable weight and go from there ?
By the way great journal Chris and highly motivational and also learnt some new exercises from it.
Thanks Mass5.

Yeah, you could do an estimated 1RM and use that to build your training percentages from, or you could do a 1RM over the course of the week. Start each lifting session by warming up on that lift, and then at about 75% of what you think you can do for 1RM, start doing singles until you reach a weight where you almost fail at ... and if you don't have a spotter, then just go to a weight that you feel comfortable doing alone, and maybe add 5% to that ... and call that your "estimated 1RM."

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Have been into bodybuilding for about 18 years but recently had a 2 year break where I haven't lifted a weight. I now have the time to get back into it but would like to change direction a bit and get strong on the squat, bench and Deadlift. Problem is there are so many programmes out that I don't know which is best to start. Have been reading a few journals on here which are very motivating so any help would be much appreciated.
Just pick a program and go.

Don't over complicate it. It's very simple. So long as you practice good technique and work hard you will always get stronger.

U

uncxrt

MuscleHead
Sep 7, 2015
Exactly what PIB said.

Also, start a log on here and post videos. A lot of very helpful, knowledgeable guys on here.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
There are some guys around here who are very very smart and know what's up. Although, like POB says, just pick something and start journaling and asking questions. Plenty of peeps who will gladly get you going in the right direction.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
There are some guys around here who are very very smart and know what's up. Although, like POB says, just pick something and start journaling and asking questions. Plenty of peeps who will gladly get you going in the right direction.
hawkeye is one of those guys who is very smart about this and knows what's up. He has some incredible records!

So does Halo who has set some absolutely astronomical records. There are lots more here that are huge in this sport like porky little keg

Do start a log and ask for help. It will come generously.

Mass5

Mass5

Apr 11, 2012
Thanks guys for all the feedback it is appreciated. Think I may start with the 5/3/1and see how I get on.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic