Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

So why do we keep killing our selves

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
I got to thinking about his today. Why do we keep killing ourselves in the gym, day after day, turns into week after week, turns into year after year. I know for some of us, the younger guys who are still young, dumb, and full of cum, they have dreams and goals of making it big, and being success full. For me when I was younger it was all about football, then college ball, then power lifting, the kids and life took over, and now the last 3 years Im back at body building. Will I ever compete, probably not.....

Why do us older guys keep doing this, for what reason.? Im 41, why to I keep trying to be bigger badder than the next guy. Why cant I just be happy with fit and in-shape, and healthy.

All Opinions Welcomed.

The Old Man

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
Two reasons. Very few things you can do (alone) every day that make you feel as good as a good workout. And I like being a bad motherfuker and being strong as ****.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I'm turning 45 this year and did my first BB comp at 43. Nothing to it once I got past the shaving a the spray tan ;)
I do it because I can still get first callout in the open with guys 20yrs younger.
I do it because its better than warming a barstool punishing my liver like I did half my life.
I do it because I found meditating put me to sleep.
I do it because my wife is 8yrs younger and in "her prime".
I do it because deep inside I love to train and always will.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
what I call the Fountain of Youth Syndrome. The concept applies to the general public too, where just looking fit/tone/buff is the more common goal, accompanied by a desire to feel better, live longer, etc.

Our version went off on a tangent somewhere. Some of the goals when we were young that OP mentions, working to get great, or at least better, in BB or some sport, or sometimes just a skinny kid who wants to get unmistakably bigger and stronger. As the years pass we have moments of clarity where we realize original goals have come as close to happening as they are ever likely to, but by now it's a habit. That, and the more logical goal of at least maintaining what took us so long to get, for as long as we can.

Thus far I am very satisfied with the path I chose, with one warning, an unfortunate side effect if you will:

If you have always been happy with your life partner of whatever race, creed, color, religion, gender or species, you two are close in age, and your partner wants nothing to do with chemical enhancement, you are likely to have a stronger libido and a better ability to act on that libido than your partner does. The difference may be subtle at first, might remain subtle till your 40's in some lucky cases, but the gap gets way wider after that. It creates problems, trust me.

Last edited:
Ironmike72

Ironmike72

Aug 13, 2012
I got to thinking about his today. Why do we keep killing ourselves in the gym, day after day, turns into week after week, turns into year after year. I know for some of us, the younger guys who are still young, dumb, and full of cum, they have dreams and goals of making it big, and being success full. For me when I was younger it was all about football, then college ball, then power lifting, the kids and life took over, and now the last 3 years Im back at body building. Will I ever compete, probably not.....

Why do us older guys keep doing this, for what reason.? Im 41, why to I keep trying to be bigger badder than the next guy. Why cant I just be happy with fit and in-shape, and healthy.

All Opinions Welcomed.

The Old Man

The only thing that has changed Bro is your age,( & mental maturity!).. I'm sure there a some foods you loved as a kid & still have a "soft spot" for too. What we do (I'm a kickboxer who lifts as well), is our nature. However as we get older, we think, feel pain, see beyond to consequences of our present actions more now than ever!!!
So it's almost a double edged blade! I started to "feel it"(pain) around 25. Had several injuries I had always ignored. Then after I had an AC separation in my R shoulder. I started taking pain meds. What a real bad move for a guy who's a glutton w/an addictive personality! Would up with a monkey on my back for a few years to it got too bad & I just had to fall back & knock that shit off! & most embarrassingly has to seek help! I feel you Bro so much! Too boot I have an awesome wife & two of the best kids I've ever seen,,& teens now!! I have less & less time to workout, for a while I REALYY CRANKED UP my workouts. That just ended up w/ joint pain & muscle soreness!.... All I can say my Brother, keep your priorities straight! No matter the cost! & those priorities are your kids, wife, $, etc.. & in that order! Take care of you Bro!

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I'm about to turn 48 next month and I train because I've been training pretty much non-stop since junior high school. Maybe since I've been doing it for so long, it's comforting... you know, one of the few things in my life that doesn't seem to be in flux.

Having said that, in just the last year or two I've been pulling back on the heavy weights after suffering a few injuries. (not crazy serious ones, but ones I didn't deal with in my younger days). I've had to face the fact that I can't push myself as hard as I used to if I want to stay healthy and active, which is now become more important to me than being big. Also, most of us get to the point where we're "big enough." For example, I'm about 230 and am not really too interested in being much bigger. I'd like to be "better" (leaner, better shoulders, etc.) but not necessarily any bigger.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Well it's better than beating the shit out of people.
41 here as well. As long as I train smart I'm good.
I'm still competitive with the younger gals so it pushes me to continue

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
No longer have the desire not ability to train heavy anymore. So now i train for the fun of it, i like the way i look and feel when im training. And within the lasr few months my 15 year old daughter has been training with me. Most fun ive ever had training is with her.

R

RolondeBradshaw

Jul 15, 2014
I'm noticing a few posts with addiction! I'm an ex-addict and when I got clean I had a low opinion of myself both physically and mentally. To change the physical I started lifting and my confidence, self-belief and body grew. I'm 39, not old and train because its who I am - lifting is 'my thing' an area of my life I have control over. Great thread!

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
I do it because I love the way it makes me feel. It's a challenge, an outlet for my aggression, a way to express both my positive and more primitive emotions.

I also like the way it makes me look.

My quad days are pretty brutal overall to the body because of the hard work being done by the largest muscles in the body, but I don't really go to the point where I feel like I'm "killing myself" on a chest, arm, or shoulder day when much smaller muscles are being worked and the overall stress to the body is much less.

I usually leave the gym feeling like I could do a little more if I had to or wanted to. I'm not really into the HIT / BFT / forced reps, screaming and yelling stuff. I have vomited on occasion after a hard quad workout, but never from doing curls.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic