Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

So You Want to Compete in BBing/Figure

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
This thread was inspired by another post I made and the critique of other competitors is welcome. I am knee deep with lot's of amateur competitors and this article is geared to those whose life does not revolve around turning pro. Rather it for those out there who want to challenge themselves by getting up on stage and just see were it goes or maybe put another check in their bucket list. So, here is what you need to know and do.

1. Stability: If you choose to compete it will add stress to your family, job and life in general. And if you are a wife or mom even more so. You will be hungry, cranky and generally despondent when it comes to intimacy. Heck, most competitors I know have zero interest in sex for the last month of show prep. All this adds pressure and your spouse or significant other needs to be behind you. Not to mention if you have financial troubles or a challenging job you are going to multiply the pressure. So, just make sure you have support and as much stability as possible.

2. Set your Goals: Make sure you have your head on right so when they hand out trophies you can hold your head high. If you plan on taking the whole show and end up placing 16th than you not doing yourself justice. However, if your goal is to come in the best shape of your life or just to say, I did it. You will not be disappointed and anything more is a bonus.

3.Get a Coach: This is not an option unless you are into embarrassing yourself. You need a second set of eyes when your mind starts screwing with you. One day you will think you look great and the next fat a flat. Not to mention timing your conditioning to come on time. Granted nobody knows you like you, but the experience of a veteran competitor (not some dork personal trainer) is a neccesity to coming in your best and on time. It's one of those, "you don't know what you don't know" things.

4. Get a Posing Coach: I could include this in the above, but to many people think good posing is optional. IT"S NOT. That's all your doing-POSING. This is not something secondary. I can always tell when people do not have posing coaches cuz they look bad no matter what pose they hit...heck I have seen people with good posing coaches pose horribly. A good posing coach is going to make you look your best in every pose. Once again experience in this area is critical even if you have to drive 1/2hr every week to meet with them.

5. Show Prep: This includes everything from music choice to tanning. I am going to offer two pieces of advice that can act as guidelines. The first is do it right, do not go to your friends friend who says they can give you a show tan...no go to someone who is experienced. Two, is do do not try and hit a home run your first time out or maybe anytime. In other words do not go to extremes, keep your posing routine simple and use diuretics and CHO loading mildy. Do not over do it.

6. Have fun: I often tell people that I equate bbing to NASCAR. While I may be in the spot light, I have so many people behind me that the whole team wins when I place. I tanked at my last show, but I had a great time meeting other competitors back stage, traveling with my family and having some beers and pizza with friends after the show. Not to mention any way it ends up you will have challenged yourself, had some cool experiences and stories to tell if you choose to enjoy yourself.

Hawk

Last edited:
AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
all the more reason to not compete :D

great info chickHawk! thanks for the very wise words!

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
One add-on to Hawk's wisdom.....
When you hire a coach, they are the embodiment of truth. Do not listen to ANYTHING anyone else says to you. Wives, husbands, friends, other athletes and coaches, none of them exist. Just you and your coach. Everyone will become an "expert" as the show draws near. If you deviate from your track, you will fail. The coach is the beacon of light in all the prep madness; hold fast to his/her words.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Great post Hawk. Very solid advice in there... MAYO is right on as per usual as well...

SJA

SJA

MuscleHead
Feb 24, 2011
Mayo is correct. If I ever get approached by someone who has a trainer already and they are asking for a "second opinion" I always gracefully decline and tell them that I would just fill their head full of useless shit. Stick with ONE trainer for comps.....or you will have severe head spins.

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
thanks for this , it is definitely a lot to take in when trying to decide whether a competition is worth it, and this is a good place to start

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
When you hire a coach, they are the embodiment of truth. Do not listen to ANYTHING anyone else says to you. Wives, husbands, friends, other athletes and coaches, none of them exist. Just you and your coach. Everyone will become an "expert" as the show draws near. If you deviate from your track, you will fail. The coach is the beacon of light in all the prep madness; hold fast to his/her words.

Right on Mayo, good addition.

Hawk

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
I gotta bump this old thread here.. I am looking to compete in my first show in April/May and i have so many questions..
should I get a trainer before contest prep time to help with offseason? is 16 weeks of coaching on poses and conditioning going to be sufficient if my training is right and bf% is in an adequate place? Also there are so many different kinds of shows... I think the one I looked at was an NPC show. I really don't know too much about the different federations/associations so I need some guidance in choosing what show would be right for me.

nationwide

nationwide

VIP Member
Mar 19, 2011
exactly...if u hire a coach it is his/her words u listen too,if u start listening to multable people u are in for diaster.

cheddar cheese

cheddar cheese

TID Lady Member
Aug 29, 2011
I gotta bump this old thread here.. I am looking to compete in my first show in April/May and i have so many questions..
should I get a trainer before contest prep time to help with offseason? is 16 weeks of coaching on poses and conditioning going to be sufficient if my training is right and bf% is in an adequate place? Also there are so many different kinds of shows... I think the one I looked at was an NPC show. I really don't know too much about the different federations/associations so I need some guidance in choosing what show would be right for me.

Depends on your conditioning in the off season but 16 weeks should be sufficient enough time to diet down for a show, but yes I would get a coach for your off season, they can critique you with which body parts you may need to bring up. Contact the promoter to get the guidelines, each federation has different rules & requirements so make sure you contact the promoter. Another thing to add is make sure your posing trunks/suit fits you properly, with your body changing rapidly and frequently you want to get it fitted a few times before you hit the stage. People are going to approach you with their "knowledge" and tricks, like the others said only listen to your coach.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic