Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

So why do we keep killing our selves

BD Cool

BD Cool

VIP Member
Dec 1, 2011
Been lifting for 20 years now & still enjoy it. I like being & looking different than other people... guys my age now all play golf & have beer guts... that would be punishment for me.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I got to thinking about his today. Why do we keep killing ourselves in the gym, day after day, turns into week after week, turns into year after year. I know for some of us, the younger guys who are still young, dumb, and full of cum, they have dreams and goals of making it big, and being success full. For me when I was younger it was all about football, then college ball, then power lifting, the kids and life took over, and now the last 3 years Im back at body building. Will I ever compete, probably not.....

Why do us older guys keep doing this, for what reason.? Im 41, why to I keep trying to be bigger badder than the next guy. Why cant I just be happy with fit and in-shape, and healthy.

All Opinions Welcomed.

The Old Man
Well I actually do compete...

I would rather be dead then normal.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Quad day is usually the one exception where I feel as though I've really pushed my whole body overall to another level and I'm totally wiped out.

A heavy back day where lots of heavy pulls, pullups, and free weight rows are done is also pretty brutal, but not on the same level as doing 12-16 total hard, heavy work sets of quad work - such as several work sets each of barbell back squats (after 3-4 warmup pyramid sets), plate-loaded machine squats, leg presses, and perhaps 2-3 sets of hacks at the end.

If you're totally wiped out full-body wise after every training session, you're probably either doing too much work, overdoing the intensity, or perhaps have other things in your life that are draining your energy. Sometimes work over-stresses me, and I am affected by seasonal allergies somewhat from time to time.

I usually take a week off from the gym every couple of months, and about once a year I will take 2-4 weeks off. After a week or 2 of not working out, I find myself going crazy to get back to the iron.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Lets see, I am 50 always get callled 40, still pull 20 something chicks and the young buck GTFO of my way.
Isn't that enough??

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Because we're all going to die anyways so die doing what makes you feel the best.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I'm 49, have been lifting since I was a teen, enhanced for 3 years, and presently making the biggest size and strength gains of my life. Pillar is right, I'd rather be dead than normal (i.e. fat and middle aged -- been there, done that and am over it). I now have veins and muscles popping out everywhere and I am giving the young guys a run for their money!

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Well I actually do compete...

I would rather be dead then normal.

This sums it up for me.

To me the whole thing, lifting, eating, enhancement is a great love. I absolutely thrive on it!

I agree with Woody also. He and I are the same age and we both share the fact we are getting better and better.

I have been lifting and eating six meals a day since 1997.

I fully intend on being one hell of a m***** f****** man at age 80 and beyond!

I Love this! Change things up? Yes!

Quit?

N. E. V. E. R. ! ! !

texas boy

texas boy

May 28, 2014
Late thirties here. Lifting/working out is my stress relief. Plus I like being a doer. Everyone wants to look their best but few are willing to put in the sweat to get there. I enjoy being the big lean guy when I walk into a room. And like a few others have said already it's fun to show up the young guys. It's always been in my blood to push the limits.

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
I train because I love it not as intense as I did when I was in my 20s but still enjoy it injuries have been a bitch but that's life in the iron game.

i still have a solid physic and still have a high natural test without the gear at 43 but I love the way my body feels after a work out.complements feel good but holding a solid erection when having sex is more important than big muscles lol

if I had my time over I defenityly would have trained smarter when I was younger thou

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
I got stuck in a dead-end job early in life to support my growing family, got stupid heavy and, consequently, unhealthy.

At first, I was in the gym with obscene aspirations of a six-pack. I wanted to age well and wanted to feel confident with my shirt off.

Then there were two guys maxing on their bench and I watched them, and then watched the group of people that formed around them. They were making five pound jumps past four plates and it was exciting to watch. Saw Wifey's face, and the crowds' faces, and they were equally excited. Boom. I wanted strength more than anything at that point.

I had been so out of touch with competition by then... Last sport I played was baseball in high school. I was in my twenties at this point and the only time I played to win was pick-up basketball. The moment I tested my strength I was hooked. When I saddled up with a powerlifting meet in sight I felt invigorated. The moment I stepped on the platform for the first time I felt at home.

I'm challenging my limits on a regular basis. I'm learning my body every day, I'm understanding how to live longer and I'm passing what info I've obtained onto others who are thirsty. I will be able to confidently school my children and their children, I will continue to grow mentally and physically, and hopefully allow my body to age with less stress, living longer, with greater comfort. I get to test my will, my strength and my intuition constantly and am setting a good example for my peers. I can't give this up - it wouldn't feel right.

And let's be honest... The wife love muscles and I love when she loves me.

Stockholm Syndrome

Hahaha!

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
I hear ya old man . Sometimes the hardest part of my workout is making it from my bed to my car . Even in my other training I'm fighting and look around as I'm 50 in some places in the only one over 20 and I wonder why ? Is it a 40 year habit ? An obsession? I don't feel I'm sacrificing in fact if I don't train hard I feel like I'm missing something. Of course like most feudal warriors I have remained detached. No family no distractions . I can't imagine you guys that take care of family have the energy and discipline . To me that's just superhuman . People in my life know I was special forces , somehow survived a war , they think I'm superhuman - yet I think of one of my friends - gym daily , works construction. At 48 he has huge house two cars three kids , all happy new clothing full fridge , eldest in college . To me that's unimaginable, how does one do that I don't know . No rich inheritance just waking up every day working his ass off

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic