pbtom
What's New?

Smoked Pork Shoulder

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
@MR. BMJ inspired me to pull this 12lber out of the freezer and smoke this weekend. Did split chicken breasts on Saturday and then did this bad boy today. Threw it on at 7am, it hit 205 by 315, took it off, wrapped it in heavy foil, then wrapped it in a towel and let it rest in the oven till 5. Bone pulled right out and it fell apart.
This was the first time i smoked it with the fat cap at the bottom, seemed a littler dryer, wonder if the fat cap on top stops some evaporation?

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I don’t take pictures of food, but we had thanksgiving tonight.
No pie though :(

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Hey LK, I did an 8lb pork shoulder on Saturday on my smoker's maiden voyage. I also have a vertical propane smoker like yours. I got the meat in there at 9am, and chamber temp was around 250, but it took me almost eleven hours until internal meat temp hit 201. Don't know if a pork shoulder experiences a "stall", but mine seemed to stop in its tracks at about 155 degrees, and moved only about 5-8 degrees over 90 minutes, and then after I pulled it out and wrapped it at 165 degrees, it seemed to proceed at a more normal rate.

The pulled pork turned out very nice. Extremely juicy, the fat incorporated into the meat, and tasted great. Very pleased for my first time.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
There is a stall @tommyguns2 but 11 hours for an 8lb shoulder seems extensive. The stall is when the meat & fat release fluid and self cool/stalls heat absorption.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Agreed that 11 hours seems way too long. I had a two probe digital thermometer system in there, with one probe measuring chamber temp and the other probe measuring the internal meat temp. I think I was accurate in that respect... but my wood box seems kind of small, and I was using apple chunks, and probably not keeping that refreshed like I should. I wouldn't think that should matter, but what do you think?

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I could use that for lunch today!

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Fuck that looks DELICIOUS!!

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
You flavor inject it? I will use some flavoring and salts in olive oil and inject the shit out of it. It comes tasty and not as dry. You can also use Liquid Smoke with the injector if you like a more deep smokey taste.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Damn, that's a huge pork shoulder, it looks like you have a big turkey in the racks, lol. That thing looks awesome though!

I always keep the fat cap in the direction of where the heat source is....so I have it down since the my smoker's heat comes from underneath/below.

I imagine the larger size needs more cooking time, and it may have a greater chance of getting dryer...just a guess. That said, it cooked about the same time as my 2 butts did last week.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
@tommyguns2 have you discovered the goodness of the cold pickers in the leftovers? Just found a few crunchy burnt ends while I was grabbing some leftovers for dinner.

Also fried some up for lunch and dumped egg whites on it. drizzled some sugar free BBQ on top of that protein pile.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
@tommyguns2 have you discovered the goodness of the cold pickers in the leftovers? Just found a few crunchy burnt ends while I was grabbing some leftovers for dinner.

Also fried some up for lunch and dumped egg whites on it. drizzled some sugar free BBQ on top of that protein pile.

I did warm some up in the oven Sunday evening and put on a kaiser roll with BBQ sauce and it was excellent. I do love the textured bark pieces.... Looks like I've got some learning to do on creative ways to eat it! LOL

I'm a big salmon fan. Do you ever smoke salmon?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic